Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What video game franchises need a reboot?

Black Licorice

Spyro the Dragon. :D

I used to play the hell out of that game when I was little! :D

First one was the best, but I liked all 3 of the original ones.

Now, I think he's just a character in that Skylander's series or whatever; not too up-to-date on my vidyagames.

• Brohoof 2

Megaman X, and reboot it in vein of the PSP remake Maverick Hunter X, none of that FPS bull. Make the series actually feel like it's about X instead of derailing it in favor of Zero and Axl like you did by X2

Edited by Megas75

I'd say Earthbound/Mother but I think that should be left as an untouched classic. A redone version wouldn't be bad mind you.

I'll agree with ghostface on Spyro.

Sonic. I'm a huge Sonic fanboy and I love what's there but they could really use a story reboot if nothing else. Some characters are just so locked into their stereotypes that if they were to transition into something else it'd be like they were a different character entirely. By that point it's better just to remake them or get rid of them and start anew.

• Brohoof 1

I would personally like to see Spyro the Dragon rebooted, but at the same time I think The Legend of Spyro trilogy was a good way to end the franchise. I know Skylanders is the spiritual continuation of Spyro the Dragon, but it's almost completely unrelated to the franchise as a whole. For me, I will always see 2008's Dawn of the Dragon as the "last" Spyro the Dragon game.

I think Warcraft needs a reboot, I like Starcraft 2, and World of Warcraft too, but i think blizzard should really reboot Warcraft after they finish with World of Warcraft.

• Brohoof 1

@@Scootalove, Rebooting a franchise doesn't necessary mean the outcome will be a good game. That being said, I don't understand the calls for a Sonic the Hedgehog reboot. Sonic Generations was released just over two years ago, and it was widely considered to be a great game. Sonic Colors was released a year prior in 2010 and was also widely considered to be a great game. Even before Colors, 2008's Sonic Unleashed was given praise for it's high-speed daytime sections. 2013's Sonic Lost World was sort of a flop but at the same time Sonic Team took a risk by completely redesigning the gameplay and movement mechanics of Sonic. In many ways, Sonic Lost World IS a reboot of Sonic the Hedgehog. Personally, I'd like to see a return to the more recent high-speed Sonic the Hedgehog games.

Edited by Mawile303

@@Scootalove, Rebooting a franchise doesn't necessary mean the outcome will be a good game. That being said, I don't understand the calls for a Sonic the Hedgehog reboot. Sonic Generations was released just over two years ago, and it was widely considered to be a great game. Sonic Colors was released a year prior in 2010 and was also widely considered to be a great game. Even before Colors, 2008's Sonic Unleashed was given praise for it's high-speed daytime sections. 2013's Sonic Lost World was sort of a flop but at the same time Sonic Team took a risk by completely redesigning the gameplay and movement mechanics of Sonic. In many ways, Sonic Lost world IS a reboot of Sonic the Hedgehog. Personally, I'd like to see a return to the more recent high-speed Sonic the Hedgehog games.

I guess we've had enough reboots in the Sonic franchise, maybe it is better to leave it as it is.

• Brohoof 1

Star Fox is one that I want to see. The series needs a new game that isn't a remake. Also, I want a Crash Bandicoot game that was like the originals. They were my favorite games when I was younger and I didn't really like the Mind Over Mutants/Crash of the Titans ones, they changed way too much

• Brohoof 1

Scootalove, on 23 Jan 2014 - 3:21 PM, said:

I guess we've had enough reboots in the Sonic franchise, maybe it is better to leave it as it is.

I love the Sonic franchise, and I'd love to see newer games made for it. I do think you make a good point when you say to just leave it as is though. I remember buying the Werewolf Sonic game being so excited to play Sonic on my 360, and being very disappointed. When I was a kid, I played the hell of out Sonic Heroes, and the Werewolf game just lacked the magic that Sonic Heroes had.

If they make them good, then I'd be more than happy to see more Sonic games. If they made more Sonic games, I'd like to see something like Sonic Heroes, or the Sonic Adventure games be made. I'm not sure the future of the Sonic franchise is bright, but I do have hope for it.

I love the Sonic franchise, and I'd love to see newer games made for it. I do think you make a good point when you say to just leave it as is though. I remember buying the Werewolf Sonic game being so excited to play Sonic on my 360, and being very disappointed. When I was a kid, I played the hell of out Sonic Heroes, and the Werewolf game just lacked the magic that Sonic Heroes had.

If they make them good, then I'd be more than happy to see more Sonic games. If they made more Sonic games, I'd like to see something like Sonic Heroes, or the Sonic Adventure games be made. I'm not sure the future of the Sonic franchise is bright, but I do have hope for it.

It's good to have hope in a series that could make new Sonic games, as long as we don't get Sonic 06 again the better.

• Brohoof 1

Scootalove, on 23 Jan 2014 - 3:31 PM, said:

It's good to have hope in a series that could make new Sonic games, as long as we don't get Sonic 06 again the better.

I never played Sonic 06, but I've heard a lot of things about it. Was it really that bad? :lol:

• Brohoof 1

The recent sub-par Sonic titles have mainly been the consequence of a management cock-up that Sega managed during the mid-noughties. Fortunately those have been sorted now and Sonic games of late have been pretty good quality, at least from what I've heard.

Pretty similar to what happened with Rayman. Ubisoft got so tied up over Raving Rabbids that they almost forgot about the whole franchise. Now, the two are separate and the games are much better.

Sub-par quality remakes seemed to be the order of the day during the 2000s, matters are getting better now that developers are paying more attention to detail.

Edited by Paspie
  • Brohoof 1

Spyro the Dragon of course.

The skylanders spin off's are horrible, something I'd never play since it dries your wallets, and it's not even about spyro anymore. X/

But out of all of them, only one character earns the rank of one who needs a revival because he was the icon and legend of the PS1 days....

Crash%2BBandicoot%2BGame%2BIncio.jpg