Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your Favorite Survival Horror Game and Why?

Camping Delights

This thread is self explanatory to a fault. Just tell us all what your favorite Survival Horror game is and tell us why you like it. For me the Resident Evil series will always be my favorite Survival Horror game franchise since it was the first game in the genre that I was exposed to. My mom would play the game constantly and I would always watch her play it. I was around 5 at the time or something like that so I was easily afraid of the pixelated monstrosities of the Umbrella Corporation.

As I gotten older I finally played the games by myself and found that I really enjoyed them. I enjoyed the puzzle solving and not knowing what would be behind the next corner. The game now is a breeze for me to beat since I know where most objects are in the game and I know what to do, but it can still be fun and challenging if you do your own special challenges like a knife only run and the like.

Silent Hill is probably my favorite Survival Horror Franchise. I just adore the characters, the disturbing settings and monster designs, and I just find it enjoyable to play and experience. I also really like Alan Wake, the FEAR Franchise, Amnesia, Alice Madness Returns, and Outlast.

The only survival horror games I played are the Dead Space games and I love them. Though, I'd say Dead Space 1 was much more scarier in my opinion. I am a huge fan of futuristic games, so this game appealed to me right from the start. I liked how you had to dismember the necromorphs to kill them, it was a unique way of killing enemies. One thing I truly loved about the game was the atmosphere. It was just so creepy and disturbing. I didn't feel safe anywhere, not even in a room with a save point and store. The enemies themselves were even more disturbing. Disfigured, scary abominations with blades that wanted to rip you apart.The best part in my opinion was the fact that you didn't know when the necromorphs were going to show up. You would be walking to a room when all of a sudden they break through the vents and charge you, while freaky, heart pumping music played.

All in all, I think Dead Space is a masterpiece. :)

• Brohoof 1

Resident Evil 2 easily(RE4 is my favorite in the series, but it's not much of a survivor horror despite being a fantastic game). I loved being how actions with the first character you pick could affect the other in the subsequent playthrough(assuming you don't pick the same). Loved the story. Loved the characters. Gameplay and atmosphere felt like a huge step up from RE1. Loved how it gave you a bigger place to explore. Everything about it is just fantastic

There's so many I love, it's hard to pick just one!

Resident Evil 4, Dead Space 1 & 2, Amnesia, Alan Wake, Bioshock, System Shock 2, Penumbra: Black Plague, Doom 3....those are all games that I love to death.

But if I had to choose just one, I think I'd go with Amnesia. When I first heard about the game, I actively avoided gameplay videos for awhile, so that I could go in blind and get a completely un-spoiled and fresh experience.

I almost regret doing that because of just how damn scary that game was. The atmosphere was downright suffocating, and I jumped out of my chair more than a few times while I was playing. The monsters were absolutely terrifiying, and the soundtrack would haunt me for days, even when I wasn't playing. In some ways, it was extremely unpleasant to play because of how effective it was with its scares, but at the same time, that's exactly why I kept coming back for more. It's so eerie and unsettling...but as a survival horror fan, I love those qualities! I can't wait until Frictional Games releases SOMA, I am dying in anticipation for that one.

Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 2 are fantastic. Condemned is scary as hell with a lot of tension; however I think everyone here needs to play Rule of Rose for the PS2.

rule-of-rose-red-crayon-aristocrats.jpg

Rule of Rose is about a girl who gets lost in the middle of the woods only to discover a massive orphanage run by the children. The children have created a club called "The Aristocrat Club" and you need to compete with another girl to enter the club. Whomever fails, however, will be tortured and the all time loser will be executed. All the girls are under 18 years old and there is a huge and very disturbing darker storyline that involves a lot of adult themes like lesbianism, murder, child abuse, cannibalism, animal abuse, and torture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHneYHcJt4

The game is one huge psychological mind trip and once you understand what's going on your mind will explode...

It's sick.

The entirety of the soundtrack revolves around Piano and Violet giving the game a very disturbing sound-track.

• Brohoof 2

Resident Evil is my favorite survival horror series, though I'm disappointed with the actiony direction they've: a lot of that survival horror feeling goes away when you've got an armory in your pocket. Anyway, I've got fond memories of the early games; I used to stay up and watch my brother play through them. Strange that I like the series and the only games I've played are Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil 6.

I also like the Silent Hill series a bit. And Rule of Rose is very, very good.

Surprised to see no mention of "The Last of Us," in here.

Not only is it the best survival horror game I've ever played, it's probably the best game I've ever played. The story, the scenery, the pure adrenaline, and above all, the feels. It's one of those games that you play through and just stare silently at the credits for thirty minutes when it's over.

• Brohoof 2

Not only is it the best survival horror game I've ever played, it's probably the best game I've ever played. The story, the scenery, the pure adrenaline, and above all, the feels. It's one of those games that you play through and just stare silently at the credits for thirty minutes when it's over.

All of the above is true.  I am solely buying a PS4 in the future to play the Last of Us 2.  Hopefully it would be as good as the first.  I have nothing but respect for the game and Naughty Dog.  Let's not forget that The Last of Us won Best Overall Game of the Year from IGN.  Overall. Meaning it was game of the year. 

If you want a silly answer however play this game.

If Bio-shock 1 and 2 count then those are some I play the HELL out of, I played a little of RE2&5, and I enjoyed them! Also Dead Rising 1,2 and When I finally decide to get a Xbox One, dead Rising 3. Also! dead space is fun, liked 3 the best. Doom (If it counts) and since its me, Minecraft  :blush: . Dont Starve also. Why? I like dieing! I know it sounds grim and horrible, but the fact that you have to watch your step and be careful otherwise you 'll die scares me and having to worry about everything, which is fun! which is why I tend to play games on harder difficulties (Its boring on easier difficulties), Also having to think what I need to take with me and what I'll need to do and can I do it. to me this really adds the prospect of survival, having to make choices! 

Edited by Nye1254

Dude, I'm right there with ya.

Let me tell everyone something. 

I am on my 4th playthrough of that game.  I am so proficient at the game ik where to go and where all the collectibles are and important gear is, it's not even funny.  I basically know the game inside out by now.  I still play this with awe and shock on my face, even though I am well aware of what's going to happen.  I know everything about the game but it's so good I can still keep playing it.  It's a masterpiece that comes once in a gaming generation.  I have nothing but respect for the game and I will continue to do so.  There's just too much emotionally driven story line not to love the game.  It's amazing no other game has come close to nailing something like this down in the record books.  

I'm in love with the Last of Us.

Best game of the year.  It certainly set the standard for games for 2014.  

I wouldn't really consider The Last of Us a survival horror game. It has some survival elements in there but basically it is Uncharted with zombies.

I wouldn't really consider The Last of Us a survival horror game. It has some survival elements in there but basically it is Uncharted with zombies.

Uhhhhhhh, how do you figure?

post-23605-0-25454200-1390253705.jpg

Because I actually played the game.

Then surely you must have noticed the horrifying enemies and the emphasis on surviving.

The key differences between Uncharted and TLOU:

Uncharted:

*see enemy*

Bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang.

"Oh, I got shot? Lol, no big deal."

TLOU:

*see enemy*

Bang. "Fuck, I seriously need to find some ammo."

"Oh, I got shot? Sweet Jesus, let me find enough stuff to make a med kid, oh my GOD."

Then surely you must have noticed the horrifying enemies and the emphasis on surviving.

The key differences between Uncharted and TLOU:

Uncharted:

*see enemy*

Bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang.

"Oh, I got shot? Lol, no big deal."

TLOU:

*see enemy*

Bang. "Fuck, I seriously need to find some ammo."

"Oh, I got shot? Sweet Jesus, let me find enough stuff to make a med kid, oh my GOD."

You must have not been playing the same game as me, because not once did I have any trouble finding supplies for medkits and the like, they practically hand out all the supplies to you on a silver platter, plus the reason why I compare the game to Uncharted is because it uses the same engine first of all, the combat feels the same only the weapons are toned down to give you the sense you are playing a survival horror game, and the enemies, the only creativity I see is that it is a fungus. I beat the game in one sitting, is it a good game, yes it is. Is it a survival horror game, no.

You must have not been playing the same game as me, because not once did I have any trouble finding supplies for medkits and the like, they practically hand out all the supplies to you on a silver platter, plus the reason why I compare the game to Uncharted is because it uses the same engine first of all, the combat feels the same only the weapons are toned down to give you the sense you are playing a survival horror game, and the enemies, the only creativity I see is that it is a fungus. I beat the game in one sitting, is it a good game, yes it is. Is it a survival horror game, no.

I do play games on the hardest mode avaliable, so that may be why we had different experiences.

And one sitting? Hot damn, dude, that's still like, ten hours. You sir, are dedicated.

It was 

I do play games on the hardest mode avaliable, so that may be why we had different experiences.

And one sitting? Hot damn, dude, that's still like, ten hours. You sir, are dedicated.

It was during the winter break, had nothing else better to do.

The Remake of Resident Evil for the gamecube.

Looked awesome. Truer to the original resident evils games then 4-6. Zombies that could come back again if you didn't dispose of them. The most hilarious death of a Tyrant ever.