Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2014 MLP Forums MARCH MADNESS TOURNAMENT (NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP)

Doctor XFizzle

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP  

273 users have voted

1. 1. Applejack vs. Fluttershy vs. Rarity vs. Pinkie Pie

• ALL CHARACTERS
    • Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Rarity
    • Pinkie Pie

Hey, now; isn't that what her image is, though? That of a DJ? :huh:

In any case, the fanbase DID in fact base what they created with her off of her image, which, again, is that of a DJ; it's obvious that she had the personality of a DJ to begin with. Didn't really need to get overly creative with her; that's her most notable and redeeming quality, is being a DJ.

Seriously; Vinyl is DJ. They just had to base her image off of being a DJ. It's obvious she's a DJ, too. Hell, her being a DJ is confirmed canon.

Notice how many times I said "DJ" in there? :D Really drives the point home that her image wasn't too hard to create for either the fans or the writers, because her appearance and what little canon we had of her sold it :D

I guess you're right.  ^_^ 

Not much was confirmed in that promo other than her loving dubstep. and still never talking

• Brohoof 2

Hahahaha! Derpy vs Vinyl was a tough call.

The first and only fan-fic I've fully read developed Vinyl beautifully. There are plenty of other light-hearted portrayals, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob1t-iUCmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHyw2rqNop0

In the end, I went with Derpy though. Characters that remind me of strong concepts often have the edge. One of my favorite takes on Derpy is the PMV, "Great to be Different", and how I've come to see her also plays a big part. Even though Derpy has trouble with daily tasks, she pushes forward and enjoys what comes her way. To me, her cutie mark represents how she lives. Bubbles are a fleeting beauty that vanish before long, but there's always another batch that follows.

post-13930-0-84226000-1396212811.png

It's the simple things in life that mean the most.

Edited by Starlight Sky
  • Brohoof 2

@@ghostfacekiller39: Those images of Rarity and Sweetie Belle made me think of "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils". Thanks for that.

(I really love how that episode seemingly contradicts most of "Sisterhooves Social", to the point of almost feeling like a ret-con.)

@@Batbrony: I see that Vinyl intends to knock Derpy out of this tournament. But I'm here to tell you and the whole forum, this shall not come to pass. Derpy... shall not fall. Commander Derp, I stand ready!

Edited by Bhending the Rules
  • Brohoof 3

Come on people. You know you want to vote for best pone instead of the pony that came out because of an animation error.

TL;DR a vote for Vinyl is a vote for freedom

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

ROUND OF 32 STATS

top 5 total votes

1. Rarity - 71 (vs. King Sombra)
2. Twilight - 65 (vs. Cheese Sandwich)
3. Fluttershy - 59 (vs. Bulk Biceps)
4. Discord - 56 (vs. Bon Bon)
5. Applejack - 55 (vs. Soarin)

top 5 vote percentage
1. Fluttershy - 91% (vs. Bulk Biceps)
2. Applejack - 87% (vs. Soarin)
3t. Discord - 86% (vs. Bon Bon)
3t. Rainbow Dash - 86% (vs. Pipsqueak)
5. Rarity - 82% (vs. King Sombra)

bottom 5 total votes
1. Bulk Biceps - 6 (vs. Fluttershy)
2. Soarin - 8 (vs. Applejack)
3t. Pipsqueak - 9 (vs. Rainbow Dash)
3t. Bon Bon - 9 (vs. Discord)
5. Lyra - 13 (vs. Pinkie Pie)

bottom 5 vote percentage
1. Bulk Biceps - 9% (vs. Fluttershy)
2. Soarin - 13% (vs. Applejack)
3t. Pipsqueak - 14% (vs. Rainbow Dash)
3t. Bon Bon - 14% (vs. Discord)
5. King Sombra - 18% (vs. Rarity)

Just went back and realized that Pinkie Pie vs. Sweetie Belle is a rematch from last year and in the same exact spot in the bracket. Bottom right region, top half sweet sixteen matchup.

post-124-0-19321800-1396229668_thumb.png

Edited by Doctor XFizzle

Sweetie Belle is my favorite CMC and Pinkie is, well, I love her a lot too, but she's far from being my favorite Mane 6 pony. 

But my vote went to Pinkie in this match.  For one thing, I find Pinkie Pie PMVs to be more entertaining...

My other vote went to Vinyl Scratch.  But if Derpy wins I'm happy with that outcome too.  :) 

• Brohoof 2

I sorta forgot about the Vinyl thing because my interest in merchandise is very low, and I still remember people talking about The Last Roundup like Applejack totally didn't have any interesting character moments at the end.

I don't actually have personal animosity towards either background pony, though. I just brought it up as a joke reason for my vote.  ;)

• Brohoof 2

Sweetie Belle vs. Pinkie Pie? Goddamn, that's a super-tough choice if I've ever saw one... :o

But, in the end, I decided to go with...

sweetie_belle___magic_time_by_caliazian-

Come on, she's the cutest most precious little unicorn ever, plus I like her just a little more than Pinkie Pie. Either one that goes on though I will be happy for, and whichever one is left behind I will be surely be sad about. :(

As for Derpy vs Vinyl though... yeah, I just went with Derpy. The line of which I like background characters just isn't as thin as it is with main characters for me, I can understand the difficulty of the choice for some though. :derp:

This round is hella close though... who knows what'll happen. :huh:

Edited by Radiance64
  • Brohoof 1

YESTERDAY'S RESULTS - EAST REGION SWEET SIXTEEN

(1) Pinkie Pie crusades over (5) Sweetie Belle 63-54

(2) Derpy Hooves unplugs (3) Vinyl Scratch 65-52

Today's matchup

Mane Six vs. CMC II: Twilight vs. Scootaloo

LOVER'S QUARREL: Rarity vs. Spike!

Love ya Spike but this goes to BEST PONY, RARITY. I'm sure you won't mind conceding defeat either.

• Brohoof 2

post-13366-0-02953400-1396275393_thumb.jpg post-13366-0-04741100-1396275400.png post-13366-0-84536000-1396275408_thumb.jpg

THE DECISION

Me: Well hello again everyone, thanks for tuning in and welcome to another MLP March Madness edition of Bhending the Rules. Joining me to break down today's matchups is an extra special guest *who* should be arriving any second now...

Me: Doctor Whooves! Thanks much for your time today.

Doctor Whooves: My pleasure, Mr. Bhend.

Me: Shame about that second round match. I did what I could.

DW: I certainly appreciated your effort. But Apple Bloom was a deserving winner. Maybe next year.

Me: Absolutely. So, today's matchups.

DW: Well, we have another Cutie Mark Crusader facing our Princess Twilight Sp-

Me: Yeah, yeah, whatever. SPIKE IS PLAYING TODAY!

post-13366-0-24072500-1396283002_thumb.jpg

DW: Right, then.

Me: No need to put any thought into this one. Just gonna check that circle and submit.

DW: I don't want to interrupt, but you may want to look at who his opponent is.

Me: Why bother? There's no way I'd ever even consider <looks at bracket> GAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

DW:  Hey, no need to freak out about it.

Me: No, it's not that. Seeing that name gave me an involuntary hand twitch and I spilled my hot chocolate in my lap.

DW: ...oh.

Me: I gotta deal with this. I think there's a hair dryer in the station bathroom that I can use. Can you fill a few minutes of air time for me?

DW: No problem. As it turns out, yesterday Mr. Bhend finally saw patches of grass for the first time since the winter started. So I think it would be a *FANTASTIC* idea to celebrate the occasion with the greatest song in MLP history.

DW: Our host has returned. So, Mr. Bhend, while you're blow-drying your pants and looking over your notes, we can return to our previous discussion.

Me: Yeah. So... this is less than ideal. And the sheer irony of these two facing each other is just... something.

DW: Interesting, if nothing else. Though I don't know how much of a chance Spike has against any Mane Six, never mind this one.

Me: Yeah. But hey, so what if Spike's gonna lose? He'll go down swinging. This just means he needs my help MORE this time. It's a no-brainer. I'm hitting that button...

(The distinctive "poof" of a teleport is heard. SPIKE appears.)

Me: OMIGOSH OMIGOSH OMIGOSH OMIGOSH! It's you!

Spike: The one and only!

post-13366-0-86779700-1396277821_thumb.png

Me: How'd you get here?

Spike: Twilight teleported me.

Me: She can do that without teleporting herself? Man, alicorns are OP as balls.

Spike: Oh boy, you should see what she does in season 8.

Me: SEASON 8?!?!

DW: Mr. Bhend, for the record, season 8 is *FANTASTIC*!

Me: What are you doing here, Spike?

Spike: I... think you might be making a hasty decision here.

Me: But I'm voting for you, silly.

Spike: Right, but... still, you should give your audience a proper analysis of the match for your show. I've arranged for Twilight to throw us a few helpers.

(Another poof. A RANDOM HUGE RARITY FAN THAT I MET LAST YEAR AT BRONYCON appears.)

Rarity Fan: Rarity is best pony!

Me: (raises eyebrow)

RF: What?

Me: Okay... two things. First, no. And second, you're just as insanely biased as I am when it comes to this match. You might as well be telling me to cheer for Kentucky next Saturday, it's just not gonna happen.

RF: Hey, you like Rarity a lot more than you used to.

Me: Yeah...

RF: And one of your favorite things about season 4 is how they've emphasized Rarity's more positive traits and muted the negative ones, to the point where it almost seems like they were never even there.

Me: Yeah...

RF: Like how the Sweetie Belle episode showed her to be a caring, selfless, kind-hearted sister, in sharp contrast to how she was portrayed for most of "Sisterhooves Social". And how she gave Fluttershy the chance to sing with the Ponytones while also keeping Fluttershy in her comfort zone. And how she's generally been less vain and self-centered.

DW: He's got some good points, no denying it.

Me: Still, though. You're talking to a Spike fan... and she's facing Spike here. Spike, if you're gonna bring in an analyst, bring in an analyst, not a fan.

Spike: Okay, one should be coming through shortly...

(Another poof. DICK VITALE appears.)

Dick Vitale: Fellas, it's March Madness time, baby!

DW: (raises eyebrow)

Me: Okay, seriously Twilight? Out of all the ESPN college basketball analysts you could have teleported here, he's the one you picked?

post-13366-0-04877900-1396279662_thumb.png

Spike: I gotta say, even I'm a little disappointed.

Me: Well... might as well make the most of this. So what's your take on this match?

DV: First, hats off to Spike for everything he has accomplished so far. Knocking off Shining Armor and getting to the Sweet 16 in a field this crowded is something to be proud of. I'm really impressed with this kid and I see him doing great things down the line. He's got tenacity, he's got heart, he's never afraid to put it all on the line.

DW: Except when he is. Or whenever his diamonds might be at stake. (Grins)

DV: But I'm afraid he drew a bad matchup here. I'm tellin' ya, fellas, Rarity is not someone I'd want to be picking against right now. She stepped all over King Sombra in the last round. She has all of the skill, all of the versatility, and all of the intangibles to be a champion. She's the ultimate Prime-Time Player. She's the unsung hero. And I think this is gonna be the year where Rarity takes it all the way to...

Howard Stern: Put a cork in it, Vitale.

Me: Howard Stern? What are you doing here?

HS: Well, I just happened to be walking past the booth a minute ago and saw a bunch of bizarre people yammering and you sitting here with your pants off, and I just felt like I belonged.

Spike: ..........

Me: Just roll with it.

(Two more poofs. HOWARD STERN and DICK VITALE disappear. DERPY HOOVES appears in the background, because why not.)

Me: ...or maybe Twilight can make them go away. That works too.

DW: They're gone? *FANTASTIC*!

Me: Look, Spike, I appreciate the contribution you made to my show. And I REALLY appreciate that you showed up here at all. But we're right back where we started. Yeah, Rarity's standing with me has improved significantly since season 1. Yeah, she's probably gonna win this match, and by a wide margin. But I already knew that. This vote is a matter of pride for me. Spike pride. Our analysis didn't change anything. There's really no point in putting this off any longer. I'm just gonna push that button and be done with this...

Spike: WAIT!

Me: ??????

Spike: I didn't want to do this, but I don't have any choice now.

Me: Please let this not be what I think it's going to be.

Spike: Mr. Bhend... I want you to vote for Rarity.

Me: GOD DAMN IT ANYWAY.

Spike: Look, I know it's a hard thing for you to do. But hear me out. Remember Green Isn't Your Color?

Me: Yeah!

post-13366-0-23118400-1396283976.png

Spike: And A Dog and Pony Show?

Me: Yeah!

post-13366-0-78031000-1396284195_thumb.png

Spike: And Secret of My Excess?

Me: How could I forget that? It was surprisingly adorable, given that you, ya know, nearly fell to your deaths.

post-13366-0-78241800-1396287531_thumb.gif

Spike: Then you know why you should do this.

Me: Still, I was kind of hoping I wouldn't hear you say it. But... don't you want to win this tournament?

Spike: Of course I do. But Rarity still has a chance, and I'd hate it if I was the one who ruined it for her. Besides, you see all those Rarity fans in the forum? As happy as I would be to win it all, I'm sure it would mean even more to them.

Me: Wow, Spike. That's... surprisingly profound and mature.

Spike: 

Me: But I'm still probably going to feel real guilty about not voting for you.

Spike: Look, if Ponyville had internet, I would vote for Rarity. You shouldn't worry about a thing. And I won't even ask you to break any of those sketchy alliances you've been forming.

Me: Hey...

Spike: Just see Rarity through to the Final Four, if you can. Can you do that for me?

Me: *sighs heavily*

You got it, little guy.

(SPIKE and ME exchange a SOMEWHAT LOW HIGH-FIVE, because SPIKE is NOT VERY TALL.)

DW: Well, that was certainly interesting.

Spike: Uh... I'm not teleporting back. Twilight might be in some kind of danger!

Me: Or maybe she took a nap. Hey Doc, can you give Spike a ride?

DW: No problem.

(SPIKE and DOCTOR WHOOVES step into the TARDIS)

DW: GERONIMO!!!

(I turn to my laptop, switch my vote, and press the button to submit.The DIEHARD RARITY FAN looks on for a few seconds after as I sit in the chair in front of the mic with a contemplative facial expression. After several awkwardly silent seconds...)

RF: Rarity is best pony.

Me: Oh, shut up.

P.S. @@Doctor XFizzle, NEVER do this to me again.  :P

Edited by Bhending the Rules
  • Brohoof 6

Ah well. Sweetie Belle put up a great fight, but beating Pinkie was always a big ask.

As for today, everyone vote for two best ponies. :D^_^

10839__safe_twilight-sparkle_rarity_anim

(EDIT: I don't ship them if that's what it seems like I'm implying. I just liked this gif. :P )

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 4

Pinkie won.

ALL RIGHT PINKIE IS HEADED TO THE TOP 8 AND SOON, THE WINNER'S CIRCLE!

Anyway I vote for Twilight and even though I prefer Spike, Rarity's had a good season and I'm feeling generous so Rarity.

• Brohoof 2