S04:E01+02 - Princess Twilight Sparkle

Yellow Diamond

597 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Even though i had some problems in the beggining and missed a bit on the start, It was fantastic!

i really thought Discord was innocent smile.png

There was all this awesome stuff there is to much to list, but i will take my favourites:

the backstory parts

Pinkie pie being Pinkie pie

Like, everyhing Discord biggrin.png

And the box... sweet Luna, it will be interesting to see what will happen to it!

Edited by swe brony
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's just not your type of episode maybe. MLP seems to be at it's best at Slice of Life stories and this just wasn't one. Do you like these kinds of mlp episodes? You know the Adventure type ones?

Well, I absolutely loved the Return of Harmony episodes... Are those adventure-y? :P I really haven't disliked an episode yet until this one. The story just seemed non-existent... Maybe I'm overlooking something as usual. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Loved it! for some reason the new intro didn't appear on my stream but other then that it blew me away! 

I also loved the flashbacks and Discord parts were hilarious.  

The only thing that changed really was the group photo part of the intro. xD

• Brohoof 1

Scribbler wants to see what's in the box. wub.png

Oh man, my hopes have been replenished for this season. S3 was such a disappointment with only 13 episodes and a very rushed finale, I'm very happy with this opener. Well done Hasbro.. Well done indeed.

It looks like we've got some new challenges without those elements. But that's not to say they can't retrieve them, the tree is healthy again.

My hopes include

-Revive King Sombra and/or Queen Chrysalis

-more crystal ponies

-more action in the main episodes.

Nice episode overall.  I liked the flashbacks. None of the stream sites listed on Equistria Daily worked for me, luckily the brony show was working so i was able to watch it.  Though as I expected they had a quick ending.  That seems to be their style, very similar to the silver age dc comics so no surprise there.  Well done beginnings, middles and very quick endings.  Nice that Luna is in the opening and was around more.  Guess she's gotten a promotion to background pony instead of cameo pony like she seemed to have been before for the most part.

I thought the fact that the Mane 6 had to give up the safety of their elements was a unique plot point.

Now Discord pretty much has to threat against him so he can pretty much do whatever he wants if he wanted to but I guess Fluttershy got to him by now. It's a pretty good thing that they rely on the elements of harmony but from now hon they won't have them anymore. 

For me, it was probably just enough to redeem My Little Pony for Equestria Girls, but not so much as to be groundbreaking; after all, it's a show based after girls' toys from the eighties, and the original distaff counterpart to Transformers.  Twilight's friends compensated for not accompanying her into the mirror, and retained their resourcefulness.  Hell, they even sent Twilight back to Ponyville, just because she was princess, before eventually rescuing her so that she could help them figure out the Tree of Harmony!

They were a team, as they were meant to be.

Only problem I had was that there was no song. And even without the song it felt complete, so I loved it.

I believe it was because that it was too serious of a situation to even sing...but, I sure do wish. x3

• Brohoof 1

I loved it. The flashback scenes were cool to watch, Discord was hilarious and I liked the plot twist where discord planted the seeds.

Other highlights

the mane six all pinkie promising

spike wearing a seat belt on twilight

discord in the shower

discord's word play

• Brohoof 2

To introduce the old elements. But I didn't it was nessasary too

Yeah, but they could've easily done that in another flashback :P Timewasting fan service noted! Although I'm not displeased. 

The 6 Key-Keepers:

Rainbow Dash's boss = a calm, cool world-champion master flyer with flying/wind attacks 

Applejack's boss = an old-fashioned, honor/pride master farmer that can grow plants instantly with plant attacks 

Pinkie Pie's boss = Vinyl Scratch, Equestria-renowned party DJ who can use musical attacks

Rarity's boss = flamboyant/vain master designer that can manipulate materials and tools for attacks

Fluttershy's boss = hotheaded master animal ranger that uses animals to attack

Twilight's boss = Sunset Shimmer who has the Alicorn Amulet + Sombra's magic + Discord's chaos captured

let's do it writers

I think it would just be better to just give each mane 6 pony thier own episode and then by the end of it. Each of them overcome and learn thier lesson and then they find each individual key! Fighting each enemy like a boss seems a bit...........out of the genre of this show. You know? I mean don't get me wrong. It sounds very interesting for a fan fiction or something but shouldn't be canon.

Edited by Tyler Blu Gunderson
  • Brohoof 1

I Liked it a lot. have to agree that it did seem to have a bit of "fine you want history here. now go away" feel about it. but liked it none the less. interesting plot twists and nice set up to keep season 4 going without relying on the letter to celesta bit. (hope that was not saying to much) and how do I do the spoiler thing? 

the way discord behaved in this episode reminded me more of q than a chaos god. o wait close to the same thing.

I swear making posts for this board may finally get me to improve my spelling

Edited by Noodles
  • Brohoof 1

(Spoilers are in the spoiler boxes, you have been warned.)

First off: I did like it. However, I think it felt a touch rushed, honestly. They tried to fit too many concepts into 44 min.

(1) Being a Princess won't undermine the friendships of the Mane 6 coupled with (2) Deaus Ex Machina Brand flash-back soda world building and (3) evil plant monster... All cool stuff, just too much for the time frame.

But hey!

We got some canon back-story of the Princesses and Discord; which is huge to me.

And now...

The Mane Six are off on a season-spanning fetch quest to open that darned box! happy.png

And, best of all: 

Discord in a French Maid's outfit! "I don't do windows." lols~

All in all, a good start to the season. I'm looking forward to what comes next.

The Deus Ex Potion did bother me a bit too, but I was willing to let it slide, because I've seen worse plot contrivances.

• Brohoof 2

The fight scenes were really amazing. And I don't know what that box was . PLot device maybe?

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe some ultimate evil will show up at the end of season 4 and whatever is inside the box will help destroy it.

So in the long run Discord helped! lol

• Brohoof 1

Wait so you're saying that you dislike the fact Twilight isn't use to flying?

What? No. I dislike that she did something she only would  be able to do if she were good at flying, but twilight is new to flying and she shouldn't be able to do that. But again, whatever

• Brohoof 2

Okay.

That...that was just neat.  Cx  I loved it.

And Discord.

Oh my God, Discord.

I didn't think it was possible for me to adore you any more than I do, but I do.

And, what was up with Twilight's freaky dark magic?

Also, my head canons all died.

I'mma gonna have to write a huge wall of text to explain this to my blog.

• Brohoof 1

These 2 premiere episodes were actually pretty good. The fact that they had to give up the elements of harmony was rather interesting to me. They'll have to come up with new ways to fight the bad guys. Also they have to find they keys for that box. I can already tell this is going to be a great season!

• Brohoof 1

Am I the only one that thought this episode was just... Awful? It just seemed more like a showcase of ponies rather than a story that facilitates them. There just wasn't much in it for me to like, I guess. :/

Maybe it's just my mood, or maybe I'm just on a hating spree after watching the horrendous book 2 of Korra...

Either way, here's hoping the rest of the season will impress me... I'll have to watch it again to get my true feelings on it worked out.

I am sooo happy that I am not the only one who didnt like the season 2 of Korra... the whole season was a miss or hit, most of the time being a miss (the only redeeming factor was Uncle Iroh was in the last 2 or so episodes).

But back to ponies,  I disagree with you on the opinion you set forth.  I think that if anything this premiere set into motion a season lasting arc that could be very interesting to say the least.  Not only that but it gives me so ideas as to why the Apple are traveling when they are singing "Apple's to the Core" (the song that was shown at one of the cons before the premiere) as well as to why Pinkie might be traveling with them.  Either way I can somewhat see your point, buy I thought that overall the premiere was good and I hope that you enjoy the rest of the season more

• Brohoof 1