Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of the Griffon race?

Shining Blade

I think they will be in the show again, since there is a Griffon Empire somewhere in Equestria. My first impression of Griffons wasn't really the best to me, when I did see Gilda's performance in Griffon The Brush Off. That won't change what I will think about them in the future.

I really like the idea behind the Griffon race except Gilda really ruins their reputation... if it wasn't for her I would think much more highly of them. I would like to see an episode were they brought back a griffon or involved their race again.

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to see Griffons again. Also, not all members of a species are the same. Just because Gilda gave off a bad vibe doesn't mean all Griffons do.

I will say that Gilda didn't give us the best first impression for the Griffon race though.

Edited by Mikami
  • Brohoof 2

So far the only griffon we saw aside from Gilda was Gustave Le Gran the baker but I do know a few things about Griffons. They are carnivores which should be obvious to everyone so their attitudes toward meat are probably different from many of the ponies. Griffons have consistently been shown as a symbol of strength in myth and legend so it is likely that griffons would have a warrior like culture similar to many ancient warrior peoples such as the Spartans for example except maybe not as aggressive. Griffons mate for life and if their partner dies will not seek a new partner so while they probably wouldn't address that in the show it did say that they would likely have a strict moral code partly based on the warrior culture and partially based on a strong sense of ethnic/nationalistic pride. Because the ponies are often superstitious and frighten easily many of the griffons would probably view the ponies as weak minded and cowardly which means that there may be some tensions between ponies and griffons. 

• Brohoof 1

All we know about the griffons is that they have a country south of Equestria, and should be assumed that the females look like Gilda, generally. I really like griffons, but I don't know too much about the MLP portrayal about them. I don't have much of an opinion as a result.

But, seriously, I love this about MLP. They add real animals as well as mythological animals and places it their setting, and with griffons, they could easily be the second coolest race with solid details. Fingers crossed for a griffon-related episode in season 4.

I hope we see griffons again. They're friggin cool. And what if..GILDA shows up again? Gasp! What if she, like...changes or something?

...Nah.

Edited by Flooter Do

So far the only griffon we saw aside from Gilda was Gustave Le Gran the baker but I do know a few things about Griffons. They are carnivores which should be obvious to everyone so their attitudes toward meat are probably different from many of the ponies. Griffons have consistently been shown as a symbol of strength in myth and legend so it is likely that griffons would have a warrior like culture similar to many ancient warrior peoples such as the Spartans for example except maybe not as aggressive. Griffons mate for life and if their partner dies will not seek a new partner so while they probably wouldn't address that in the show it did say that they would likely have a strict moral code partly based on the warrior culture and partially based on a strong sense of ethnic/nationalistic pride. Because the ponies are often superstitious and frighten easily many of the griffons would probably view the ponies as weak minded and cowardly which means that there may be some tensions between ponies and griffons.

Earthbending gave a very nice overview on the likely issues with griffons.  I hope to see more of them in the future. Gilda is, to use Fluttershy's favorite pejorative, a big meanie. At least they had one more griffon in Gustave Le Gran. Everybody already touched on the foolishness of judging a race based on such a small sample. But their apparent culture and omnivore nature would be off-putting to many ponies.

• Brohoof 1

I would be happy to see more griffons in the show. Just with better attitude than Gilda has shown to us, in every other world I saw them (for example HOMM) they were shown in so much better way. Majestic, beautiful and amazing creatures that are symbol of courage in many games/movies/books where they exist. She is just disgrace for griffons, I mean how can she be same race as this amazing creature? >< 

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

What I really like is that Gilda and Gustave are total opposites, which hopefully does a bit to dispel the "All griffons are boisterous bullies" stereotype.

Gustave is a highly-cultured chef and, despite being a bit snooty, isn't nearly as meanspirited or crass as Gilda. This really shows that the griffons are just as wildly varied and distinct as the ponies, and that each individual is sure to have a highly-unique personality. It's certainly more than can be said for the bulk of the dragons on the show, which do all seem to have the "stock tough guy" personality.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

I think it'd be interesting, we've only got Gilda and Gustave(and we hardly got much concerning Gustave really.) but I think as far as Gilda goes she didn't set exactly the most amazing example for Griffons.

It could be interesting though, i wonder if they'd address the fact that Griffons eat meat, probably not, but i feel as though it may make their species more aggressive overall compared to ponies. Which may lead to tension as Earthbending brought up.

But i still think it'd be interesting to see one again that isn't Gilda, just to maybe give some more insight into them.

Heck, maybe we can have an episode that takes place in the Griffon kingdom! That might be cool :).

Even though i'm not a huge fan of Gilda, it doesn't mean i don't have interest in seeing more of the Griffon race, so yeah, i'd be interesting in seeing some more Griffon in the show in the future.