Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[SPOILER] Time to Read Wayyy too Deeply

BalanceBrony

Sooo. Today, in the new episode, Rarity was mooning over Trenderhoof, and Trenderhoof was mooning over Applejack. Rarity starts acting like Applejack, than AJ acts like Rarity to show Rarity how ridiculous she was being.

At the end of the episode, Rarity realizes to not change herself, as we all knew the lesson would be. Interesting is the fact that Trenderhoof also learns the lesson. But anyway, so far I've only said the obvious. How is this reading deeply, BalanceBrony?

Here's where I'm going to shoot in the dark. When AJ tells Trenderhoof that he can't stay at Sweet Apple Acres, he goes "Ohh, in disappointment." Applejack guiltily begins to confess... Something. I quote: "Uh, Look, you're a fine pony, but uh, well, I'm uhhh..."

What could it mean... I kind of feel like Rarity cutting her off was intentional, to leave us thinking, so I just want to start this discussion.

Do you guys think this could be any indication of something else? Also examining the context of the rest of the episode too, we could really have some interesting discussion

Keep in mind guys, even though I'm implying that homosexuality is impliied, this thread is NOT about whether or not homosexuality should be depicted. There are more than enough threads on that subject. Instead, let's stick with this specific case, and let the head-cannons go off!

Interesting analysis, but I think the quote was indicating something else. The quote was interpreting that AJ was intending to hurt Trenderhoof's feelings, so the best way to do that was to show that he is a good guy but she didn't want to hurt his feelings at all even with his intention to move to Ponyville.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 1

It's a possible interpretation I suppose, but I think a more simple explanation is that Apple Jack is put off by the advances of someone who is basically a complete stranger. Trend shows up and seems to obsess over her, going so far as to say he wants to completely change his life to be near her. Apple Jack's awkward handling of that attention makes sense whether she's interested in stallions or not. She was looking for a polite way to let him know she wasn't interested without hurting his feelings. By all means she could be uninterested in stallions, but her turning down an obsessed stranger isn't any proof of that. After all, Trend wasn't interested in Rarity but he clearly still had a thing for mares.

"Uh, Look, you're a fine pony, but uh, well, I'm uhhh..."

"I'm uhhh... not interested in you."

"I'm uhhh... not looking for a relationship."

"I'm uhhh... too busy with my life right now."

"I'm uhhh... going to be blunt: I don't want to date you."

"I'm uhhh... not sure you're what I'm looking for."

"I'm uhhh... a complete stranger to you."

It could be a bunch of things, but I suppose it can just as easily be "I'm uhhh... not interested in stallions."

Edited by Creativity
  • Brohoof 4

Mmm, interesting but sadly its Fan-head cannon.

While I more then anyone agree and approve of Rarijack, sadly this just isnt the case here. Many will throw the arguement that "oh Rarity is clearly straight her two crushs have been colts" but due to her personality I honestly do not think it would be hard for her to "bat for the other team" if she had reason enough. If anything ANY sort of possible relationship between the two would be long coming, we are talking like a flash forward in the final episode of the show with the two of them cuddeling at the birth of Twilights Daughter/Son, etc. Nothing would ever happen this early, if ever. Romance is more a joke then a actual plot line in this show.

Which is FINE, it leaves fanfiction to fill in the gaps. This episode is going to EXPLODE all over FIM:fiction with Rarijack goodness. The line you pointed out will be the starting line of a fic with several dozen chapters  of the two having a hard time post the big shindig about unknown feelings for each other.

You could go further and really dig into seeing things that where hinted at, Rarity holds her hoof over AJs heart, yes she was attempting to clean her dress, but clearly after making it worse she lingerd with there eyes off screen who knows what is implied.

Oh Jock your just looking to deep as well, this is a kids show!!! Sorry, but I have been a fan of film and the general subtleness of its art since I was a pup and I can tell you, films that are BASED on a romantic relationship in coming, for two of its cast have far, far FAAAAAAAAAAAR less to work with then these two relationship have developed. 

Honestly, AJ out of all the Mane 6 has struck me from the start as the most to end up a Lesbian (fillyfooler etc). Her constant rejection of male company outside her Brother, and the fact her family is so damn southern and assbackward in terms of modern society that you just know the "ya'll better be finding yourself ah good colt to settle down with" talk has been given by Granny Smith more then once to the two mares of the tiny family. Fic writters clearly have picked up on this.

But hay, this isnt a talk about shipping, not really. I agree with there being a hidden depth between Ra-ra and AJ, and honestly it would be enough for me to see them together in the final episode of the show, rubbing muzzles or preening, etc. Like i mentioned this would be very effective to go out with a bang, but considering this show has at least another 2 or 3 seasons in it, i wouldnt hold my breath.

It could be a bunch of things, but I suppose it can just as easily be "I'm uhhh... not interested in stallions."

Ah, but the argument is would make is this: if it were any of those other things, why would she have been cut off in such a rushed way. Hmm?

Ah, but the argument is would make is this: if it were any of those other things, why would she have been cut off in such a rushed way. Hmm?

Because that would have made him heart-broken, and Rarity didn't want his feelings hurt. Or Applejack was about to say something rude. Or maybe Rarity wanted to share her words of wisdom before Applejack put him down harshly? Lots of options. :)

• Brohoof 2

Because that would have made him heart-broken, and Rarity didn't want his feelings hurt. Or Applejack was about to say something rude. Or maybe Rarity wanted to share her words of wisdom before Applejack put him down harshly? Lots of options. :)

Nuuu, you got me.  I still think I'm right though. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Or maybe she is asexual? Maybe she wants to keep her virginity. Maybe she is intrested in another stallion? Maybe she is into humans?

O.o... Humans... Maybe she and Lyra have a conspiracy going... OR maybe, AJ *is* human, and got trapped in Pony form somehow...

Applejack just wanted to make it clear that she wasn't into him without hurting his feelings.  What?  Did you think she was gay?

My head-cannons must be satiated, or else they will blow things up...XD

It's a possibility. She never finished her sentence...

My head-cannons must be satiated, or else they will blow things up...XD

It's a possibility. She never finished her sentence...

Yeah, because it's so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o hard to believe that a straight mare wouldn't be into this guy.

Trenderhoof_eats_an_apple_S4E13.png

Besides, if she were a lesbmare, that would give Rarity an easy way to defuse the problem (or make it harder for Trenderhoof).

Yeah, because it's so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o hard to believe that a straight mare wouldn't be into this guy.

img-2293728-1-Trenderhoof_eats_an_apple_

Besides, if she were a lesbmare, that would give Rarity an easy way to defuse the problem (or make it harder for Trenderhoof).

It isn't. Just saying, the way AJ was going about saying it, it seemed like a confession, and Rarity cutting it off seemed very convenient...

Applejack just wanted to make it clear that she wasn't into him without hurting his feelings.  What?  Did you think she was gay?

I say they should go that route. If anything, just to give the middle finger to all the idiots who want to live in the 15th century, and can't accept change.

I UH,  don't date unicorns.

honestly this is a tiny nit pick but,

it kinda bothered me the show doesn't seem to cross bread from unicorn, to pegs, to earth ponies.

It's not a major thing cause the show isn't about relationships,

but like

that's shitty message to send to kids.

I say they should go that route. If anything, just to give the middle finger to all the idiots who want to live in the 15th century, and can't accept change.

Or, now here's a crazy idea, make the character whatever sexual orientation they want and not make an artistic choice just for the sake of being archaic.

What would the point be in making Applejack a lesbmare?  How would that make her any more interesting?  You can't just make a character gay for the sake of it.  You have to make the character interesting because of their sexual preferences (without being dirty), or you'll just alienate people.  For example:

2125693-kanjip4g.png

Kanji Tatsumi!  A man's man.  If you know what I mean.

• Brohoof 1

Or, now here's a crazy idea, make the character whatever sexual orientation they want and not make an artistic choice just for the sake of being archaic.

What would the point be in making Applejack a lesbmare?  How would that make her any more interesting?  You can't just make a character gay for the sake of it.  You have to make the character interesting because of their sexual preferences (without being dirty), or you'll just alienate people.

Mostly true.

I'm all for members of the cast being gay, but since nobody really has had any romantic influences at all besides Rarity (EG doesn't count :eww: ), who is clearly (?) straight  there really wouldn't be any point to it. They shouldn't be canonically gay for the same reason they shouldn't be canonically straight, basically.

That being said, Rarity shows that the show isn't above having romance-ish stuff, so I don't see the issue with a character being casually gay. It doesn't always have to contribute to the character any more than being straight, sometimes it's just business-as-usual.

Headcanon is fun though! But no, AJ isn't gay in my headcanon, even if it doesn't seem totally unlikely.  :huh:

• Brohoof 1

What would the point be in making Applejack a lesbmare?  How would that make her any more interesting?  You can't just make a character gay for the sake of it.  You have to make the character interesting because of their sexual preferences (without being dirty), or you'll just alienate people.  For example:

img-2295893-1-2125693-kanjip4g.png

Kanji Tatsumi!  A man's man.  If you know what I mean.

That's not the point I was making. My point is, if they wanted her (or any of the others for that matter) to be homosexual, they should have every right too. Just because it upsets the status quo of what a bunch of morons have set because they don't want to accept that there are people like that in real life, they shouldn't have to be constrained and change it just to fit the norm.

I think if Applejack was a lesbian she wouldn't have had trouble saying that line at all. If she was trying to spare his feelings, "I'm gay" would have been the perfect excuse. Unless of course the head cannon is that she is in the closet.

I think if Applejack was a lesbian she wouldn't have had trouble saying that line at all. If she was trying to spare his feelings, "I'm gay" would have been the perfect excuse. Unless of course the head cannon is that she is in the closet.

Quoted for truth and great Justice. If Applejack was homosexual, I doubt she'd make a fuss about it (Element of Honesty, remember) and Equestria doesn't seem like the place were  homosexuality would be frowned upon. If we were talking veiled hints of homosexuality, I think Rainbow Dash interactions with Fluttershy are your best bet. Or you now, wait till the show is over and the creators get to talk freely :)

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1

Mostly true.

I'm all for members of the cast being gay, but since nobody really has had any romantic influences at all besides Rarity (EG doesn't count :eww: ),

Since Flash Sentry had a cameo in Three's a Crowd, I'd say EG is just as cannon as everything else.

flash_sentry_nya_by_chainchomp2-d6hrrvt.

I broke EVERYTHING!