Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else very dissatisfied with these five episodes?

DerpyTacos99

Um. Are you serious? Or are you just joking?

Cause everything you stated in that post as a bad thing, is something I enjoy and/or have seen evidence that most of the fandom enjoys it.

Sorry that you are so nitpicky, but hey, it's your funeral. (And 'it's your funeral' is an expression, don't take it the wrong way.)

• Brohoof 5

That's surprising. Well, I'm alright with being in the minority. If that's the case, is there anyone that does feel similarly? I'd like to hear some other negative perceptions just to see if anyone else does indeed see what I've seen on some level. I notice that they are also reusing concepts from previous episodes (they've done it before with Magic Duel which was fine) without giving it much substance. For example, Discord's appearance in the premiere seems pointless to me, he doesn't do anything chaotic, and they bring him there just to set him up as a sort of pseudo-villain and disregarding his reformation in Keep Calm and Flutter On. Also taking half the episode just for contrived flashbacks doesn't equal entertaining television in my book. Also, the flashback of Celestia and Luna just seemed very out of place, and didn't seem to fit well with what was said in episode one of season one.

I respect that but, his legitimate reasons are just to complain. Some people don't back up their reasons with evidence, just wanted to put that out there.

He is complaining because of his reasons.

The show is called Friendship is Magic for a reason. "Magic" doesn't just imply casting spells and reading scrolls, it can be applied to real life. That's what the Elements of Harmony symbolize, all personality traits that when put together create that "spark", and FiM Pts 1 and 2 showed how even if the Elements themselves are destroyed, their spirits could never be. You could say the same with the S4 premiere, but that's not the implication I'm getting. I'm getting the implication that the Elements are just being treated as magical weapons, and that their friendship and bond isn't necessarily linked to it. It all around just doesn't make sense.

I agree with your reasoning, but not your opinion. I don't like the EoH and I'm happy they're gone.

And I know, it's only five episodes in, but that doesn't make what I'm saying any less valid. 

I know. The problem is that you titled your thread "Dissatisfied with Season 4", which kinds rubs off as if you dislike the entire season.

To avoid confusion, maybe you should retitle it to "Dissatisfied with Season 4 so far".

Really? You're asking this question so early in the season? For crying out loud, we're only like a fifth of the way in, you oughta wait until the season actually ends before you start a discussion like this.

Come on, it's really bugging me that people are complaining about the overall quality of the new season when it's just started. It's fine to analyze a whole new season, but if you're gonna base your opinion on the only five episodes that have aired so far, you're clearly overdoing it. Show some patience, man.

• Brohoof 1

Um...no. In fact, not only am I liking season 4 from the episodes that have aired of it, I've found it to be an improvement over season 3, which I actually thought was good. I'm even getting a good feeling that it's going to be my favorite season by the time it's finished.

• Brohoof 1

As others have stated above, I'll also say that the season is too young to make such a call yet.

Episodes have gotten a little more over-the-top in some ways and contain more slice of life elements that don't really add any depth to them. That's the biggest change I've seen. While this is a change from what originally drew me into the show and makes me pine for olden times on occasion, it isn't entirely unwelcome and it's something I also enjoy.

It would take a lot for me to be truly dissatisfied with the show. Analysis is fine, critique is fine, and I tend to scrutinize things myself. However, I also enjoy the show immensely at face value. Feeling down, bored, tense, [insert undesirable state of emotion]? No problem. I can have a sit-down, put on ponies, and unwind. My foremost reaction is not to dissect it and simply appreciate it for what it is, not trying to improve it or mold it to my personal tastes.

• Brohoof 3

Honestly, I kind of am. The opener was really good. Castle-maneia was decent and Daring Don't was a total dud to me. Flight to the Finish was pretty good but could have been a lot better. It has a lot of room to improve though so I'm optimistic about the rest of the season

I also approach each episode every Saturday morning with a positive approach, however as I watch it I begin to sense the underlying implications, such as becoming more "adventure oriented" to appeal to a larger audience, the lack of uniqueness in regards to the female reality that made the show stand out (it diminished by a small bit in season two, then moreso in season three, it seemed to return in the movie, and now seems to have been removed), the contrived story elements that are not fleshed out or explained (Daring Do's adventures somehow being within this universe at the same time she writes books of them, Celestia's ridiculous speech about the Summer Sun Celebration being a celebration of Nightmare Moon's defeat which is completely inaccurate, etc), and the characters being rather un-enthusiastic and argumentative with one another.

-snip-

Woah, woah! Calm your horses! Isn't five episodes a little early for an analysis of an entire season? In any case, I did read some of your analysis! and I must say... I don't agree. At all.

The Directing-

I honestly can't see what you're talking about here. I never noticed any of that. I think you're just looking way too closely. Maybe there are a couple of mistakes here and there, but nobody's perfect, and neither is this show. At least we got Season 4 much earlier than originally stated.

The Emotion, etc.-

Once again... What? There was plenty of emotion there. I'm pretty sure you would have to be watching Flight to the Finish with a blindfold on, with your back to the screen, earplugs in, falling from a freaking airplane not to see emotion there. And what about the flashback in Princess Twilight? That was very emotional. And Daring Don't had some moments too.

Animation and Voicing.

Personally I like the new expressions they have. It's rather amusing in my eyes. And, I can't tell any difference in the voicing or animation. I think both are as good as ever, actually, the animation is even better.

The Music-

Isn't it kind of unfair to judge the entire seasons music over one song, isn't it? I actually loved that song, but I guess it's a matter of preference.

Discarding the Elements-

I get what you're saying, but, I have to say that you checkmated yourself there. The Mane Six are the embodiment of the Elements, therefore they do not need the Elements . The only time they would need them is in the situation of another baddy, but couldn't they retrieve them anyway? Even then, I feel like this could be the setup for another baddy coming, and when the Mane Six can't get back the elements, they realise they are the elements and they use their friendship alone to blast a FUGGIN RAINBOW at that bitch. :P

I think we should all wait until we're further into the season to make any judgements. Just sit back and enjoy the ride for now. There's plenty of time to rant later on.

• Brohoof 1

If they are the elements, and getting rid of them doesn't change anything, then why get rid of them? I didn't think they were things that could be "gotten rid of" in the first place. I suppose my logic on the EoH is very unusual compared to the way the majority of the fandom views it, so I'll drop my EoH points. As for the emotional aspects, I'm not really feeling it yet. The Nightmare Moon battle seemed very rushed, she transformed out of nowhere, they had a short battle, and she blasted her away. It didn't seem like the struggle and threat that was portrayed in FiM Pt 1, but that's just a given with flashbacks. I was trying really hard to sense some emotion from Flight to the Finish, but the way the CMC were arguing with each other seemed forced and didn't really feel like it was really happening. I understand RD's message that "you may never fly, but it's okay", yet it didn't seem like it really had any impact. It didn't seem like this episode really mattered. If she had ended up ironically learning to fly afterwards, or got her cutie mark, or anything along those lines, it would have felt like it had more of an impact, but instead this episode was a complete rehash and didn't really serve any purpose.

Daring Don't just seemed like a complete mess of an episode. I don't mind if they want to pretend Daring Do is somehow real (which disregards the entire point behind Read It And Weep, but I digress), but they could at least divulge some details. Why is she writing books about her adventures? Is she saving the world knowing full well she's just going to write books about these journies? If Twilight apparently studied everything about AK Yearling, how could she possibly not know this? How could anyone not be both aware of the book series, and the fact that Daring Do/Ahuizotl/etc are real? It just all seemed implausible. Plus, the fact that none of the mane six really questioned that Daring Do was real for more than a few minutes, not to mention RD's out of character annoying attitude. I could understand a few minutes, but she was out of whack the whole episode.

But then again, it's not the details that get me, it's the fact they they are disregarding Read It And Weep. RD discovered she did indeed love reading, as the book gave her the opportunity to enter another world, the world of fantasy and adventure while she lay in her hospital bed. It gave an accurate and meaningful portrayal of books and their ability to literally teleport the reader into their own personal fantasy world. In essence, RD herself became Daring Do by becoming a part of her world. Then she and her friends travel a short distance only to find she's secretly real, and that she beats up her enemies with punches and kicks rather than the interesting and stylish feats seen in Read It And Weep. Seems like a step backwards if you ask me.

Edited by DerpyTacos99

I wouldn't say dissatisfied but I would say it's been average. None of the episodes so far have jumped out at me or have captured the charm of a great MLP:FiM episode. I also noticed the attention to facial expressions so far this season which sometimes look out of place or a noticeable deviation from the majority of the animation up to this point.

I still like the season, but it's not rocking my socks like it has done in the past.

• Brohoof 2

If they are the elements, and getting rid of them doesn't change anything, then why get rid of them?

Well, they did do something, they were basically a "save-the-day" button the heroes could use. Now that they're gone, the main characters will have to save they day by using their intelligence and skill :D

To hold the show up to a lens that expects flawless quality of it on par with something like Citizen Kane is unreasonable. Its a fun, lighthearted, simple little show. It still has that essence. I don't see what the whole issue is. Not to mention the overwhelming negativity of some people in the fandom. They just never can be satisfied no matter what the creators do.

When has he held the series to a flawless standard? This is not just nit-picking (although there is some of that too), he has actual, legitimate reasons to dislike this.

Honestly, I find that a lot of people are just accusing the OP of nitpicking and whining or just being straight up negative without addressing his points. The last few episodes have been less than the standard we're used to, he has a right to complain. He's not shouting at anyone, he's not forcing his views upon anyone.

• Brohoof 1

To me, this season has had great episodes, except the most recent one seemed a bit offkey. I didn't like Mrs. Harshwinny, not at ALL. She had poor facial movement animations, was quite the miserable character, until the end I'll admit, and the end and song were the only somewhat redeeming parts. But the other four to me have actually been some of my new favorites in the show.

Yes, I am completely dissatisfied with these five perfectly fine episodes in which the characters aren't actually out-of-character at all.

Oh await...

You can tell that the focus is on "action adventure" stories, and even aside from that, the characters themselves are all acting rather "boyish" in my opinion with their mannerisms and behavior. It just doesn't seem natural anymore, and the entire concept that made this show brilliant just feels like it's been brushed aside in favor of more predictable storytelling. The characters all seem like they're men now with the way they're portrayed, or at the very least, female characters as portrayed in typical male-oriented media.

"OH MY GOD, THEY'RE TOTALLY ACTING LIKE BOYS AND NOT SUPER-EMPOWERED FEMALES, THE APOCALYPSE IS NIGH AHHHHHH!"

Oh please. They're acting the way they've always acted. Quit trying to make it a gender issue.

Edited by Artemis
Merged two posts.
  • Brohoof 1

For example, Discord's appearance in the premiere seems pointless to me, he doesn't do anything chaotic, and they bring him there just to set him up as a sort of pseudo-villain and disregarding his reformation in Keep Calm and Flutter On.

He did everything chaotic, he just didn't do anything chaotic evil :P But, he shouldn't be expected to, because he is reformed ;) He wasn't made into a pseudo-villain, the seeds were from the past, when he was still being bad. I don't see how any of this doesn't make sense. (lololol)

• Brohoof 2

Now, on to my final, and largest gripe: The Discarding of The Elements of Harmony

I cannot stress enough how incredibly moronic this is. The EoH were not just their Kamehameha Necklaces or their Blast The Baddy Beams, they symbolized their bond of friendship, in essence, they WERE them. Nightmare Moon destroyed the EoH in FiM Pt 2, they represent the EoH's spirits, and they embodied them. They did not just pick them up from the dollar store. It seemed to me like the writers think they're doing something smart by getting rid of them (again, I got "pleasing the raging bronies" vibes), and were not putting any consideration into what they were doing. Also, the Tree of Harmony is just out of nowhere and makes no sense.

1) The EoH WERE just deus ex machina and disposing of them is the smartest thing that could be done.

2) If you honestly believe some jewelry is needed to symbolize friendship, you probably aren't a very good friend yourself.

3) In essence, that's asinine and wrong. The EoH and the people carrying them are in no way the same things. There is nothing wrong with them abandoning a bunch of necklaces because loyalty, honesty and all that other stuff isn't IN the necklaces, it's in the ponies.

4) The Tree of Harmony is "out of nowhere"? So were the elements themselves, and Discord, and FlimFlam's apple cider machine, and changelings and most of everything else in this show because it's a 30-minute cartoon and most episodes introduce SOMETHING "out of nowhere". Doesn't make sense? ...Sorry, what are you watching again? It's a cartoon about magical ponies. NOTHING makes sense but within the show's own internal logic, the Tree makes perfect sense.

Guys, upon some thought, I need to point something out.

There's a fine line between fun analyzing and critiquing, and just plain being over-critical. Even the greatest piece of media on the planet is going to look pretty shitty if you just sit there picking at like a scab and obsessing over every little flaw, no matter how small or inconsequential, while completely ignoring everything good it has going for it.

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 3

Not in the slightest. Whatever criticisms folks may levy towards the pacing or plot elements of the new episodes, they amount to little more than nitpicks. That's not to say I don't share those nitpicks - I notice exactly what every complainer notices about the show's flaws - but I don't let them bother me on the grounds that the character interaction is just as strong as it's ever been. Not that I'm speaking for the whole fandom here, but I and a lot of people who watch the show aren't in it so much for the "highly cerebral plot" as we are for the characters. And as long as these great characters remain great characters, we'll be happy.

That's all I've got to say on the matter, really. Critics have a right to their criticisms, and others have a right to their enjoyment of the show in spite of those criticisms. C'est la vie. -_-

• Brohoof 3