Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How long did it take for you to get the 'Fluttershy is a tree' joke?

Rainbow Eclipse

Are we talking about the moment in Hurricane Fluttershy (if that's the right one) where Fluttershy hides from Rainbow Dash by disguising as a tree? I've heard of it only about before the episode aired.

But are we just talking about that scene, or is there a hidden joke I'm not getting? Can someone please explain to me?

Are we talking about the moment in Hurricane Fluttershy (if that's the right one) where Fluttershy hides from Rainbow Dash by disguising as a tree? I've heard of it only about before the episode aired.

But are we just talking about that scene, or is there a hidden joke I'm not getting? Can someone please explain to me?

I think the whole joke started back in that episode all the way in season 1 when they go to Appaloosa(SP)? and Fluttershy randomly just said "I would like to be a tree". 

• Brohoof 3

I think the whole joke started back in that episode all the way in season 1 when they go to Appaloosa(SP)? and Fluttershy randomly just said "I would like to be a tree".

Yup, and since then it has become a running gag along with Scootaloo's association with flightless birds. 

In addition to saying she'd like to be a tree and hiding in a tree costume in Hurricane Fluttershy, she also escaped Ponyville in Magic Duel by hiding inside a hollowed out log. 

Exactly 1.18943675 seconds. That's how long it took for my brain to remind me of the line from Over a Barrel. That's all there is to the joke as far as I know. I'm fairly confident it's just a subtle reference that's not supposed to actually satirize anything.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not exactly sure, it's been a joke for a while. I do remember that I kinda liked it, especially the scene with RD and Pinkie in the train-car. The episode where she actually disguises herself as a tree surprised me, although it was hilarious. And I also enjoyed listening to "Avast Fluttershy's Ass". I didn't like the title, but you gotta admit, it's a great song.

I once saw a pic on Funnyjunk of a chicken sitting on Fluttershy's head with the caption: "Scootaloo in a tree"

I was confused for months, but then I bounght the DVDs and rewatched "Stare Master" and "Over A Barrel" and I now get the joke...needless to say it's quite clever.

Less time than it should have.

There's a whole slew of quote-unquote "jokes" the fandom has made about certain characters that were funny exactly one time, and then get overplayed. The list I know of:

Derpy likes muffins

Fluttershy is a tree

Scootaloo is a chicken

Spike is the new Rainbow Dash

Most are based off singular lines in the show. That first one is based on one vague ad-libbing that might not have even been Derpy speaking.

Oh for Pete's sake!img-387689-1-5e7kmu.png  I had no idea that she was being sarcastic! I mean, I knew she wasn't actually serious that Fluttershy was a tree, but now I get it. I guess I just didn't care enough to think about it.derpy_emoticon1.png

It took me months to get that joke haha. I was confused for a while. It took me rewatching that episode 2 or 3 times, and watching that particular scene a million times plus searching around the internet about it until I finally got it. She sounded literal so it was difficult. I'm usually a little slow at getting things like that. When I finally figured out, I thought it was amusing. :)