Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If there was a rival cartoon which featured magical ponies, would you watch it?

Rarity Paige Belle

I'd probably watch MLP and the rival show, it'd be double the ponies!!  :D

A magical pony rival series wouldn't ever be able to have the success My Little Pony has had though.

And I'd still watch it if it was an education, aslong as it is still good. Remember, MLP is supposed to teach young children life lessons.  ;)

Okay, but what if it was made by PBS and was educational, would you still watch it?

Well, MLP is educational by teaching morals and lessons, so why not?

Besides, other shows do that despite not being too serious on lessons like south park, odd, but it works.

I want to say yes I’d watch it and be open minded etc, but tbh I wouldn’t watch it and I’d hate for there to be a rival to MLP.

I’m like that sometimes, it sounds really weird but it’d be similar to how I can’t watch Family Guy or Elementary, I’m not sure why I can’t just have two times the fun of Holmes and Homer in another form, but I just can’t. 

Well, I'd definitely try it to see what MLP is up against, but I doubt I'd keep watching it. If it's a show about ponies, it's probably targeted for younger girls, which would mean it's not likely someone my age and gender would like it. It's not like every single show targeted for young girls is enjoyable for teens and adults like MLP:FiM is. You don't see tons of adults watching Dora or Littlest Pet Shop, do you? 

Edited by mega
  • Brohoof 1

Well......most likely i would be pulled by my gf to watch it, so i would have to say, yes.  Then again, I think MLP:FIM storyline would remain as the best

Wasn't there a trailer at some point for a similar show to MLP? sort of....

I seem to recall a character that looked like Fluttershy, and one that was like Pinkie Pie

I can't remember what it was called arghh!! :(

I await the epic pony wars between the FiM fans and the Filly Funtasia fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv4NwK2BNXA

• Brohoof 4

Yes that was the one, thanks :)

This is such an obvious imitation of MLP FIM:

Bellamena looks like Pinkie, wearing a necklace that looks remarkably like an element of harmony one, talks about cupcakes and has a rather high pitched voice.

And then there’s the other one that looks like Fluttershy

I think I'll give Silly Funtasia a miss....maybe :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv4NwK2BNXA

Like this show's going to have any fans. :okiedokielokie:

It's not ponies alone that are the draw of the series. It is mainly for the characters and the writing. Maybe it would be better to ask that if another show came along that was as well-written as MLP, regardless of theme, would we watch it?

Edited by pegasusexpress2010
  • Brohoof 1

Like this show's going to have any fans. :okiedokielokie:

It's not ponies alone that are the draw of the series. It is mainly for the characters and the writing. Maybe it would be better to ask that if another show came along that was as well-written as MLP, regardless of theme, would we watch it?

Can't agree more. I think most of us would still like MLP regardless of what the characters are. 

• Brohoof 1

I would.

A rivalry of who's better sounds epic, but of course MLP is always #1. ;)

A fandom rivalry sounds pretty cool, but I could imagine the drama that could be involved. Still, it's a great idea. In fact, in animation this has happened before. Look up all the times Disney and Warner Bros went head to head, their rivalry was as fierce as the one between Chevy and Ford.

Maybe I'd check it out to see if it's good or not.

I would too. Following the animation industry has become a hobby of mine, and I check out shows that other people my age would most likely never want to touch.

Can't agree more. I think most of us would still like MLP regardless of what the characters are. 

Granted, that would affect this particular show slightly depending on what species or theme we're talking about, I was mentioning cartoons in general, regardless of style or theme. We say the characters are the main draw after we've gotten settled into the series but people probably got into this fandom for different reasons and some of them may involve the fact that they are ponies. Not necessarily a smaller fandom or a worse fandom, but a different-looking one most likely.

After all, this fandom made a s**tstorm when they turned our beloved characters into humans! (But most of that is on the setting)

Edited by pegasusexpress2010
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...