Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Old School Geek-ism

ClandestineWubs

During my time as a brony (and even before), I've noticed that hardly anyone I meet has played either Dungeons and Dragons, or Magic: the Gathering. (The closest I've found is five or six people recently, but they all play Yu-Gi-Oh.)

Does anyone on the forums actually play either of these?

I play Dungeons and Dragons pretty often with my friends in real life.

There is more people around the forums anyway, just not many say it out very loud.

Edited by A CrayZ Cat

I play D&D! I also read a lot of sci-fi books, and solder, and other 'old-school' nerdly things.  I played MtG a couple times, but I don't care for the concept that the more money you pay the better your deck is and better your chances of winning

Edited by chocolate cake

Ah, so more D&D players. :D  (Making me want to join a campaign again,  :P

I play D&D! I also read a lot of sci-fi books, and solder, and other 'old-school' nerdly things.  I played MtG a couple times, but I don't care for the concept that the more money you pay the better your deck is and better your chances of winning

I suppose I can understand that, though most TCG's are the same, in that aspect.

I have a character made for DnD but I never have had the opportunity to play, the only time I was going to one of the people couldn't do it and it fell apart. I know a lot of people that play Magic, I don't personally but my best friend does.

Thinking about it, may be we could have a DnD game over skype or something

I suppose I can understand that, though most TCG's are the same, in that aspect.
 Well Magic is the only game of that genre I've played so I suppose my dislike is spread across all games of that nature.  I'd much rather a winner be determined by skill and or luck than who has the most disposable income 

I have a character made for DnD but I never have had the opportunity to play, the only time I was going to one of the people couldn't do it and it fell apart. I know a lot of people that play Magic, I don't personally but my best friend does.

Thinking about it, may be we could have a DnD game over skype or something

Yeah, that's what I've been wanting to do for about half a year, now, but I've never been able to find enough people. (Or a proper DM, for that matter.)

Well Magic is the only game of that genre I've played so I suppose my dislike is spread across all games of that nature.  I'd much rather a winner be determined by skill and or luck than who has the most disposable income 

Yeah, that was one of the main problems with me. Still stuck with it, for some reason...

Yeah, that's what I've been wanting to do for about half a year, now, but I've never been able to find enough people. (Or a proper DM, for that matter.)

Yeah, that was one of the main problems with me. Still stuck with it, for some reason...

Well I'd be down for it if it ever happens, although you may need to help me learn to play a real game

Well I'd be down for it if it ever happens, although you may need to help me learn to play a real game

Well, no problem, there. Once you have the basics, the rest is at least somewhat simple to learn. (I'm not going to say that it is, because...it isn't. :P)

Man I still kinda remember my character, I was a human warlock, can't remember the level 

I was usually an elf archer. My last one was level 12. Died on a 1-20...

I've never played tabletop DnD though I do know two people who are building their own tabletop RPG's. One of whom I know IRL, one I know through the internet.

Tabletop DnD's pretty fun, and can be fairly memorable if you have the right people.

Broseph it says on my page that I play MTG (although I haven't played in a while). :D

I haven't ever played D&D but I know lots of people who do. My roommate plays. So far, he says his character is a psycho that steals limbs from the things he kills so he's got a pretty good collection of limbs. He also has a taste for fine wines so every time they go to a run of the mill tavern they check the quality of the wine and all his friends are like, "it's just...regular...wine..." and he's like *snaps fingers* "but now we know!" His character also lost an eye so he actually got some points to put on other senses (I guess that's how it works) and he put some on taste. So now his taste for fine wines has sharpened. I thought it was pretty funny lol

We started playing the Tiny Tina DLC for Borderlands 2 recently and he says it's just like D&D. So I'm actually pretty damn interested in it now. 

Edited by Jean Valjean

Heh. I've been running D&D games since the blue box edition in 1977. Every other Monday night is game night for me, and the occasional Saturday with a different group. Occasionally we pull out different systems like GURPs, Palladium, so on and so forth. We long ago reached the point that the system is irrelevant. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Broseph it says on my page that I play MTG (although I haven't played in a while). :D

I haven't ever played D&D but I know lots of people who do. My roommate plays. So far, he says his character is a psycho that steals limbs from the things he kills so he's got a pretty good collection of limbs. He also has a taste for fine wines so every time they go to a run of the mill tavern they check the quality of the wine and all his friends are like, "it's just...regular...wine..." and he's like *snaps fingers* "but now we know!" His character also lost an eye so he actually got some points to put on other senses (I guess that's how it works) and he put some on taste. So now his taste for fine wines has sharpened. I thought it was pretty funny lol

We started playing the Tiny Tina DLC for Borderlands 2 recently and he says it's just like D&D. So I'm actually pretty damn interested in it now. 

Ah, that's a bit more advanced of D&D, I think. (I never had to worry about taste or anything such as that.)

Heh. I've been running D&D games since the blue box edition in 1977. Every other Monday night is game night for me, and the occasional Saturday with a different group. Occasionally we pull out different systems like GURPs, Palladium, so on and so forth. We long ago reached the point that the system is irrelevant. :)

Irrelevant as in unneeded?

I heard that they created a D&D online

I have seen some videos of it and it looks pretty okay, but there is one thing....

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS THING!!!!!

ddo4.jpg

Caption:  Arn't I beautiful!!!!

That would be a beholder. Nasty buggers.

Edited by ClandestineWubs

I heard that they created a D&D online

I have seen some videos of it and it looks pretty okay, but there is one thing....

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS THING!!!!!

ddo4.jpg

Caption:  Arn't I beautiful!!!!

It's a beholder, one of the several monsters that are actually trademarked in D&D as being 'original creations'. It's shown up in a variety of other places since, but it first showed up in the original Grayhawk campaign setting back in 1975.

That would be a beholder. Nasty buggers.

.I just noticed there are beholders in Castle Crashers:

Beholder.png

This thing made me jump when I first opened the locked door with the key sword and see that thing!

Also the magical boost it gives you isn't even that helpful

.I just noticed there are beholders in Castle Crashers:

img-2395674-1-Beholder.png

This thing made me jump when I first opened the locked door with the key sword and see that thing!

Also the magical boost it gives you isn't even that helpful

They give you a magical boost in Castle Crashers?

Irrelevant as in unneeded?

Any specific system, yes. The adventure and roleplaying takes precedent over the mechanics most of the time. So we can plug any system in as needed. The particular campaign I'm running right now has been presented over a variety of systems over the years. Currently the Monday group is using 3rd edition D&D, and the occasional Saturday is under 3rd edition GURPs. But it's the same campaign, and it's going to get interesting when the two adventuring parties reach the same place and need to interact. :)

They give you a magical boost in Castle Crashers?

Yeah but its only like +1 Magic which doesn't make that much of a difference.

You can only have 1 animal orb so I would rather recommend The tiger or Bi-polar bear.

Edited by Times S. Hay

Any specific system, yes. The adventure and roleplaying takes precedent over the mechanics most of the time. So we can plug any system in as needed. The particular campaign I'm running right now has been presented over a variety of systems over the years. Currently the Monday group is using 3rd edition D&D, and the occasional Saturday is under 3rd edition GURPs. But it's the same campaign, and it's going to get interesting when the two adventuring parties reach the same place and need to interact. :)

Seems like a lot of thought has gone into these campaigns. Would be nice to see people somewhere around me doing the same.

Yeah but its only like +1 Magic which doesn't make that much of a difference.

You can only have 1 animal orb so I would rather recommend The tiger or Bi-polar bear.

Eh. I think I'll stick with archery with all that I do. :D