Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

NeroAmentia

I don't mean to say, for certain, that she is no longer kind or friendly, but as we've seen in season four - she blatantly killed something. I can't recall a time in the show where something actually died besides when she shot a bolt from her horn and killed that plant. 

It died!

That specific plant actually died and she didn't think anything of it, she just saw it as something in her way. Also; that plant was more of an animal than just a regular plant. Imagine later in the show if it were another pony? What if Alicorns, from nature, are insane or evil? That would also explain why the Alicorn amulet was, by it's own, evil. 

Please discuss, I don't want to leave anything out of or not consider something behind this theory.

• Brohoof 1

Don't kids technically kill plants all the time when they garden as a hobby and pull weeds or mow the lawn for their allowance?

I mean, yeah-she 'killed' it-but, I think that's far from losing her innocence.

It's not like she killed an animal or another pony.

• Brohoof 5

im sorry but i think it just has showed how this show has grown from when it was just for 10 year olds to something people of all ages will love. 

if we do look at it as if it was a animal or a sentient creacher, i cant blame her for killing it. it was attacking her friends and almost killed her as well. if i was in that position i would have done the same thing. i wouldn't think any less of myself because of it ether. i protected the people( in this case ponies) i care about. it was a good act.

lets also not forget that the plants were running wild so who is to say that she kill the plant. she might have just stopped it. without the head it has no way to track/attack. so without that the rest of the plant goes limp to conserve energy and lets not forget that the tree of harmony annihilated all of them. not just broke apart( like sombra) it erased the plants. they are dead now that the elements are back in the tree.

just a little note to support you. i don't think im the only one who saw this but zacora said that the potion only works with alicorn magic. twilight used dark magic to change the potion. this tell me that alicorns are naturally dark creachers. dark, not evil just dark.

but i do understand where you are coming form. that did seem a little more violent then what we are use to and i am looking forward to what they do next

• Brohoof 3

If killer plants attacked us on earth (the triffods anyone??) and grew from the ground we'd kill them too and we wouldn't spend oodles of time debating the ethics of it. It's up there with pulling weeds and using weed be gone if the plants were even more dangerous and ATTACKING US. What would you recommend? Why do you go as far as arguing that "alicorns are insane or evil" or that she'd" do the same to another pony"? That's a SERIOUS leap of logic and without anything to justify it yet.

Sorry i just don't get this thread. I'm glad for the more mature tone of this season opener vs seeing this as an alarming trend to be afraid of.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 6

It's a %^ing plant. Are you serious? Do you get like this whenever you see the produce section at your local grocery store?

Besides, who decided "innocence" is defined by "I haven't killed something before"? If that's your definition, no living creature is innocent either in reality or (presumably) Equestria.

No offense, but this theory is rather far-fetched. It's a dangerous Everfree plant that attacked Twilight, not "just something in her way," and I don't get where you thought that this plant is like an animal. Alicorns–insane and evil? Are Celestia, Luna, and Cadence evil? Twilight was a made alicorn, not a born one.

Besides, it was only one part of the many tentacles of one big plant.

• Brohoof 8

im sorry but i think it just has showed how this show has grown from when it was just for 10 year olds to something people of all ages will love. 

if we do look at it as if it was a animal or a sentient creacher, i cant blame her for killing it. it was attacking her friends and almost killed her as well. if i was in that position i would have done the same thing. i wouldn't think any less of myself because of it ether. i protected the people( in this case ponies) i care about. it was a good act.

lets also not forget that the plants were running wild so who is to say that she kill the plant. she might have just stopped it. without the head it has no way to track/attack. so without that the rest of the plant goes limp to conserve energy and lets not forget that the tree of harmony annihilated all of them. not just broke apart( like sombra) it erased the plants. they are dead now that the elements are back in the tree.

just a little note to support you. i don't think im the only one who saw this but zacora said that the potion only works with alicorn magic. twilight used dark magic to change the potion. this tell me that alicorns are naturally dark creachers. dark, not evil just dark.

but i do understand where you are coming form. that did seem a little more violent then what we are use to and i am looking forward to what they do next

I don't mean to say I don't like it, I love that it's happened. I also noticed that the "Alicorn magic" looked exactly like dark magic, so I think everyone calling it Alicorn magic instead of dark magic is just so they don't upset Celestia (I'm not quite sure if it was a real memory or something I've fabricated but I think she even said she hated having to use it, likely because it would draw attention to it). But yea, it was more sentient that just a basic plant, and it was necessary for her to kill it though it was just unusual. I just view this as the beginning of a much darker show, or a darker place in it. 

No offense, but this theory is rather far-fetched. It's a dangerous Everfree plant that attacked Twilight, not "just something in her way," and I don't get where you thought that this plant is like an animal. Alicorns–insane and evil? Are Celestia, Luna, and Cadence evil? Twilight was a made alicorn, not a born one.

^ This. 

In addition to that thought, Twilight didn't even technically kill it. She simply "pruned" a bit off of a larger plant that just so happened to be attempting to kill her and her friends. And later, she didn't even kill the larger plant--the tree, no longer choked by Discord's plunder seeds, simply reigned in the Everfree and essentially did it's job.

I don't think this is at all a sign of the show going to a darker place. It's a plant! And even after that fact, it's self-defense!

• Brohoof 3

Are you kidding me? The plants were attacking herself and her friends, they were invading and were obviously not very friendly. The show doesn't take place in a "everything is happy and friendly" world, it shows that the show is so much more than just some random show for kids. They have to deal with real life situations and honestly, it was an evil plant. Come on.

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 2

It acted as it's own, showing some form of sentience, and when she blew up it's "head" it died, or at least was no longer a living part of the plant. I understand this does sound rather far-fetched though. Luna previously showed (though it was 1000 years ago) both insanity and evil. Celestia herself can show some hints of a much darker or perhaps even "evil" side.  Being born or not as an Alicorn wouldn't really matter, she's still an Alicorn with potentially extreme powers.

I just rewatched this bit. (34:20)

http://youtu.be/A5Amvg_dKc4

Firstly, the plant clearly attacked her. She was in an injured, semi-unconscious, delirious state. Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, she was saving Pinkie from harm!! Pinkie jumped up and said "Ta-da!", unknowing that the plant was sneaking up behind her. Twilight wasn't just acting in self-defense, she was being a hero.

And when has Celestia shown signs of having a dark side?

Edited by Miss Earl Grey
  • Brohoof 3

I wouldn't say she intentionally killed the plant just to kill it. It was a defensive maneuver, not a murder. Also they were part of the invasive Everfree forest which was messing everything up.

Edited by Digital Tears
  • Brohoof 1

Lost her innocence? I'm sorry but, how does Twilight killing a plant cause her to lose her innocence? She was left helpless and nearly unconscious from the Venus plant-like species that basically gassed her with some sort of toxic fumes. It isn't losing her innocence if she was fighting in self-defense after being attacked by them.

• Brohoof 1

I just rewatched this bit. (34:20)

http://youtu.be/A5Amvg_dKc4

Firstly, the plant clearly attacked her. She was in an injured, semi-unconscious, delirious state. Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, she was saving Pinkie from harm!! Pinkie jumped up and said "Ta-da!", unknowing that the plant was sneaking up behind her. Twilight wasn't just acting in self-defense, she was being a hero.

I understand that she killed it for a good reason, and I'm not saying she shouldn't. I'm simply saying that she actually killed something without caring. I suppose it's your point of view.

Celestia put her sister in the moon for 1000 years without hardly trying to reason to her, or even consider what she had she desired. She used dark magic like a pro. One of her first instincts to Chrysalis is to fight her. There are plenty of others, but I'm sure someone else has it all listed out.

Celestia put her sister in the moon for 1000 years without hardly trying to reason to her

She couldn't. Nightmare Moon wouldn't listen to reason; she was determined only to destroy Celestia.

or even consider what she had she desired

Once again. Nightmare Moon was unreasonable and merely turned into so because she was... well, jealous.

She used dark magic like a pro

And how do you know? Twilight said that the dark magic she used was "a little trick Celestia taught me" and I'm pretty sure it doesn't make her twisted and evil.

One of her first instincts to Chrysalis is to fight her

She was protecting her subjects. So technically, it's true that her first instinct was to protect her ponies. 

• Brohoof 1

It's a plant, though. I'm surprised you didn't bring up King Sombra, since he's at least sentient and self-aware.

The problem is that the plants aren't natural to begin with; they were spawned by Discord's magic. Therefore, it may not even be "alive" to begin with, just animated by magic.

• Brohoof 4

It was a plant, I'm sure we've all "killed" our fair share of them. How blades of grass do you think you damage walking across the yard, or laying things on top of them and cutting off the sunlight? Wanna talk about how many micro organisms, viruses, and bacteria we "kill" each day?

The point is, I would hardly call killing a plant anything big.  

• Brohoof 3

She couldn't. Nightmare Moon wouldn't listen to reason; she was determined only to destroy Celestia.

Once again. Nightmare Moon was unreasonable and merely turned into so because she was... well, jealous.

And how do you know? Twilight said that the dark magic she used was "a little trick Celestia taught me" and I'm pretty sure it doesn't make her twisted and evil.

She was protecting her subjects. So technically, it's true that her first instinct was to protect her ponies. 

Celestia and Luna spoke very little before she was cast away to the moon.

I was referring to Celestia when I said she used dark magic like a pro. Celestia used it without a single problem or struggle, even though it's apparently very powerful magic. Also, normally a kind ruler would try to at least talk about it (like she tried with Celestia).

If a giant plant started attacking my friends and I, you know what I'd do?

Kill it. I'd kill the shit out of that plant. And after I killed it, I would then question "Why didn't I kill this thing faster?", not "Oh, I'm an unethical person who is evil"

It's a plant in the Everfree Forest.

Besides, what about

• Futtershy feeding dead fish to some of her sea animals
  • That egg that was dropped in the Sisterhooves Social
  • Sombra? I'm pretty sure he's like the one person who actually looked like he was killed off

Somethings get picked at and get taken a bit too seriously for what they are.

• Brohoof 2

If a giant plant started attacking my friends and I, you know what I'd do?

Kill it. I'd kill the shit out of that plant. And after I killed it, I would then question "Why didn't I kill this thing faster?", not "Oh, I'm an unethical person who is evil"

It's a plant in the Everfree Forest.

Besides, what about

• Futtershy feeding dead fish to some of her sea animals
  • That egg that was dropped in the Sisterhooves Social
  • Sombra? I'm pretty sure he's like the one person who actually looked like he was killed off

Somethings get picked at and get taken a bit too seriously for what they are.

Was Sombra actually killed? I'll have to rewatch. I can't really imagine Fluttershy fishing though, odd.

Well, she can do dark magic but if you want an actual example then look at how she finds it amusing to let everything think that philomena is dead and lets Fluttershy angst over it, instead of just telling them right away that she can come back to life. That's a pretty dark sense of humor right there.

• Brohoof 1

Some of the most subtle things in the show might be taken as dark (though I don't believe it would be intended) but Celestia is no dark, insane pony and you shouldn't let a few small details make you think of her as such.

• Brohoof 1