Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Idea: A Star for MLP:FiM on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

Sholem Itzhak

Hello everybody (and “every-pony”). First, here’s a question for all of you: Where is one of the best places to look for Stars (besides the sky)? The Hollywood Walk of Fame is one excellent place you’ll find lots of stars, and it would seem that they still have room for many more.

Yes, so many well known figures in media at least many of us look up to have one or more stars on that Walk of Fame we call Hollywood img-2031412-1-img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png :

-Take Fred Rogers for example; he’ll forever be remembered as a true pioneer in children’s television and a dedicated advocate for nurturing public television. Why wouldn’t he deserve a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: http://static1.imagecollect.com/preview/560/5c5634d68b7c507

-There’s also Jack Webb; he’s best known as the producer of classic television shows including but not limited to “Adam-12”, “Emergency” and of course “Dragnet” (in which he also played the title character, “Joe Friday”; and he certainly knew how to make a statement). He carries a badge and 2 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (1 for Radio, 1 for Television).

-And of course, there’s Jim Henson and his Muppets. I think I need not say more with this one. Not only does Jim Henson himself have a star, but so does Big Bird and Kermit The Frog.

-Hanna Barbera has a Star, The Rugrats have a Star, Neil Patrick Harris (from “Doogie Howser M.D.”) has a Star, even Shrek (from Dreamworks’ adaption of “Shrek!”) has a Star (hmm… perhaps Dr. De Soto should try for one too).img-2031412-2-biggrin.png

Now here’s a very special “Star” from the historical Apollo 11 mission to the Moon, which was broadcast on TV: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HollywoodWalkOfFameMoonAtHollywoodAndVine.jpg img-2031412-3-wacko.png

Now how about “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic”? I’m certain many of you will agree that this franchise deserves a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. img-2031412-4-img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png After all, MLP:FiM transformed the My Littile Pony toy line from just another average line of toys for girls into a popular, amazing and fantastic icon that is inspiring so many people. MLP:FiM also helped to launch “The Hub Network”, which we can all agree is one of the best things to happen in today’s television and is a role model for what good television should look like. The stories are robust and have "an edge" and there are eye-popping stunts (such as Twilight accidentally knocking a vase of flowers off her table in “The Ticket Master”), and yet the show is still able to be mentally healthy, moral, nurturing and informative as well as entertaining and charming to watch; in the immediate decade from before this show was aired, you would never have expected such a combination of edge and morality to work on Television.

MLP:FiM has also inspired a sort of movement that no other television show has: the “Brony” movement. The Brony movement has encouraged people to further proliferate the show and the nourishing moral values and messages of Friendship, Harmony and Collective Wellbeing the show delivers; it has encouraged viewers to make suggestions and contributions to the show on a larger scale than any other show before it; the movement has encouraged artists to turn to the show for inspiration, and I am very pleased to see charming works of art such as “Snowdrop”, “Children of the Night”, plush toys and many of those “OCs” such as Lauren Faust’s self portrait of herself as an Alicorn; and it has encouraged people or organize for philanthropic purposes and help make the world a better place, “Bronies for Good” is one notable example. I also really enjoy seeing the show’s crew getting involved with the “Brony” movement and/or general fandom; and what other show’s crew gets involved with its viewers and listens to them on such as large scale?

My point is that while I can understand that many might think otherwise, I think we can agree that “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” is indeed a pioneering television program unlike any program before it; and I therefore think that a special star should be dedicated to it on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. So here’s what we should do:

Anybody reading this should organize a group and this group then starts a fundraiser on Kickstarter (or something similar) and gets a movement going; this movement should even try to get the show’s crew involved. One a large movement and adequate funding is attained, the movement should begin making plans for and pushing for a special star on the walk of fame. I personally would suggest a special star that’s shaped like Twilight Sparkle’s cute mark (http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2011/355/0/9/twilight_sparkle_cutie_mark_by_iluvpokemonman-d4jr9ov.jpg) and the other 5 “mane six’s” cute marks surrounding. Each star needs to be approved; so I would also suggest starting a large petition for the show’s fans and general viewers to voice their support of a Star for MLP:FiM on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. See this page for more details: http://voices.yahoo.com/how-star-hollywood-walk-fame-its-207912.html As one more suggestion, I would suggest spreading the word online, perhaps though posts on more forums, and though Art on DeviantArt and videos on YouTube that support a Special Star for MLP:FiM on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame; we should probably also try to get Equestria Daily to cover the movement.

Well everybody (and “every-pony”), there you have it. I look forward to see what you all might do to push for a Special Star for MLP:FiM on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame; you can let me know on this topic.

-“Stay ‘Pony’ My Friends” img-2031412-5-smile.png

Edited by Sholem Itzhak
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Under normal circumstances I would have said no, because I've always had the personal belief that the Hollywood Walk of Fame should be reserved for individual people who are famous because of work they've done in/around/with Hollywood.

However the examples you listed, and more that I looked up, includes entire shows, fictional characters, and people who only set foot in Hollywood when forced to do so.

So my objections are invalid, if I'm honest. I would say that the desirability of such a Star is a lot more diluted than what I had assumed, but I can see wanting MLP to get at minimum the same recognition as Rugrats and the Simpsons, so I'm all for this.

• Brohoof 1

I would want it to be a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame but, it would have to be a legitimate reason for it to be there. The walk of fame is preferably for people who have earned their star to be on the Walk of Fame or, they have conducted work in Hollywood. MLP deserves a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, just as other shows deserve it.

• Brohoof 1

Not quite. I freaking adore this show but time should determine whether or not it deserves a star.

Hannah Barbara made long-lasting impacts on the field of western animation as a whole.

This show is refined and done very well. Much better than any other girls show I've watched BUT I wouldn't call this show super innovative and industry changing. I think once this show has ended and it's lasting impact has been continued by it's fans many years later, then we should talk Walk of Fame.

• Brohoof 2

My point is that while I can understand that many might think otherwise, I think we can agree that “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” is indeed a pioneering television program unlike any program before it; and I therefore think that a special star should be dedicated to it on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. 

The problem with this is, beyond Bronies, the show hasn't really had much of a cultural impact. It' a good show and all, but there are many other series/films/whatever that deserve a star more than MLP does.

The problem with this is, beyond Bronies, the show hasn't really had much of a cultural impact. It' a good show and all, but there are many other series/films/whatever that deserve a star more than MLP does.

You know, I would compare that remark to the remarks certain people I assume sometimes make that claim The Occupy movement has not had much of a cultural impact because you don't see it covered on basic TV, Radio and Newspaper. The Occupy Movement(s) and The Brony Movement(s) are similar in which although they are not recognized that much by mainstream media, they indeed have a large and positive cultural impact that is helping to get people involved to make the world a better and happier place.

Let me ask you 2 more questions: How many other “series/films/whatever” looked to its viewers and fans for inspiration and listened to them? How many other “series/films/whatever” inspired a movement that spreads happiness, friendship and collective wellbeing, inspires artists, and also started a charity (Bronies for Good)?

Anyone, including fans, can nominate anyone active in the field of entertainment as long as the nominee or his or her management approves the nomination (a letter of agreement from the nominated celebrity or representative must accompany the application). Nominees must have a minimum of five years' experience in the category for which they are nominated and a history of "charitable contributions"

Well the show hasn't been around for five years yet. The MLP franchise in general has but we want it to be an FIM square so the show has to run at least one more year.

I'm not sure how the charitiy thing works. We know fans contribute to charities.

A fee ($30,000 as of 2012), payable at time of selection, is collected to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as general maintenance of the Walk of Fame. The fee is usually paid by the nominating organization, which may be a fan club, or a film studio, record company, broadcaster, or other sponsor involved with the prospective honoree.

$30,000 shouldn't be a problem. Just a dollar each.

Edited by Fluttershutter

I think if the fan base keeps growing as it is and the impact of the show becomes more apparent then this would definitely be a possibility. But bronies are pretty much the only people affected by the show at the moment. To be completely honest, I could think of many shows more deserving than MLP. Bronies just aren't a big enough 'thing' yet.

oh this will happen just wait and see.

Now that's the spirit. B)

Be certain to spread the word; we are going to need substantial support from fans and general viewers alike. We should also have someone get the show's crew on board.

You know, I would compare that remark to the remarks certain people I assume sometimes make that claim The Occupy movement has not had much of a cultural impact because you don't see it covered on basic TV, Radio and Newspaper. 

That comparison wouldn't make a lot of sense, considering how I am criticizing  this idea for completely different reasons than the critics of the Occupy movement.

Let me ask you 2 more questions: How many other “series/films/whatever” looked to its viewers and fans for inspiration and listened to them?

IDK, you got me there. Although I'm pretty sure there are more.

How many other “series/films/whatever” inspired a movement that spreads happiness, friendship and collective wellbeing.

I wouldn't consider the Bronydom any different than any other fandom, and whether the fandom attempts to embody the elements promoted by the show is under dispute.

inspires artists,

Dude, lots of fandoms have lots and lots of fanart. This isn't unique to MLP, and MLP hasn't done anything game changing in that field either.

and also started a charity (Bronies for Good)?

Got me there too.

Hell, it's not even the Hasbro Property with the biggest cultural impact- which isn't really what the walk of fame measures anyway. There's a certain multi-billion dollar tv/toy/movie franchise with a fourth installment due out next summer...