Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

10 year old student suspended for shooting an imaginary bow and arrow.

GenderIsAnIllusion

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/12/10-year-old-johnny-jones-suspended-for-shooting-imaginary-arrow/

OMG.... Schools and their crazy, neonazi ism zero tolerance weapons policies are back!!... And this time the victim is an innocent 5th grader. It amazes me how stupid schools are being, and treating innocent acts as acts of terrorism.

Anyone else have thoughts on this ridiculous injustice?

• Brohoof 7

Source seems to be a bit suspicious, but it's not unbelievable. It's funny though that it obviously is not telling the whole story and the context of the "threat" and whether it could legitimately be a threat without the imaginary bow and arrow.

Not nearly as bad as the "chicken nugget pow-pow" incident way back when.

It's sad too, since the last time I heard, many schools were actually getting rid of their zero-tolerance policies.

• Brohoof 1

Source seems to be a bit suspicious, but it's not unbelievable. It's funny though that it obviously is not telling the whole story and the context of the "threat" and whether it could legitimately be a threat without the imaginary bow and arrow.

Not nearly as bad as the "chicken nugget pow-pow" incident way back when.

It's sad too, since the last time I heard, many schools were actually getting rid of their zero-tolerance policies.

It was also on the news.... Here's a better source. http://www.cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/craig-bannister/law-firm-fifth-grader-suspended-shooting-imaginary-arrow-classmate

• Brohoof 1

I heard of another story where a kid made a gun with his hand and said "bang" and was expelled for it, although I cannot provide a source off hand. It seems that this type of thing is happening more in more in society; we are all so focused on the letter of the law and strict enforcement, that we are ignoring the spirit of the law and why exactly it were set in place. This was just a kid messing around and it infuriates me that schools are going to this length to "stop violence in schools."

• Brohoof 1

That's really sad. I mean, I can understand an imaginary gun (actually, no I can't, that's stupid too), but a bow and arrow? Come on, that's just getting really strict.

• Brohoof 3

Oh my gosh really. Kids tend to imitate what they see in media all the time and if anything, that's probably the most harmless thing to imitate. Also it was imaginary, what did they think because of doing that, the kid would shoot up the school? The parents must be really ticked at the school right now. Also, I get they're scared of people bringing guns to school, but to freak out over something as simple as this is way too far.

• Brohoof 1

ROFL AHAH! what they should have done to me back at highschool? shoot me? ahaha

-we hacked with an ardunio and a laptop the vending machine emptying it

-exploded the sink of the chemistry lab with sodium

-saw the bottom of a chair and used it to slide over corridorse while taped on it

-stole the school master password and ruining his account

after getting graduated we enetered the school with a Vespa (an old italian scooter) and we left our tires over all floors, elvator ftw XD

-stole all the RAM banks from computers and sold outside school

come on.. i was a delinquent and i got graduated with 97/100 rofl XD XD they never found out (well, almost all the time) that i helped on those shit XD damn guys.. schools are made to have fun!!! XD oh well.. that's Italy XD

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Since we are all very rational, understanding and reasonable, they just took his imaginary tools of imaginary death and put him on imaginary suspension, right?

Seriously...

EDIT: typo...

Edited by moonlightavenger
  • Brohoof 1

So kids play games like Call of Duty all the time, and they're expected to not pretend to shoot bows, and arrows or guns?

I mean, my parents played cops and robbers all the time as a kid. What about cowboys and Indians? It's just kids being kids. 

>_>

• Brohoof 1

There should be angry letters written. This is another example of complete overblowing of a situation and failing to realize the context. Young children, you know, tend to play pretend guns and stuff. I did it all the time. And I'm not some violent whatever.

Man that is crazy the way the schools are being now these days with their damn policies *exucuse my language* But its ricidulious i mean kids and teens do a lot of role playing and pretend fun. Thats all there doing and they think its dangerous just cause a kid was pretending to shoot an imaginary bow and arrow. Wow the way our society is turning out to be. XD

This reminds me of the 6 year old who was charged with assault because she threw a tantrum

http://www.kulturekritic.com/2013/06/women/6-year-old-girl-handcuffed-arrested-charged-with-assault-after-temper-tantrum/

or the woman getting 20 years for shooting the ceiling as a warning shot to escape abuse

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/26/marissa-alexander-new-trial_n_3995869.html

Justice is not just by any means. I should know...

This reminds me of an article I saw where a kid got suspended for pretending to shoot a gun, it seems kinda ridiculous to get suspended for something like that. And an imaginary bow and arrow is even more harmless than an imaginary gun, really.

We are all so focused on the letter of the law and strict enforcement, that we are ignoring the spirit of the law and why exactly it were set in place.

Epic quote above.

It's very sad to hear... Most of my childhood was shit due to these "zero tolerance policies", which only do harm. If you tell a kid not to touch that lap, he's going to touch it anyway. If you let him touch it, he will burn his finger, but he will learn by himself. Some people like to live by the rules, but sadly, thy expect everyone to do the same, they want everyone to do the same, while the others may want to live by morals. So if the others don't follow their rules, they punish them. It only do harm.

But well.. when I was young, I was playing with my friend, when he fell on ice. An adult was just behind me, and she thought that I pushed my friend. So she grabbed me by my coat and dragged me inside. Well, my neck was irritated and I had difficulty to breath. Quite shitty eh?

Childhood sucks nowaday; the adults don't take us seriously, and as soon as we do something "wrong" to them, we get bashed.

That reminds me of the time I got suspended in 6th grade for TRIPPING and accidentally bumping into my friend.

The school said they didn't WANT to suspend me, but according to the supposed "code" they followed, they had to.

Even though my friend said that he wasn't harmed in anyway and knew it was just an accident.

I bet that poor kid's parents are just loving that school right now.

I hate school -.- that's why I switched to home study! Woohoo! :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I personally got kicked out of my elementary school for just passively saying "I want to kill myself" on a really boring and slow day, and my mother and I spent 3 years trying to get "emotionally disturbed" written off my IEP, while at the same time said incident landed me in a special ed school for 6 years. I was taught not to say such things lightly and I was strongly warned almost any other time I said such a thing, even playfully. I know how this feels. This is just the latest showing how emotionally weak and overprotective our country's institutions are, distracting themselves with petty little cases like this instead of focusing on where the REAL problems are. Forcing people to bottle up emotions only causes more damage than it prevents.

Edited by WindChaserPegasus