Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Season 4 is over-saturated with too many songs?

Chuckles4lyfe

(edited)

Hello everyone, here's a thought that I had about the current season: so far we've had songs show up in episode 5,7,8,11,12, & 14.

In total we've had ~13 songs. There will most likely be a couple more songs that'll debut in future episodes, so my question is : Do you think that there are too many songs in this season? I personally love all of the songs we've had so far, but I do believe that the old saying "you can never have too much of a good thing" doesn't hold here. Allow me to elaborate:

Back in the early seasons we didn't have many notable songs appear often. Whenever a song did show up, it felt special and epic. I still remember when I heard Winter Wrap Up, Suited for Success, and At the Gala for the 1st time. 

I kind of feel that that feeling that I used to get when hearing a brand new song has died down significantly with season 4. When too many songs appear in back to back episodes, it doesn't allow the viewer to really absorb the impact of the music, and a lot of it begins to sound really "samey". Maybe it's just me, but I find it a lot harder to distinguish songs in S4 from each other.

So yeah, let me know what all of you think about all of these songs. On the bright side, it does give the brony music community a lot of new material to work with, but then we get into the territory of there being too many remixes sounding all the same, but I'll save that for a different topic since this has already gotten pretty lengthy already  :comeatus:.    

Edited by Chuckles4lyfe
  • Brohoof 1

No, I've really liked all the songs so far,

Some of them had to grow on me, the like song from the Flutterbat episode.

For me, the songs are an essential piece of the show. It just wouldn't be right without them.

• Brohoof 5

No, I've really liked all the songs so far,

Some of them had to grow on me, the like song from the Flutterbat episode.

For me, the songs are an essential piece of the show. It just wouldn't be right without them.

The song was perfect in that episode (probably the best S4 for me).

Infact that episode is probably the best s4 for me so far :)

• Brohoof 1

Season 4 has had some pretty good songs, I think the need for more was actually thrown around before this season started airing, and "Pinkie Pride" drives the total up since it was a musical episode in the same vein as "Magical Mystery Cure" (plus a musical guest, the first for this show), also the singing debuts of the core members of the Apple Family (barring Big Mac until "Filli Vanilli", and "Raise This Barn", which was more of an Applejack song) and Discord were welcome additions this season.

I don't think it's oversaturated, if it was, there would be at least one in every single episode which would probably lead to zig-zagging quality across all of the songs.

• Brohoof 1

Daniel Ingram's pretty good about it. Magical Mystery Cure, as already stated, was overdone, but Pinkie's Pride was a bit better about the 'chaining a million songs together like this shit's a musical' thing. And more songs means more remix bait. Even if most remixes nowadays aren't exactly awe inspiring.

• Brohoof 1

Can you believe the early response with the first few episodes was "Where are all the songs? This season SUCKS!"

Now people are saying "This season has too many songs! This SUCKS!"

Tell me. What is the "Right" number of songs? -_-

Because DHX clearly needs to be educated on the exact number they "should" have.

• Brohoof 2

I very much miss season 1's and 2's approach to songs. Several really small songs, mostly sung by Pinkie, and then the grand, 3 minute song somewhere. If you think about it, season 1 didn't get it's first full, decent length song until episode 11 or so, and that song was about 3 whole minutes long.

Now in this season, our first song was in episode 5. Still a decent 3 minutes long, but then every song after is around 2 minutes in length, save for a few I might be forgetting.

Basically, I miss when the songs were far inbetween, but long and epic, instead of just a ton of shorter songs.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sick of the songs yet.

Yes, there have been a lot of songs and they don't all hit home but I'm not tired of them yet.

5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 21, 25, 26

Those are the episodes with songs in them. Considering that the next episode is the 18th one, we won't have a song until April. So... yeah

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't see what the problem is, honestly. :D

You gotta be pleased with what cards you're being dealt.

First, people where all like "NOT ENOUGH SONGS OMG"

Now, people are like "TOO MANY SONGS OMG"

You gotta realize that the show doesn't cater to our desires past little nods, nor will it ever go past that, nor should it go past that. That's part of the magic of it; it was catering to the target audience when Bronies rose up from the internet, and it should stay that way; think about it. We fell in love with the show and have one of the most dedicated fandoms out there, and we were an unexpected surprise to the writers and Hasbro.

If it's got songs, great. Personally, I think it's frontloaded with songs, because I hear it's supposed to slow wayyy the fuck down with the number of songs being produced.

Also, the songs have all been good compared to some others found in the series; a good song always seems to heighten the experience for me, I dunno about y'all.

All in all, no; the season has been great so far, and honestly, this just sounds like trying to look like some great pony analyst by nitpicking what's perfectly fine  :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 3

First, people where all like "NOT ENOUGH SONGS OMG"

Now, people are like "TOO MANY SONGS OMG"

Finally!!!Someone who says the truth!!

When i joined this fandom,all people was:

-WE WANT SONGS!!!

But now they are

-STOP WITH SONGS!!!

What happens with you all???Do you need psychical therapy?Because those are symptoms of bipolarity.

And then the haters call us stupid people...now i understand why...with the image we give >_>

• Brohoof 1

Nah the songs are fantastic! One reason I fall in love with the show more than I would is because of the songs! And of the 17 episodes we have there's only been if not less than half the amount in song. I think it's gone perfect so far!

Absolutely not.

Maybe just because I'm a weird little musical lover, but the songs are really good, and I love hearing them in an episode. I get excited every time.

And I'll be honest, I was somewhat disappointed when they went and cut off the song in the most recent one, even if it did sound pretty bad to begin with.