Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How heavy would a Pony be to carry?

Bendy

How heavy would a Pony be to carry?

As in you as a Human carrying a Pony friend of yours. I for one would love to give Pinkie Pie a piggyback, I could just imagine hearing her adorable laugh as I carry her on my back.

Or would a Pony be too heavy to carry for the average Human?

Edited by Rush

Depends on how big they actually are. Best estimates I've seen put ponies at about 3-4' tall at the top of their head. Actual ponies about that size weigh somewhere between 400 to 600 pounds.

So, not likely.

• Brohoof 4

Judging by the fact that pegasi can fly, I'm going to guess that they aren't too heavy.

For simplicity, let's just say that RD can output one horsepower. This is equal to 746 watts of power. One watt is one joule per second, which is also:

f98c838ae0ccac27a9478498943ca68a.png

So, to solve this, we need to know these bits of information:

• How fast RD can climb.
  • The acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.81 meters per second per second.
  • The amount of power RD produces, which is assumed to be one horsepower.

That will leave only one variable left, which will be RD's mass.

So, I'm going to make the simple assumption that RD can ascend at a rate of one meter per second, at full power. This is equal to a speed of 3.28 feet per second, for reference. This means that RD's mass (and thus her weight) can be represented by the following equation:

746 watts = 9.81 meters per second per second  * mass kilograms * 1 meter per second

Or, more simply:

746 = 9.81  * mass

This can be solved algebraically, which gives us an answer of 76 kg. This is 168 pounds.

rainbow_dash_flying_right__reuploaded__b

That should seem reasonable enough. Thanks for your help, Dashie!

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 11

THESE.

PONIES.

ARE.

LITTLE!

I can't picture them being much heavier than myself, honestly, which is a sturdy 145. Given the fact they don't stand upright, that makes them easier to pick up and carry, so...

I'd say a bit easier than a human being.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

post-1029-0-38860000-1391826427_thumb.png

Someone did math and figured out how tall ponies were compared to apples. There is a thread about it, and I'll post the link when I find it, But this is the correct size for ponies.

--A human could easily pick up and carry a pony.

now let me find that link, its got illustrations and like math n' stuff, good resource

http://mlpforums.com/topic/44546-about-how-tall-are-the-ponies/?hl=how%20tall%20are%20ponies

Its just a few pages, scroll down and look at the math art and understanding shalt be thine. Huzzah!

Edited by Silverhoof

Considering that these ponies are relatively small so they probably on average wouldn't weigh much more than a medium sized adult human which is probably around 130-175 pounds with some stallions like Big Mac weighing a bit more (I would guess he would be between 225-250 pounds).

Well chances are I would struggle to carry them if they are about the size calculated by people who've posted above me... Since I can't carry too much more than my own weight and I weigh less than that... But I figure for those who can, it would be fairly easy to do...

Then again they look to be about the size of a medium/large dog say a Labrador/Newfie... Maybe? I dunno xD

Edited by JellyBean

Judging by the fact that pegasi can fly, I'm going to guess that they aren't too heavy.

For simplicity, let's just say that RD can output one horsepower. This is equal to 746 watts of power. One watt is one joule per second, which is also:

img-2283712-1-f98c838ae0ccac27a947849894

So, to solve this, we need to know these bits of information:

• How fast RD can climb.
  • The acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.81 meters per second per second.
  • The amount of power RD produces, which is assumed to be one horsepower.

That will leave only one variable left, which will be RD's mass.

So, I'm going to make the simple assumption that RD can ascend at a rate of one meter per second, at full power. This is equal to a speed of 3.28 feet per second, for reference. This means that RD's mass (and thus her weight) can be represented by the following equation:

746 watts = 9.81 meters per second per second  * mass kilograms * 1 meter per second

Or, more simply:

746 = 9.81  * mass

This can be solved algebraically, which gives us an answer of 76 kg. This is 168 pounds.

img-2283712-2-rainbow_dash_flying_right_

That should seem reasonable enough. Thanks for your help, Dashie!

Holy Shit, that was possibly one of the most complex and accurate answers I've ever seen! Brohoof to you! @Regulus

Instead of using math to solve this problem, I feel like it would be better to use your imagination!

Why?

Because there isn't anything terribly... factual about MLP other than the fact that the ponies are "based" off of real animals. When I say based, I mean that while they resemble them, they are in no way 100% accurate to the real anatomy of a pony.

Anyway, you can make to-scale charts and mathematical assumptions all you like, but I believe they can truly be anything you want them to. Because they're not real. Their atoms and chemicals and elements that make up their bodies could be completely backwards to what we would deem normal or practical.

For all we know, they could be 80% helium X3

So yeah, if it makes you happy to imagine yourself carrying Pinkie Pie as easily as you would carry a 4 year old human child? Then go ahead and think that :D

• Brohoof 2

Instead of using math to solve this problem, I feel like it would be better to use your imagination!

Why?

Because there isn't anything terribly... factual about MLP other than the fact that the ponies are "based" off of real animals. When I say based, I mean that while they resemble them, they are in no way 100% accurate to the real anatomy of a pony.

Anyway, you can make to-scale charts and mathematical assumptions all you like, but I believe they can truly be anything you want them to. Because they're not real. Their atoms and chemicals and elements that make up their bodies could be completely backwards to what we would deem normal or practical.

For all we know, they could be 80% helium X3

So yeah, if it makes you happy to imagine yourself carrying Pinkie Pie as easily as you would carry a 4 year old human child? Then go ahead and think that :D

But that ruins the fun. By trying to determine this, we are making the ponies more real, adding dimension and believibility to their world and by extension, almost makes them a part of ours. And there is quite a bit factual about MLP. The fact we can still apply our own mathematics to the show and get reasonable results is proof. Things like Dashie flying at mach speed, Big mac struggling to carry a wedding cake, even the sonic rainboom to some extent and the energy needed to move the moon are phenomenon that take place here in our world. Figuring this stuff out makes MLP more believable, relateble and real. It's also kind of fun. 

• Brohoof 1

But that ruins the fun. By trying to determine this, we are making the ponies more real, adding dimension and believibility to their world and by extension, almost makes them a part of ours. And there is quite a bit factual about MLP. The fact we can still apply our own mathematics to the show and get reasonable results is proof. Things like Dashie flying at mach speed, Big mac struggling to carry a wedding cake, even the sonic rainboom to some extent and the energy needed to move the moon are phenomenon that take place here in our world. Figuring this stuff out makes MLP more believable, relateble and real. It's also kind of fun. 

In theory, you can make it more believable and you have every right to fantasize about bringing MLP closer to reality than it is now. However, to claim that the MLP world/universe is at all identical to ours in any way aside from simple aesthetics is... fallacy :P

I'm not trying to shit all over the idea or anything and I'm not trying to say like, "Omg it's just a show get over it" XD

But if you want to bring scientific theory into MLP, you also need to address that there are other possible theories that exist in our reality that could just as easily make MLP less part of our world than it is as a TV show. Like the multi-verse theory :P It can go both ways. MLP Universe could be a universe that is identical to ours in many ways or it could be a universe that is "identical" only in appearance but the planet is 10,000x that of Earth. So if a pony is calculated in our world to be 3-4ft tall, imagine that 10k times bigger on its own multi-verse planet O:

Basically, what I was trying to say in my original post and this one, is that science isn't always the answer to happiness. Especially when you're trying to use science to make something that isn't real, real.

Sure, it's fun for some people to use science to make things more tangible, but why can't it also be fun to just pretend? Not everything has to have an answer and sometimes finding out the answer sort of dispels the magic and whimsy of MLP. For myself? I like to imagine ponies would fit into the palm of your hand. X3

I think the ponies that would be hard to carry would be Celestia and Bulk Biceps.

I guess, it's possible to carry Celestia, if you can carry Royal Guard Ponies. They have a little shorter, but sturdier torso than her. Long legs shouldn't give much weight.

500px-Princess_Celestia_and_guards_S1E16

I totally agree with you on Bulk Biceps. :o

Edited by Gary S.

If the average pony is assumed to be about 4 feet tall, then I'd guess they'd be under a 100 pounds, so it's probably carry-able. I don't see the ponies as being very big or heavy.

Edited by Wingin'Wolf