S04:E16 - It Ain't Easy Being Breezies  

309 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

sorry for quieting like this but I lost my original post.

Flutters Learns the value of tough love. about the corruption of the elements I agree. about Twilights element being corrupted ahem. deep breath "EVERYONE RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! HAAAAAAA" but seriously if Twi ever goes full on villain equestrea is screwed big time.

I imagine that Twilight's element being corrupted would just result in her using her connections and power as a means to reaching a quick solution. We've already seen how often Twilight uses outrageous magic as a means of solving problems. Maybe there will come a time where Twilight is pressed to find a solution quickly and is tempted to take the Elements of Harmony back from the tree.

There were so many consistency issues in this episode. It hurt. 

I wasn't looking forward to the Breezies (because I care more for Flutter ponies more, anyway) and after watching the episode twice, I can say with certainty that I still don't care for the Breezies.

GO HOME, CELESTIADAMNIT!

This episode's moral felt a lot like Rarity's key episode moral.

full analysis can be fond here: http://discipleofthedark.weebly.com/2/post/2014/03/mlp-fim-it-aint-easy-being-breezies-analysis.html

There were so many consistency issues in this episode. It hurt. 

I wasn't looking forward to the Breezies (because I care more for Flutter ponies more, anyway) and after watching the episode twice, I can say with certainty that I still don't care for the Breezies.

GO HOME, CELESTIADAMNIT!

This episode's moral felt a lot like Rarity's key episode moral.

full analysis can be fond here: http://discipleofthedark.weebly.com/2/post/2014/03/mlp-fim-it-aint-easy-being-breezies-analysis.html

I think Fluttershy was only buying what the Breezies were faking because she was getting too attached to them (not as attached as she was to that goldfish from the comics, but still pretty attached). Worst comes to worst, she probably would've let the Breezies live in a sectioned off portion of the animal shelter. It's kind of like a little kid finding a new cat or dog. They want to keep it as a pet, and they know they can't take proper care of it, but they want to keep it anyway because of how attached they are to it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This episode really didn't do a lot for me.  It almost seemed kind of forced.  When the ponies turned into breezies, the first thing my sister said was "There's the new toy line."  That sort of sums up what I felt about this episode.  It seemed forced and somewhat pointless.  It was difficult to sympathize with the breezies and Sea Breeze's voice was rather irritating.  It wasn't the accent or anything, it was just that I am sort of deaf in one ear and it was nearly impossible for me to follow it.  Several times I had no idea what the heck she was talking about.

I understand that in large the cartoon has to have its moments when it is a commercial for toys, and I can look past that to expect it to happen a few times in a series.

That being said, it wasn't terrible or boring, just sort of average.  Another appearance by Thunderlane was pretty good :)

Edited by CM Pony

I really didn't think I my opinion of an episode could be swayed by a single reference, but seeing the Doctor in 3D glasses and with Roseluck... well, it apparently is enough.  Well played.  I can say I loved the episode, but did I love it for the right reasons?

• Brohoof 1

I think Fluttershy was only buying what the Breezies were faking because she was getting too attached to them (not as attached as she was to that goldfish from the comics, but still pretty attached). Worst comes to worst, she probably would've let the Breezies live in a sectioned off portion of the animal shelter. It's kind of like a little kid finding a new cat or dog. They want to keep it as a pet, and they know they can't take proper care of it, but they want to keep it anyway because of how attached they are to it.

it isn't the issue of not being able to take care of them- she can. She's the animal expert, after all. It just seemed weird- she was so set on having them get home- she KNEW that they had to go home, herself, and was told repeatedly that they needed to go home- by her friends, and by Sea Breeze. Equestria is dangerous for them. Bottom line. Every pony knows this. Fluttershy knows this, yet still, her kindness cripples her and prevents her from just saying no, gtfo. Funny how she had no problem saying no to Rarity and standing up for herself, just back in Filli Vanilli, not that long ago at all

(edited)

Who is that stallion with Rainbow Dash and Flitter?

I don't think we've ever seen him before...

He was ALMOST as cute as Big Mac, but not quite.

• Twilight's spell. Well with a spell that powerful, why haven't the unicorns take over Equestria by now?

Technically (since Twilight is an alicorn, I assume you meant that since she did the spell) since Twilight is a Princess and all the alicorns are princesses, wouldn't taking over Equestria be redundant since they already rule it?

Edited by CM Pony

Good episode overall. Not the best, but good.

Seabreeze was a really awesome character. And I loved the scene with bees.

But seriously, will Spike ever catch a break? I mean, a leaf? Really? Not a big fan of the Breezified mane 6 either. Similar to Flutterbat, it just felt so unnecessary.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Okay, here's my opinion;

The episode was okay, but I don't consider it the strongest out of the Season 4 episodes.

Granted, the aesop is good, and even done well from a writting perspective, but ironically what the episodes biggest selling point, the Breezies were my biggest problem with the episode

Aside from SeaBreeze, who I found pretty likeable and will get to later, the rest of the Breezies, I'm afraid, I didn't find that likable.

Their selling point is supposed to be how cute they are, but frankly they failed to hit cuteness proximity (essentially, they failed where Baby Applejack succeeded with me in getting my 'D'AAWW's out). When I first saw them, I wasn't 'Awww! there's so adorable!' I was think, 'What am I looking at? they like some hybrid of pony, dragonfly, and Olive Oyl'

And even if I did find them as adorable as the ponies (and Spike) seemed to, I wouldn't really have seen it as excuse  for acting spoiled around Fluttershy, I know it's all intentional and their spoiledness is the focal point of the episode, but I wish there was more done to make the Breezies likable character-wise, or at least explain why they needed to go out to bring that pollen to their home in the first place (I might've missed it, but I didn't hear the explanation for what the Breezies need the pollen for). Also, with the way they've taking advantage of Fluttershy, I think they made Angel Bunny look like his namesake.

And I was more astonished by how frail and fragile the Breezies seemed to be. I know that's supposed serve as the one of the reasons they need help from the ponies for their pollen-gathering mission, but I only felt this begged some questions of how they survived long enough to get pony assistance if they were still gathering pollen before then. And I wish the the Breezie's strengths and weaknesses were portrayed in a more balanced way somehow.

I'm sorry, but what weakened the episode for me was that I couldn't find good reason to be concerned about any of the Breezies (aside from Seabreeze), let alone want to see them get home, part of me wondered if the episode will be with only Seabreeze getting home and the other Breezies forced to be out on their own as consequence for their being lazy and manipulative.

Edit: Really, Seabreeze was what saved the episode for me, he the only one of the Breezies I liked and felt sorry for him being in the position he was in and how he had to put up with the way his group was acting. If I was pony in Equestria, I probably would've volunteered to simply take Seabreeze back home and not give hoot about the slackers he's had to deal with.

Good gravy! I might horrible....

Edited by Misterian
  • Brohoof 1

I'm sorry, but what weakened the episode for me was that I couldn't find good reason to be concerned about any of the Breezies (aside from Seabreeze), let alone want to see them get home, part of me wondered if the episode will be with only Seabreeze getting home and the other Breezies forced to be out on their own as consequence for their being lazy and manipulative.

Edit: Really, Seabreeze was what saved the episode for me, he the only one of the Breezies I liked and felt sorry for him being in the position he was in and how he had to put up with the way his group was acting. If I was pony in Equestria, I probably would've volunteered to simply take Seabreeze back home and not give hoot about the slackers he's had to deal with.

Good gravy! I might horrible....

In my opinion, the great weakness here is showing vs. telling: Fluttershy tells everypony why the Breezies are wonderful, but we never really see it in action. Certainly it's a good cause to help other creatures find their way home -- but is that it? The audience has no pre-established connection with the Breezies, thus making them cute but thinly developed creatures. Although they look like they've got the potential to be interesting and funny characters, it never extends beyond their sudden bout of laziness and Seabreeze's (understandable) bellyaching.

(As an aside -- why on Earth do the lost Breezies decide they should exploit Fluttershy for her savagery hospitality? Would it not make more sense for them to refuse to leave because they're afraid of the perilous trek home without a clear means of activating their magic? Wouldn't that situation serve for a better lesson in which Fluttershy, normally a very timid and passive pony, convinces the Breezies that getting back to their families will require overcoming their fears? Conversely, she could have explained to Seabreeze that berating his fellow Breezies wasn't the way to gain their trust and build resolve.)

You know what it reminds me of? Zion from The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. The films never show us why we should root for Zion beyond the fact it is the last home for humanity. That alone is a great reason to care -- except the story never follows through adequately on the premise. In the case of the Breezies, we sort of know they're fragile and need to get home; however, their survival (or lack there of) outside of their homeland never felt as vital as the episode attempted to convey. An episode in which Fluttershy first encounters the Breezies and learns of their culture might have worked splendidly to ameliorate the problem, I think. Alas, their introduction comes in media res, without anything else beyond a passing mention during "Three's a Crowd."

I need to rewatch this episode in the near future. I'm currently of the opinion that it is the weakest episode in Season 4. The interactions and character moments were cute but hardly memorable for me; furthermore, I found Twilight's applied phlebotinum spell too shallow for my own liking. It smacks of unusually lazy writing for a show that is generally very self-aware.

• Brohoof 5

Pretty good episode although the reason for the other Breezies not wanting to leave didn't feel the strongest for me. What you don't care if you miss getting home, you just want to take it easy. Other than that I don't really have anything to add. Seabreeze being reunited with his family at the end was touching I felt.

Honestly I liked how the episode taught to be kind, but keep a limit. Pretty good episode and I definitely enjoyed it.

RARITY X SEQUINS IS CANON NOW MOFOS 

I thought this episode was pretty good all around. Interesting depth, a great guest star, and an overall fun plot. Though, I kept thinking: "There's no way in hell that Seabreeze is a dude." Also, the Mane-six-breezie resolve was ridiculous.

• Brohoof 1