Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Spike x Rarity (Sparity)

Discolt

No.

Spike was born when Twilight Sparkle was just a foal. Assuming that all of the Mane 6 are the same age, Spike would be, what, 3-4 years behind them. If you ask me, that wouldn't be too much of a problem.

• Brohoof 1

HA HA HA HA HA HAA! Oh! *snort snort* A ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Oh wait, that was a serious question.

Let's review the facts. One, Spike is half Rarity's height. Two, he is MUCH too childish for Rarity to like (at moment). Three, HE'S A FREAKIN' BABY! GOD PEOPLE!

• Brohoof 1

Oh great, another one of these...oy vey. I understand why people ask stuff like this, but really people?

1. It's a Cartoon

2. WE DON'T KNOW ANY OF THEIR ACTUAL AGES (Lauren Faust herself has said the mane cast weren't given actual ages but were mentally the equivlant of human teens 12-18.)

3. There both mythological creatures I mean if a Dragon and a Donkey can get together in shrek (and c'mon we know that Dragon was much older and larger then that donky, lol) and aliens can get together with humans, bald martial artists can marry androids, Spike & Rarity getting together isn't that far fetched or odd.

And yes technically Spike is the youngest of the group, as he was hatched when Twilight was a Filly (my guess is only slightly younger then the CMC are now) But still, I dont' see any reason the two characters can't end up together once all is said & done. Of course the two developing an actual romantic relationship during the show just isn't going to happen, this is a kids show after all, and its FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC NOT FRIENDSHIPPING, lol. But yes I for one do expect Spike to win over Rarity once the show comes to a close, just like I expect to get to see what the CMC's cutie marks will be and Rainbow Dash to at least get offered a chance at the Wonderbolts. But again not until a series finale, final season type situation. Maybe a film.

But ahh yeah, I don't think anyones to old or to young for anybody because we don't know any of the characters actual ages.

I don't think it's his age that is the main concern. It's the fact that he loves her and usually, with a love as intense as his, he wants it to end up as a marriage. And marriages usually involve having kids. Now, please explain how a dragon and a horse can have kids.

Well Donkey and Dragon had mutant babies. But somehow I do not think that they can get that intimate in the show -- at least so long as one is a dragon and one is a pony. My thought above was serious also -- I could see spike jumping at the chance to be a pony and finding out things are lots different and not all better that way.

I don't think it's his age that is the main concern. It's the fact that he loves her and usually, with a love as intense as his, he wants it to end up as a marriage. And marriages usually involve having kids. Now, please explain how a dragon and a horse can have kids.

In many works of fiction its established that Dragons have the ability to mate with any creature they wish. And again theres Kirin which are basically unicorn/dragon hybrids.

Plus again I know people hate this agrument, but cartoon logic does not equate to real world logic, we've already seen this in a way with the baby cakes, one being a unicorn and the other a pegasus while both parents were earth ponies, sure Mr. Cake gave us some quick explanation as to how that happened, but heck even he didn't seem to belive it with his whole "That makes sense right!?" comment, lol.

Basically in any work of fiction the only real limitation should be the writer/writers imaginations. At least IMO any who, thats why series like Adventure Time &/or Doctor Who are so popular, anything can happen. And in a way I think thats why MLP is so popular as well, its a magical world of talking pastel colored equine, dragons, griffons, etc, the possibilities for story telling are numerous!

And I do agree that age isn't that big of a concern, I mean i'm sure as Tardis knows the good old Doctor is married to a woman (River Song) who is around what 800 something years younger then him? Thats a pretty big age gap right there, lol.

Whenever I think of Rarity + Spike, I facedesk. Hard.

Beyond that, it wouldn't make much sense. Of course, people talk about him having Dragon Years on his age, but seriously. Let's look past that. He's a baby, and Rarity is an adult. Now, think, a baby + an adult getting married, relationship, etc.

It doesn't make sense to me.

Whenever I think of Rarity + Spike, I facedesk. Hard.

Beyond that, it wouldn't make much sense. Of course, people talk about him having Dragon Years on his age, but seriously. Let's look past that. He's a baby, and Rarity is an adult. Now, think, a baby + an adult getting married, relationship, etc.

It doesn't make sense to me.

Thats because your taking human logic and trying to apply it to a cartoon world. And as stated in Dragon Quest ponies don't know that much about dragons, spike has been refereed to as a baby dragon merely because of his short stature and the fact Twilight belives (as she has no reason not to) that all dragons are the same and have the same life span, habits, etc.

Personally I believe Secret Of My Excess & Dragon Quest were made to retcon that, I mean even Zecora Mentioned spike was maturing.

Not to mention on the back of the SOME MLP Trading card it calls Spike's growth Spurts "Teenage Growing Pains"

So at the very least, while still small in stature, Spike like the rest of the mane six is more comparable to a human teen then a baby or adult.

• Brohoof 1

I unfortunately don't think it'd ever work on for the two. Spike still isn't really mature enough, and dragons age extremely slowly (or at least I think they do) so by the time he was mature enough, she'd probably be really old or something. Unless the writers aren't following that growth model for dragons.

~~

It's only in the show as a cute crush. It's like a little kid who has a crush on a teenager. Rarity recognizes this and humors him with little kisses and paying attention to him.

They are never going to hook up within the show. Never.

@Regality: Thats the thing though we don't know what kind of Dragon Spike is or how he ages in comparison to winged dragons or ponies.

@Twilie: I agree, this is a kids show, no need for romance, spike & rarity won't start dating during the show, but I could see them ending up together or it hinting at such in the series finale (which hopefully won't be for many years to come as this great cartoon deserves to go on...FOREVER!!! lol.)

Forget age. I don't think he's even the right species.

However, I'm sure it will work out. Human-animal love does not work because one side is intelligent while the other is not.

In a world where many different animals are intelligent, I can see cross- specie love being considered acceptable.

Though they may run into problems when they reproduce. See: shrek.

I don't think Spike is going to end up with Rarity. Spike is just going threw a phase where he is in love with someone who is older. Rarity might also see that he is a young kid who is in love with an older girl. If Spike told her how he feels Rarity would let him down easy and say it would not work.

Like others said, Twilight got Spike when she was a filly and now she is (assuming) in her young adult age. So that means Spike can't be too much younger than the rest of them when it comes to pony years.

He might be too young in growth if you know what I mean, but he has a good heart. I would say Spike would be somewhere around the age of fillies such as the CMC and Rarity is problaby at an age of an adolescent.

I'm still not sure how things would turn out...

I personally think that he is indeed too young. Although the question asked won't affect the show, I'll still tell you my views on it, however pointless this may be. For one thing, spike is a baby, or a young child. Who knows anymore... I think that all of the characters in the mane 6 are around 18 or 20 or so. Young adults or late teenagers. Either way, my answer to this question is yes.

Scootabloom, that's what I mean by "Who knows anymore." He was hatched when twilight was a young child, probably between 4-8. Although it has been a long time, Twilight still says that he's a baby dragon. I think the writers need to clarify this.

Edited by grimthedevilish123

Not to mention on the back of the SOME MLP Trading card it calls Spike's growth Spurts "Teenage Growing Pains"

So at the very least, while still small in stature, Spike like the rest of the mane six is more comparable to a human teen then a baby or adult.

If those cards are canon then that would mean Spike really isnt a baby because babies dont get teen growth spurts. Its obvious that the reason why ponies call him a baby dragon is because DQ has proven ponies know nothing about dragons.

No, in fact spike seems more "interested" than just about anypony of the mane 6 age on down. I mean the cutie mark crusaders obviously are still in that mushy is sicky mindset -- yes they like the idea of their teacher and Big Macintosh but the minute it got gooey they got sick. Judging by Ms Cake in that episode as well, overt affection looks to be a little frowned on in ponyville.

As for the mane 6, it seems only the unicorns are into the idea. I can't really ever see pinkie pie settling down. Rainbow Dash and Applejack also do not seem the type unless love really snuck up on one of them. Fluttershy is more interested in her animals than romance, although there it is at least possible given the right circumstances. Rarity is the only one actively looking (in all the wrong places), and Twilight -- well, if you pushed the right buttons I think she would melt.

Rarity's handling it extremely well. Keeping Spike happy and not using him too much. Anyways if Spike got a bit too far there's always Opalescence to sort him oot.

• Brohoof 1

It seems that Rarity is sparing Spike's feelings. Spike has a crush on her, but she doesn't take it serious. It's like:"Oh, that little boy has a crush on me. So cutee :3"

And tries not to reveal that she thinks that about him.

I mean, Spike is just a baby, and Rarity is a grown up pony. It would be weird looking at them dating :P

• Brohoof 1

It might be more normal if Spike was older since dragons live a very long time in the pony world, but the fact that her is a different species makes it a little creepy for a kids show, not to mention his little "dream" in "A Dog and Pony Show".

Rarity can be really mature and really juvenile about it, but I think of it like a Grade 3 kid being in love with his teacher-puppy love :P

• Brohoof 1