Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else very dissatisfied with these five episodes?

DerpyTacos99

Do we REALLY need another of these threads? I mean come on we had a thread like this 10 minutes after the premier :\ So the newer episodes aren't your favourites, that doesn't mean they aren't good. Why not just sit back and enjoy the show for what it is? Yes it had some flaws here and there but show me the perfect season. One that has NO flaws what so ever. There are a handful of episodes also, we aren't even half way through yet to just up and decide "This season is shit." Has the Twilicorn drama and the Equestria girls dramam not taught people to trust the writers yet?

Sure there were problems with some eps like episode 3 was way too "Scooby Doo" for my taste but it's just an opinion and not worth condemning the whole bloody season over.

If I recall there are 20 something episodes in this season so there are bound to be a few you'd like. Just give it a chance dude.

• Brohoof 1

Nope! :P

I have deeply enjoyed the season thus far. The show's gotten its old spark back! :D

Oh, I'm sure there will be a bad episode or two (I'm already preparing my bunker for the next Meriwether Williams episode) But for now I'm having a pretty good time.

Has the Twilicorn drama and the Equestria girls dramam not taught people to trust the writers yet?

Bronies are a superstitious, cowardly lot!

Edited by Jangobadass

(I'm already preparing my bunker for the next Meriwether Williams episode)

...Really?

REALLY?! People are still seriously hating on Merriwether Williams?! *sigh* I just don't see what was so bad about her episodes... Oh well, opinions are opinions, I gotta learn that. :/

Edited by MatrixChicken

Now, on to my final, and largest gripe: The Discarding of The Elements of Harmony I cannot stress enough how incredibly moronic this is. The EoH were not just their Kamehameha Necklaces or their Blast The Baddy Beams, they symbolized their bond of friendship, in essence, they WERE them. Nightmare Moon destroyed the EoH in FiM Pt 2, they represent the EoH's spirits, and they embodied them. They did not just pick them up from the dollar store. It seemed to me like the writers think they're doing something smart by getting rid of them (again, I got "pleasing the raging bronies" vibes), and were not putting any consideration into what they were doing. Also, the Tree of Harmony is just out of nowhere and makes no sense.

This show is called "Friendship is Magic", and Twilight has the nerve to say, "It's our friendship, and it's more important and more powerful than any magic." Excuse me? Friendship IS magic. They ARE the EoH. They are one and the same. Don't take my word for it, just look at MMC. Their destinies, their cutie marks were changed by Twilight's spell, as were their elements, because they are one. They even went through all of this in that episode, using the power of their friendship to return them to their true destinies, and to restore their elements, because they're one in the same. Then again, they disregarded her positive ascension to princess from MMC, so it's natural to assume they'd disreard that as well. That's not to say that they won't have some sort of solution in the S4 finale, but it still wouldn't justify it.

I will give you one thing here.  The Tree of Harmony did come out of nowhere.  But think about this.  Shining Armour and Cadence (not to mention the Changeling Army, which almost destroyed Equestria) also came out of nowhere, and SA is Twilight's BROTHER.  You would think she would have mentioned him in Cutie Mark Chronicles, or some other episode before this.  Also, let's not forget about Princess Twilicorn, a major change that was introduced in a single episode (and in five minutes, no less).  I'm not saying I didn't like those episodes.  I'm just illustrating that this isn't the first time they've done that.

As for the Elements of Harmony, I'll say this.  You are correct in saying that they are the embodiments of them (in fact, there's a line that implies that they themselves created the new Elements of Harmony).  This is true.  What that means is they don't need magical bling to show that they're the Elements of Harmony.  They ARE the Elements of Harmony in every sense of the phrase.  Nothing can take that away, not even Princess Celestia or the Tree of Harmony.

However, you're missing the point of why they did this.  They did this, because they're showing that the characters are growing up.  They're to the point now where they don't need some deus-ex-machina devices to solve all of life's problems.  They have each other, and as Twilight said, that is stronger than any magic.  If you ask me, this makes the characters even more awesome than they were before.  It's one thing to stand up to evil when you have a massively powerful crutch that can solve all life's problems.  But it's another thing entirely to still have that courage even if you don't have the Ultimate Magical Doohickey on your side to back it up.

My main complaints are with the writing and characterization.

Yet you called the removal of the Elements of Harmony your largest gripe, as quoted above...  Not making much sense here...

Edited by SBaby

OH NO GUYS! THIS EPISODE WAS OKAY! THIS SHOW'S TANKING! ABANDON SHIP! DrMmg.png

...Really?

REALLY?! People are still seriously hating on Merriwether Williams?! *sigh* I just don't see what was so bad about her episodes... Oh well, opinions are opinions, I gotta learn that. :/

People would most likely be more fair to her episodes simply had her debut episode been something different like HWE, or even SAYS. But that's just how I feel

• Brohoof 1

To everyone complaining about people judging the season too early, first impressions are a thing. A person can rightly make a guess at how the season is due to turn out based on the amount of evidence we have at the moment.  B) 

This season has been just as equally enjoyable as the previous seasons were to me despite the flaws. Maybe I am not someone who cares to analyze the show to a large extend, but I can still watch it and enjoy with the same joy I did at the beginning and that is all that matters to me.

I think this season is better than season 3 was. Season 3 is definitely my least favorite season so far. The only episode I haven't really liked in season 4 so far is the latest one about the CMC, but I don't usually care that much for CMC episodes anyway.

• Brohoof 3

Do we REALLY need another of these threads? I mean come on we had a thread like this 10 minutes after the premier :\ So the newer episodes aren't your favourites, that doesn't mean they aren't good. Why not just sit back and enjoy the show for what it is? Yes it had some flaws here and there but show me the perfect season. One that has NO flaws what so ever. There are a handful of episodes also, we aren't even half way through yet to just up and decide "This season is shit." Has the Twilicorn drama and the Equestria girls dramam not taught people to trust the writers yet?

Sure there were problems with some eps like episode 3 was way too "Scooby Doo" for my taste but it's just an opinion and not worth condemning the whole bloody season over.

If I recall there are 20 something episodes in this season so there are bound to be a few you'd like. Just give it a chance dude.

Yeah, you can't just force yourself to enjoy something when you don't. The OP has specified his reasons (valid or not) as to why he didn't enjoy these episodes.

To everyone complaining about people judging the season too early, first impressions are a thing. A person can rightly make a guess at how the season is due to turn out based on the amount of evidence we have at the moment.  B) 

He already changed the title to: "Dissatisfied with these 5 episodes"

Edited by Static Electricity

OH NO GUYS! THIS EPISODE WAS OKAY! THIS SHOW'S TANKING! ABANDON SHIP! img-2124458-1-DrMmg.png

People would most likely be more fair to her episodes simply had her debut episode been something different like HWE, or even SAYS. But that's just how I feel

Ahem, if i may,

and this could be a guess.

Bronies are conditioned to respond neutered, friend ship, love, tolerate, changing the message,

but the core actions remain the same.

The response un censored by the broney code might have been "It sucked i'm leaving."

now with the bronie glassses on of lover and tolerate would be "it's okay... I'm leaving."

See that's my problem with the whole tolerate thing.

It means people won't really say what they wanna say,

cause if people said what they really wanted to it would be love and tolerate.

the core message itself is the problem here.

Course that's just a guess I love this season.

and no i'm not  being ironic.

• Brohoof 1

The episodes have been alright so far, but I there aren't really any episode yet that I fully liked. There's just nothing in the episode to make me really watch the 5 we have so far. Just a few questions here and there have not been answered. Still maybe they will get better.

If I were to sum up the season so far, I'd say it's "okay".  I can see why people like it, and see why people don't.  The episodes so far have been rather "safe". They don't seem to be as original as the first five episodes of season 2 or even season 1, but they didn't stumble out of the gate like the first few episodes of season 3 (mainly I'm talking about the Crystal Empire).  There were moments to enjoy, certainly, but also moments where they could have done things better.  I still think the second act of Daring Don't killed the episode for me, and even I wasn't that impressed with Flight to the Finish until near the end.  But I really dug the premiere, Castle Mania had some great character moments, and the rest of Daring Don't was good. 

All in all, I kinda see where the OP is coming from, even if I don';t entirely agree.  I'm still very excited and optimistic about the rest of the season, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't get what the OP is saying.

Princess Twilight addressed every issue bronies had with Twilight becoming a princess and Discord's reformation (BONUS).  The plot was brilliantly woven and well paced.  Characterization was off at times, but the amazing presentation makes up for that.  If you were disappointed in that, your standards are way to high.

Castle-Mania I can see why you'd have issues with it.  The episode has a paint-by-numbers plot and character motivations go completely unexplained.  Characterization is good and Angel Bunny is entertaining to watch for once.  Your millage may vary.

Daring Don't has similar, but at the same time completely different, problems to the previous episode.  Complaints center around its effect on world building and the disproving of headcanon.  Those are not objectively legitimate problems with the episode.  There was no evidence that the Daring Do books were fiction within fiction.

As for Flight to the Finish...every scene is paced perfectly and serves a specific purpose, sometimes two or three.  The sub-plots with Rainbow Dash and Diamond Tiara are woven perfectly into the narrative.  The only thing you could complain about is the pacing involving the song, but that becomes irrelevant when the episode gets to the reprise.  The point of the song was to give an easily quotable moto for the CMC to chant and lift Scootaloo's spirits.  The only way you can be disappointed in this episode is if you have a deep seeded hatred for perfection.

Honestly, if not a single one of these episodes impressed you, you need to stop watching the show.  You clearly cannot draw enjoyment from it and watching it will be a waste of your time.

To be honest some of the episodes of this season I can see why people may dislike or like, these current episodes that have aired so far I have enjoyed and found creative and clever on ends of writing, story, music, and characters. Hopefully the things that were mentioned in the episodes such as the box Twilight found with the keyholes, the shadow pony in the castle, the whole Flutterbat thing and many other topics shown will be discussed because to bring those up once and then no longer mention it would be sort of a buzz kill. Anyway I look forward to more episodes and I agree with Forlong's statement about not watching the show if you don't like the episodes. Well said Forlong.

Upon watching today's episode and having the imagery of the show fresh in my mine, I need to add one more thing:

If you think the animation and art direction is getting worse, you honestly need to go back and look at season 1 and early season 2. they both may look good on their own merits, but in hindsight look like complete shit in comparison to what we get know. 

I've yet to get an episode that deeply pissed me off this season. I'm sure it's coming, 19 episodes there's gotta be one abrotion in there some where,

but yeah i'm pretty happy.

I don't know if I'm just absurdly forgiving or what. but in the entire run of the show 'Mare Do Well" is the only one to come close to that for me even then I don't outright hate it and can still find redeeming qualities in it. 

Edited by Shoboni

Of the first five episodes, I considered the first three to be pretty meh but the fourth and the fifth picked up quite a bit and were enjoyable enough. Daring Don't has become less enjoyable to me over time as I've perhaps taken others' criticisms of it to heart, but Flight to the Finish was great and one of the better CMC episodes the show's put out. This season could've been a a heck of a lot better, and I think it compares unfavorably to the beginnings of past seasons, but it's been doing fine and seems to be hitting its stride.

Princess Twilight addressed every issue bronies had with Twilight becoming a princess

It seems like you're speaking for a fairly broad group of people here that you're not a member of, based on posts of yours that I've seen in the past.

• Brohoof 2

Overall, I think Season 4 is very solid so far. I like it much better than I liked Season 3 at the same point.

PRINCESS TWILIGHT SPARKLE: Great, although no it did NOT address all the doubts I had about the transformation, the change served a purpose there (as opposed to MMC where it made not a lick of sense). And it finally introduced an interesting long-term storyline that so many of us were clamoring for.

CASTLE MANE-IA: Very good! A funny and nicely paced romp through a spooky location. I do hope we find out who the shadow pony is. You don't want some anonymous spook lurking around the old castle, especially when it's being fixed up and is presumably going to serve a purpose in Equestria's future.

DARING DON'T: Decent. A weak and poorly thought-out narrative that is not consistent with the fantasy-reality ratio of most other MLP episodes. But still not too bad. DD was great in her return.

FLIGHT TO THE FINISH: Decent. I just don't get what was supposed to be so great about this one. It barely addressed the disability itself, it told us almost nothing new about Scootaloo, and why did she get so down about it when it was never once mentioned before by her or anypony else? Didn't reach half of its potential IMO.

POWER PONIES: Very good. A much better fantasy episode than Daring Don't. The ponies' powers were great and made perfect sense. Some of the costumes were kind of tacky, but Pinkie, Dash and Spike could do no wrong.

BATS!: Great. I loved it! Well written, everypony was featured and in character, the plot was interesting and while the idea of Fluttershy transforming is wearing thin already, it worked better here than it did anywhere else.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone
  • Brohoof 1

I agree with alot of what you said.

Mainly the "written with bronies in mind" thing". And the "characters have become empty" bit. Anyone who continues to pull that "Twilight is the same adorkable pony" bullshit is clearly blind. She's become so.. so... BLAND. She's lost her charm. Her personality is more similar to celestia now. And celestia has the all the charm and personality of a toaster oven.

Not just Twilight, either. Pinkie's character has devolved so much that i would say she may as well just be a comedic side character. Meanwhile, the writers are having a field day breaking poor Fluttershy. Applejack has become more of a jerk. Rainbow Dash and Rarity actually still seem intact, but even they feel sorta artificial.

That's the word i would use to describe this season... artificial. Artificially placed feels (like the flashback with Twi crying over Celestia), artificial representations and interaction of the characters, forced "darker, edgier, actionyer" plots to appeal to bronies, etc. I could go on about how something feels amiss this season.

I totes disagree about the music and animation/art though. I think the art style remains incredible, the music hasn't really changed much imo. I did notice the awkward character placement though.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

Princess Twilight addressed every issue bronies had with Twilight becoming a princess

> :D

Ohohohh boy... Where do I even begin...

1: The Twilicorn's design. The longer neck is just the final straw.

2: Twilight might as well be exactly the same as she was before. All of the lessons she has "learned"  throughout the series have not impacted her personality in the slightest. In fact, this is a real problem throughout the entire series.

3: Aside from the premiere, the Twilicorn is usually just "there", and does very little, if anything, plot relevant ("Bats!").

Edited by Static Electricity
  • Brohoof 2

> :D

Ohohohh boy... Where do I even begin...

1: The Twilicorn's design. The longer neck is just the final straw.

2: Twilight might as well be exactly the same as she was before. All of the lessons she has "learned"  throughout the series have not impacted her personality in the slightest. In fact, this is a real problem throughout the entire series.

3: Aside from the premiere, the Twilicorn is usually just "there", and does very little, if anything, plot relevant ("Bats!").

And people wonder why I accuse the anti-twicorn movement of just nitpicking and bitching for the sake of it.....

Also, make up you'r damn mind. First y'all complain about the major changes it could bring to her personality and place in the show, then ya complain about her not changing enough. 

• Brohoof 1