Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it just me or are songs not special any more

irobern2857

So is it just me or do songs not seem special any more.it almost seems that in season 4 we get a song or two almost every episode. To me it seems that they found that the fans liked the songs a lot so they decided to add a lot of them. I don't know any more. I used to be "OMG this episode has a song to it!" now its more like "Welp another song.". They are still good songs but they just don't seem to have the same force to them in my opinion. What about you guys?

EDIT:

I have seen a lot of back and forth on this thread about wither the songs are good or bad or special or needed or not. I never intended to say that the songs were in any way bad but just that they were ham fisted to us in the first half of the season. unlike S1 where they were spread out and each one hit us fairly freshly.

after seeing that the amount of songs were rather consistent through the seasons i think i have found why I started this thread. Its not so much that I don't like the songs (actually love Apples to the core and Discords song (I know all the critics can kill me later)) its just that almost all the songs were pact so close together that they stopped being a fresh shift and more of an expected thing for every episode.

Edited by irobern2857
  • Brohoof 4

Eh, I don't think so. The majority of the normal episodes of Season 4 so far(excluding Pinkie Pride, which was a musical episode), haven't had songs in them, and the episodes that have had songs in them have had good songs in my opinion.

As for the newest episode: Pinkie Pride; that was a musical episode with Pinkie Pie, a musical character, and guest starred Weird Al Yankovic, who is a very musical person. So, it makes sense that the episode had a lot of songs in it.

Basically, I still think they are special because they have all been good (to me), they haven't felt out of place, and there aren't that many.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 9

I love the abundance of songs, and it certainly didn't make the ones in Pinkie Pride any less magical for me :) All the songs this season have been great, except for the one in Flight to the Finish that's overly repetitive and awkwardly worded while doing it. But 9 out of 10 or something is an impressive feat, because I'm really picky about music.

• Brohoof 1

yeah I get what you mean... fanservice is waaaay over the top and I kind of not liking that, and yeah songs are being very common, but I have to take Pinkie Pie out of this because the songs were very fitting for this kind of episode.

I'd say nearly every song in this show has been enjoyable. Not sure if that's considered "special", but none of them have detracted from my overall experience. If anything, they continue to improve with progression.

Edited by IHazTommyWiseau

As for the newest episode: Pinkie Pride; that was a musical episode with Pinkie Pie, a musical character, and guest starred Weird Al Yankovic, who is a very musical person. So, it makes sense that the episode had a lot of songs in it.

Here I actually need to take a step back and confess that I never realized it was Weird Al. Looking back if I had known the songs probably would have come across better. I doubt I would enjoy the shear amount but I would have at least understood.

The songs are... okay... I guess. But they've definetly lost that extra 20% coolness this season.

It seems they've gone for quantity over quality.

Even in this last episode, I felt they were rather lacklustre.

• Brohoof 1

Generosity is my favorite song of the whole series, and I can't listen to it without squealing like the little fangirl I am.

(DISCLAIMER: I AM MALE)

I think this has been one of the best seasons for songs so far :D

Opinions, opinions. Eh. :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 2

The newest episode had way too many songs, just seems like fillers rather than develop an actual story :P

Well..is normal that Pinkie Pride has so many songs.

Who was the guest star here? Weird Al?

And who's Weird Al? A musician

The strange will be that there weren't any songs :huh:

Anyways,as long as MLP didn't do the same than Phineas and Ferb(lots and lots and songs, without sense with the plot sometimes)

As long as MLP doesn't follow that path with their songs,i'll still enjoying them :)

• Brohoof 2

Yeah i know what you mean. At first, it used to be that nearly every song (even if not the best) was memorable for its unique sound. The songs are still good, but it's gotten to the point where I've noticed musical patterns and they are all sorta starting to sound similar. Of course there's still exceptions to this, such as the goof off song, glass of water, apples to the core, etc but it feels like the majority of the songs have been following a certain template. We have the happy character song, the sad character song, the techno party song....

I would still say that the amount of really good songs is still about equal to before, but they're tossed in with all the more genericish songs.

They are a little bit to frequent in my opinion in season 4.  This weeks episode made sense, weird al, ok, so lots of songs.  Last weeks episode, Discord didn't have to sing, it wasn't necessary.  To me it didn't DO anything, and where is my Rainbow Dash tune?  Why does Discord out of everypony have a song already, but not one of the main cast?  

At least the music itself is still really good.   

'All of the songs were memorable'

Look me in the eye and say 'Pinkie Pie's Welcome Song', 'Twilight is my Bestest Friend', 'Pinkie's Gala Fantasy', 'Cranky Doodle Donkey', 'Cranky Doodle Joy', 'Happy Monthiversary', 'The Heart Carol', 'You've Got to Share', 'Hop Skip and a Jump' and 'I'm at the Grand Galloping Gala' were memorable.

Also to all of those saying S4 songs had nothing of substance and didn't add to the story, 'Smile' didn't add anything to A Friend in Deed, honestly 'twas just filler. 'A Glass of Water' helped showing just how out of control Discord was.

EDIT: You should add a poll.

Edited by Shift
  • Brohoof 3

The only two songs this season that I really liked were Apples to the Core and Discords song. All others this season have fallen flat to me. They were still good songs just nothing I would go back and listen to for no reason.

Nope, definitely just you.

Actually, counter-question: Am I the only one who finds the show's songs in general to be kind of 'meh'? They're catchy, don't get me wrong, but very rarely will a song's melody or lyrics stick in my head. Seems like "Smile, Smile, Smile" is one of the most revered songs in the fandom, and I personally thought it was...kind of...uh...banal bubblegum pop crap.

*awaits the hail of stones*