Keys and Rainbow items

Winona the Dog

My theory is that the six keys are gifts to the mane ponies for following their element of harmony, even though they might be tempted not to (and the gifts relate to their talents), basically, Rarity shows Coco Pommel generosity, by giving her the chance to design costumes for a broadway musical, so Coco Pommel gives her a gift of the Rainbow Spool, the first key. Then, when Rainbow Dash shows her loyalty to Ponyville in Rainbow Falls, she gets rewarded with a wonderbolt pin, the second key. Pinkie, Applejack, Fluttershy and Twilight's keys have yet to be revealed, although I do have a few theories about those:

Applejack: Is very honest with someone, does the right thing, gets rewarded with a golden apple, or something related to Apples

Pinkie: Makes someone laugh very hard, even though they're a big meanie, gets rewarded with special balloons, or something party related#

Fluttershy: Shows kindness to someone really mean, gets rewarded with a special bunny, maybe?

Twilight: Magics all over the place, the key is actually her horn, but requires all the other keys to be present.

My theory is that the six keys are gifts to the mane ponies for following their element of harmony, even though they might be tempted not to (and the gifts relate to their talents), basically, Rarity shows Coco Pommel generosity, by giving her the chance to design costumes for a broadway musical, so Coco Pommel gives her a gift of the Rainbow Spool, the first key. Then, when Rainbow Dash shows her loyalty to Ponyville in Rainbow Falls, she gets rewarded with a wonderbolt pin, the second key. Pinkie, Applejack, Fluttershy and Twilight's keys have yet to be revealed, although I do have a few theories about those:

Applejack: Is very honest with someone, does the right thing, gets rewarded with a golden apple, or something related to Apples

Pinkie: Makes someone laugh very hard, even though they're a big meanie, gets rewarded with special balloons, or something party related#

Fluttershy: Shows kindness to someone really mean, gets rewarded with a special bunny, maybe?

Twilight: Magics all over the place, the key is actually her horn, but requires all the other keys to be present.

I think you're kinda right. You see, it's clear to me now how the key episodes are going to go. There is a formula.

Pony has conflict with their element

They learn the true value of their element (that's the rainbow in their eyes)

They teach their element to another pony by showing everything they learned

That pony awards a gift, which becomesx the key (I'm confident they become the key. It would be odd if random ponies were carrying keys.)

Rarity takes Manehatten:

Rarity's generosity backfires

She learns generosity isn't about getting reparations. Generosity should be for the sake of generosity.

Coco Pommel sees Rarity being generous, and the love she got for it

Coco Pommel gives the thread, which becomes the first key

Rainbow Falls:

Rainbow can't decide who to be loyal to

She learns that having your friends' backs by being loyal is more important than winning

Spitfire sees Rainbow Dash, and how strong and close she and her friends are because of loyalty

Spitfire gives the badge, which becomes the second key.

Prediction for Pinkie Pride:

Pinkie gets jealous when her position as laughter queen is challenged, entering a duel with Cheese Sandwich

She learns that you should always want ponies to be happy, regardless of who is putting a smile on their face

Cheese Sandwich somehow sees Pinkie display this newfound knowledge about what laughter is about

Cheese Sandwich gives Pinkie her an item which then becomes the third key

Fluttershy:

Fluttershy's fear of someone or something stops her from being kind

She learns that she should go to any lengths to be kind, even facing her fears

Pony sees Fluttershy be kind, no matter how hard it is

Pony gives Fluttershy the item which will become a key

AJ:

Any number of conflicts could make it difficult, or detrimental to be honest

Depending on the conflict, the solution will vary, but AJ will learn what honesty is all about

Pony learns the value of honesty

Pony gives AJ key item.

Twilight:

Nothing can really be said about this one. It all depends on whether you see her element as Magic, or Friendship, because the two seem to be interchangeable when talking about the Elements of Harmony. The conflict will vary, therefore solution will vary. And it's Twilight, so it might not even follow the same formula.

• Brohoof 2

The key episodes seem to be following a formula. Firstly, the name has always included the character name and a hint of the plot. Then this:

That pony awards a gift, which becomesx the key (I'm confident they become the key. It would be odd if random ponies were carrying keys.)

Rarity takes Manehatten:
She learns generosity isn't about getting reparations. Generosity should be for the sake of generosity.

Rainbow Falls:
She learns that having your friends' backs by being loyal is more important than winning
Spitfire sees Rainbow Dash, and how strong and close she and her friends are because of loyalty

Pinkie gets jealous when her position as laughter queen is challenged, entering a duel with Cheese Sandwich
She learns that you should always want ponies to be happy, regardless of who is putting a smile on their face
Cheese Sandwich somehow sees Pinkie display this newfound knowledge about what laughter is about

Fluttershy:

AJ:
Depending on the conflict, the solution will vary, but AJ will learn what honesty is all about
Pony gives AJ key item.

Twilight:
Nothing can really be said about this one. It all depends on whether you see her element as Magic, or Friendship, because the two seem to be interchangeable when talking about the Elements of Harmony. The conflict will vary, therefore solution will vary. And it's Twilight, so it might not even follow the same formula.

It could be that the CMC decide to be Princess Twilight's personal guards.  The comedy just writes itself from there.

Based on a recent tweet, its pretty unlikely that Twilight Time will be her key episode, apparently its going to be a CMC episode. Also, I would expect twilight to find her key last.

Here's the tweet for reference
Capture.PNG
Episode 15 is confirmed to be Twilight Time

This is an interesting point. Because the name would fully imply that Twilight Time will be a key episode. It follows the naming trend, and the plot hint of "Time" would imply that time travel might happen, which would allow for, I don't know, the friendless Starswirl the Bearded making an appearance? Meaning Twilight might run out of time for her friends while pursuing her wildest dreams? Hmm?

It would be annoying if this weren't Twilight's key episode somehow. We'll have to wait for the synopses.

Season 4 finale:

Each pony inserts a key into the box.

Applejack: Honesty!

Pinkie Pie: Laughter!

Rainbow Dash: Loyalty!

Rarity: Generosity!

Twilight: Magic!

????: By your powers combined, I am CAPTAIN PONY!

Best possible season finale, or best possible season finale? :lol:

We're only 10 episodes in out of 24, which means 14 episodes left. Not counting the last two, at which point all the keys should have been gathered, that makes 12 episodes left, with 8 episodes where keys are being gathered already gone. There is still time for four more episodes in which more keys will be gathered, so not all episodes focusing on each of the mane 6 will have them collect a key. Remember, RD didn't collect anything in Daring Don't either, so we're bound to get another Pinkie and Fluttershy episode where they will.

The only real gripe I'm starting to have is the lack of Discord, but that's another story.

I think you're kinda right. You see, it's clear to me now how the key episodes are going to go. There is a formula.

Rarity takes Manehatten:

Rainbow Falls:

Fluttershy:

AJ:

Pony gives AJ key item.

Twilight:

The key is also (so far) related to their talent, the spool of thread for Rarity is related to her talent for dress-making, and the wonderbolt pin for Dash is related to her talent for flying. So for Twilight, it's probably to do with her magical ability, so maybe her magically defeating a villain in the Season 4 finale results in her discovering that the sixth key was inside her, or her horn (yes, I know it's cheesy, no, I don't care). Also, interestingly enough, the ponies don't seem to know that these odd trinkets are the keys, so there might be an episode where they try and find the keys, and only finally realise that the keys are back where they began.

• Brohoof 2

You hit the nail on the head, all of items that have shine like a shimmering rainbow are the keys to the box from the two parter. The items are all related to what their elements stand for.

Here is my theory. Even though the elements of harmony are back in the tree, the mane 6 still represent their virtues. Which leads me to believe that they are more than just representations, they are part of their characters. Both epsiodes where rarity and rainbow find their 'keys' it involves rediscovering who they are. The objects don't glow until they learn a lesson about who they really are and what it means. Which makes me think that they cant open the box unless they know with a certainty who they are. Which makes me think that the box will be more powerful than the elements of harmony. And it would seem that they got the box because they have mastered the elements of harmony, which means they are ascending to a new level. Which infers that the writers are setting it up for a couple more seasons with more powerful villains. Also I think that at the end of the season they will pull another season one opener type deal where they discover alll together who they are and then their objects will turn into the keys and then they will open the box.

All I know is that I hope to Celestia all this rainbows stuff isn't leading to that "rainbow powers" gunk that's being sold by Hasbro.

Here's my problem. 

If Hasbro needs to sell toys, fine.

Okay their rainbow powers.  Cool.

Why do they need them?

Discords reformed, sombre's dead, the changelings could come back, but like that's it.

I mean you kinda need villains to need super powers.

I mean, unless they're gonna use super powers to defeat slice of life problems.

I could totally see pinkie doing that.  I mean, that might be funny for an episode.

• Brohoof 1

I formed the idea in the episode topic. >_>

Nah just kidding. :P (...but seriously...)

Anyways, these are my thoughts exactly!

Edited by FeIix

Here's my problem. 

If Hasbro needs to sell toys, fine.

Okay their rainbow powers.  Cool.

Why do they need them?

Discords reformed, sombre's dead, the changelings could come back, but like that's it.

I mean you kinda need villains to need super powers.

I mean, unless they're gonna use super powers to defeat slice of life problems.

I could totally see pinkie doing that.  I mean, that might be funny for an episode.

I refer back to my theory above. If they are giving the mane 6 more power, they are obviously planning on bringing in more powerful villains in the seasons to come. Its classic climax progression. The only downside to that is it will eventually burn out and jump the shark. Its just a matter of when. I just hope that the writers keep their genius going and know when to stop and don't let the show crash and burn because of the toys.

I think twilight time will be the CMC realising their time spent with Princess Twilight will make them more popular at school... Just a thought xD

(I thought I saw it somewhere... I'm also gonna guess Fluttershy's is about this band she's helping...)

I refer back to my theory above. If they are giving the mane 6 more power, they are obviously planning on bringing in more powerful villains in the seasons to come. Its classic climax progression. The only downside to that is it will eventually burn out and jump the shark. Its just a matter of when. I just hope that the writers keep their genius going and know when to stop and don't let the show crash and burn because of the toys.

you don't need a shark for people to burn out.

People abuse the hell out that term.   i swear people sit at their favorite show with a shark detector going full blast.

Woah, woah, woah.  Woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Writers genius? the blind chicken find the corn.  The MLP is a formula that most of the time is something the writers can get right, and failing that they don't get overly wrong.

might i remind you cadence, alicorn twilight, didn't crash the show.  In fact it did 0 to hurt the show.  0.  Fans grumble about it because the idea of these things bother them,

but that's fans being "those" kinda fans.  It's the same kind of fans in sports who turn on their team the moment they start losing.

Am i a little worried about rainbow powers?  A little.  but i'm not part of the chicken little crowd.  The sky is not falling.

I'm mostly hopping the rainbow powers don't look stupid.

I'm hopping the rainbow powers don't look stupid.

I hope their hard to get good at.  Like effort is made to use them.

Your claiming the toy line is poisoning the show in the same breath your saying it's forcing it to have villains.'

Villains don't get toys.  There is no discord toy (i believe).

John Delance is 100 percent brony pandering ^^.  He's not there for little girls.

so before you say "I don't want the writers changing anything just for the fans."

i assure you pandering isn't all bad.

I also assure you bulk bicep was there idea and not ours.

Christ he didn't talk in epic rage time derpy.

Everyone has been speculating on the contents inside the mysterious, locked box that came from the Tree of Harmony once the elements had been put back into the tree.  There is a Youtube video by Suited Gamer Guy where he provides what, in my opinion, is a logical explanation as to what might be inside, and I support the theory 100%.  Simply put, while 6 keys are needed to unlock the box, what's inside the box is unarguably for Twilight Sparkle and her alone. Why? Let's take a look... In "call of the Cutie mark", we get to see how Twilight got her cutie mark- the six pointed pink star surrounded by smaller, white stars.  In season 1, getting a cutie mark represented a pony's special talents. In season 3, a cutie mark represented their DESTINY. In season 4, when Twilight first saw the Tree of Harmony, it has the elements of harmony as normal gems that hadn't yet taken on the appearance of any of the Mane 5's cutie marks.... All except Twilight's.  It was Twilight's star cutie mark symbol in the center of the tree...which existed OVER A THOUSAND YEARS AGO, before a Twilight even GOT her cutie mark; before she was even born! When Twilight first lays eyes on the Tree of  Harmony and the star pattern in the shape of her butt tattoo, she specifically says "my Cutiemark!",  rather than making a statement on the tree being the source of the EOH. So what can we conclude from this? The box contains something related to Twilight's destiny- what she's been striving for her entire life. 

I really, really hope the writers throw a Key of the Twilight (.dot hack) reference out there, in the show, when it comes time for Twilight to get her key that would open the box. XD

After watching today's episode, I'm calling it now:

The Breezie episode later this season will be Fluttershy's key/rainbow item episode.

Oh yeah I definitely think so too.  

I don't know if this has been said or not but I also think

That next week's episode with Weird Al will give us Pinkie's key.