Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Languages You Like

Surface

I have to go with Latin. It makes everything look and sound cool. I don't really know the language, though. I just have exposure to it through Renaissance music I listen to. Still it makes everything sound sooo cool. But I have a strange "fascination" (I don't really know what to call it, it's more like I'm entranced by it. lol) with Renaissance and Medieval and before stuff... Latin being a dead language that was in use in those times gives it such a quality for me.

Perhaps it's also the music, but I've always liked the titles for the pieces... Such as "Te Lucis Ante Terminum" (I believe means "Before the ending"), "O Nata Lux de Lumine" (I believe means "Oh born light of light"). Even though they have a religious basis which I neither follow nor even personally respect, I love the music, and of course, language.

i've seen that a lot of ponies want to learn italian eh? beautifull language indeed... but i warn you it's very difficut.. we study it since we are born up to the college... lots of small details... english is so freaking easy! someday i will start to learn german again.. the only thing that i remember for school is "ich liebe dich!" (i love you)

It's not that complicated.  Not if you're French at least.  The languages are so similar it's not even funny.  The grammatical structure is identical, the verbs are clearly separated (seriously, in French there's like ''er'' group, ''ir'' group and ''everything else'' group.  The only thing that can get on my nerves is how half the gendered nouns in Italian are the opposite in French (il tavolo, il pomodoro, la tigre)  Though, sometimes they make more sense than French's.

• Brohoof 1

It's not that complicated.  Not if you're French at least.  The languages are so similar it's not even funny.  The grammatical structure is identical, the verbs are clearly separated (seriously, in French there's like ''er'' group, ''ir'' group and ''everything else'' group.  The only thing that can get on my nerves is how half the gendered nouns in Italian are the opposite in French (il tavolo, il pomodoro, la tigre)  Though, sometimes they make more sense than French's.

you're right... but what i was trying to say is that learning english is far far far easir for an italian to learn compared to a native english that wants to learn italian...  for the gender.. maybe our makes more sense becuase they are directely derivate from latin... germans have a neutral too! (der, die, das)

• Brohoof 1

you're right... but what i was trying to say is that learning english is far far far easir for an italian to learn compared to a native english that wants to learn italian...  for the gender.. maybe our makes more sense becuase they are directely derivate from latin... germans have a neutral too! (der, die, das)

Y'know, it's funny that you say that, because I find Italian no harder than Spanish or English, and I'm a native English speaker!  It could be due to the unusual way I view language-learning, though.  I like to think of them in a mathematical sense, where certain words simply "are equivalent to" their counterpart words in the other languages.

• Brohoof 2

Y'know, it's funny that you say that, because I find Italian no harder than Spanish or English, and I'm a native English speaker!  It could be due to the unusual way I view language-learning, though.  I like to think of them in a mathematical sense, where certain words simply "are equivalent to" their counterpart words in the other languages.

nice way to study! i based the language study more on how the words and the phrase "sound" something i can't even explain.. usually i talk while i write in another language... that's why often i do some grammar mistakes on words...

i based the language study more on how the words and the phrase "sound" something i can't even explain

Yeah, I know what you mean.  It's kind of hard to explain how you study something when it just plain makes sense that way!  I've read about that learning style, and I must admit, it has intrigued me.  One more thing to add to my overflowing bucket list... 

• Brohoof 2

By the time I die, I'd like to be trilingual, speaking English, French, and German. English is good, French is getting there, and I know a bit of German. I say those three because most of my ancestry is from France and Germany (and I myself am American laugh.png ).

Aside from those, I can't say I "like" any. I can't say I "dislike" any either, though.

Except Spanish. Dangit school, I don't care about learning Spanish. dry.png

*Note, I mean no disrespect to anyone who speaks Spanish. I've simply had bad experiences with your language that have left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sorry.*

• Brohoof 2

I like german, italian,..english...i speak these languages,..well..because they are easier than my native language...PHAH english is so bloody easy,...my language still uses dual O.o

Just to add, many English words have originated from India's languages. Here are some examples:

Bungalow is derived from Bangla, which means house.

Cot is derived from Khat, which means bed.

Bandanna is derived from Bandhana, which means bond.

Pyjama is derived from Paijaamaa, which means leg garment, which was coined by the Persian term Payjameh

Edited by LED Dasher

I'm native Arabic language speaker and I'm capable of speaking in English fluently with an Accent.
By far, I like the both languages and the Russian language.
I may attempt to learn some Russian in future. :P

I'm native Arabic language speaker and I'm capable of speaking in English fluently with an Accent.

By far, I like the both languages and the Russian language.

I may attempt to learn some Russian in future. tongue.png

Omigosh, I really want to learn Arabic a lot.  It's, like, in my top ten for languages I must learn at least to fluency!

I like CSS languages...oh you ment like actual languages..um yeah I only know english, but i speak BB code if that counts

This!  I totally agree!  Computer languages rock!

I've been a big fan of German, Dutch and Russian for quite some time now. Not sure what it is about them that pulls me in, but I like the phonetics of each language, even though it's pretty widely agreed by English speakers that guttural languages are "harsh" or "ugly" sounding. I suppose one of the things I find fascinating about Russian is the Cyrillic alphabet, which overall just looks more badass than the Latin alphabet IMO.

If I could learn any dead language, it'd be Anglo-Saxon...Latin can bite me.

• Brohoof 1

I've been a big fan of German, Dutch and Russian for quite some time now. Not sure what it is about them that pulls me in, but I like the phonetics of each language, even though it's pretty widely agreed by English speakers that guttural languages are "harsh" or "ugly" sounding. I suppose one of the things I find fascinating about Russian is the Cyrillic alphabet, which overall just looks more badass than the Latin alphabet IMO.

I completely agree.  Guttural sounds are two things, among others: fun to make and just plain cool.

• Brohoof 2

This!  I totally agree!  Computer languages rock!

This!

Before I start learning Russian, I'll try to learn Java script and BBCode language.

These languages would really help me in future. :)

• Brohoof 1

This!

Before I start learning Russian, I'll try to learn Java script and BBCode language.

These languages would really help me in future. smile.png

Absolutely.  I want to learn JavaScript, too!  And btw, your avatar is so friggin' adorable!!!!!

Here are my top 5 languages (that I speak, my mother language not included)

1. Slavianoserbski (Slavic-Serbian I guess, some call it Church-Slavic)
  2. Russian
  3. French
  4. Italian
  5. English

That's a pretty impressive list, Rav!  What's Slavianoserbski?  I've never heard of it!

• 4 years later...

I would really like to know how to speak Japanese and be able to read the characters they use in manga since some of the manga I really like are only found either online as scanlations or I'd have to buy the original manga itself and be able to read it that way.

I'd also like to learn Korean at some point, for no reason.

Ojibwe is also another one since that is part of my cultural heritage.

Sign language is also another one!  This one time I ran into a deaf man who was trying to find a doctor's office and I felt really bad about having to use pen and paper with him.