Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Jan animations shut down by hasbro/C&D

M'aiq the Liar

This shit is starting to get old, really fast. I know they're in the legal right and all but I can't figure out for the life of me why Hasbro was all like "go ahead and be prosperous, you can even upload the episodes to Youtube as long as they're not Itunes rips" then turns around and starts shitting all over us via C&Ding everything. 

• Brohoof 2

@@Treble Bolt,

I don't think it's money, or at least that's not the primary motivation. (After all, it actually costs money to issue those C&Ds, whereas they'd loose nothing if they just let it be.)

I think honestly it's more reputation and accountability. If we can produce something so akin in style and presentation to the source material that it's practically indistinguishable, that could lead to problems for them. Sure, Button is pretty innocuous, but where do they draw the line? If we are allowed free reign to emulate as we see fit, we could put in content such as alcohol or bad language. If a child saw the video and couldn't distinguish it from the real deal, they might pick up something that wasn't meant for them. Next thing you know, Hasbro is getting sued by an angry parent for something that they didn't even create.

Hasbro's actions could be seen as nipping a lawsuit in the bud. It's remote helicopter parenting, and utterly paranoid, but if that's how they want to run their company, well, so be it. Caveat Emptor

Now this I can understand and I agree. But as the animations get better couldn't we just put warning signs or make content that has inappropriate material in it, age restricted. I don't want to see the animations quality have to drop just so the fans can distinguish between the show and fanfiction, surely there must be some compromise. 

• Brohoof 2

This shit is starting to get old, really fast. I know they're in the legal right and all but I can't figure out for the life of me why Hasbro was all like "go ahead and be prosperous, you can even upload the episodes to Youtube as long as they're not Itunes rips" then turns around and starts shitting all over us via C&Ding everything. 

Agree all the way

It's a shame this happened to Jan Animations :/ Loved watching the stuff that was animated.  :(

Also Fighting is Magic I was hyped for that then Hasbro decided they had to crash the hype train  :(

Hasbro is turning into the rain Hulk HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA sorry...

• Brohoof 1

I'm sorry, but I just can't sympathize. MLP is Hasbro's material, and they will do with it as they please.

You dont have to sympathize but you have to consider that if that was that arguement can be abused to take down everything fan made. Thats sad.

Now this I can understand and I agree. But as the animations get better couldn't we just put warning signs or make content that has inappropriate material in it, age restricted. I don't want to see the animations quality have to drop just so the fans can distinguish between the show and fanfiction, surely there must be some compromise. 

Well, I'm not an expert, so I can't say. All I can say is support the Creative Commons License, or other non-government services of IP protection. They provide just as much security as the creator wants and whatever amount of freedom he or she is willing to allow for derivatives. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm sorry, but I just can't sympathize. MLP is Hasbro's material, and they will do with it as they please.

Legally, yes. But from an artistic viewpoint, the more people you influence, the more successful you are. And if they make art that is only complete with your original, then you should be double proud.

And I am yet to see an MLP fan work (besides music) that offers a complete experience for people with no knowledge of the original.

• Brohoof 1

Hasbro is turning into the rain Hulk HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA sorry...

Hasbro needs to calm themselves. Even with all the technical laws and copyright shenanigans. Why let your fanbase go so far to do stuff and then snuff out the few. Like seriously  :okiedokielokie: . Hasbro doesn't want us to have fun apparently.

Hasbro needs to calm themselves. Even with all the technical laws and copyright shenanigans. Why let your fanbase go so far to do stuff and then snuff out the few. Like seriously  :okiedokielokie: . Hasbro doesn't want us to have fun apparently.

I know that feeling Hasbro not like it is hit on copyright anyway...

• Brohoof 1

End answer is they talk to Hasbro and make sure they are authorized and have permission. That's the easiest answer to the big question.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/03/mike-vogel-looking-into-concerns-about.html?m=1

Looks like Mike Vogel is going to look into it. I hope he keeps up his promise and give some sort of answer.

Wonderful news. If the backlash is too great and if this was not really condoned from up top maybe there's hope.

Edited by Freewave

You dont have to sympathize but you have to consider that if that was that arguement can be abused to take down everything fan made. Thats sad.

There is actually a proposal - similar to the infamous SOPA - that wants to do exactly that: make everything fan made illegal.

Hasbro must be getting tired of this too, but when they overlook something and turn around to track down on whoever is breaking the rules they love shutting down things that are against the copyright laws. Hasbro, you might want to stop.

• Brohoof 1

End answer is they talk to Hasbro and make sure they are authorized and have permission. That's the easiest answer to be the big question.

Wonderful news. If the backlash is too great and if this was not really condoned from up top maybe there's hope.

Doubtful they will agree into the making of any animation as good as this. I also doubt that would stop them from taking down even authorized fanwork. Didn't they do that with double Rainboom? One can hope i guess.

Legally, yes. But from an artistic viewpoint, the more people you influence, the more successful you are. And if they make art that is only complete with your original, then you should be double proud.

And I am yet to see an MLP fan work (besides music) that offers a complete experience for people with no knowledge of the original.

I never said that I agreed with it. My point is a.) there is no good reason to "fight back" because you would be in the wrong and b.) Hasbro gets the final say.

There is actually a proposal - similar to the infamous SOPA - that wants to do exactly that: make everything fan made illegal.

Fetch me my shotgun... The stupidity of this is uprecedented. Link plx?

not_this_shit_again.jpg

It seems like any time Hasbro shuts down something that it is perfectly in its right to do because it uses its IP, people get up in arms and flip their shit, even when the creators of the fan content are insisting it's not a big deal and not to make a big deal about it.

Hasbro gets the final say.

Sadly: yes, they do. :(

But that still doesn't mean they will always. Copyright laws changed a lot through history, maybe now that there are so many artists online gaining more popularity than commercial creators, art will define the law controlling art, not money.

It's not wrong to earn money with what you do, but any good intellectual product affects its consumers and if that effect makes them want to spread it, than the creator - as an artist - should feel achievement.

But giving credit is important. Very important.

Precisely how I feel half the time. I love the show, I love the official content and there is even some fan content I love. It seems as though the creators of that content half the time are just happy they were able to do anything at all and are honored that Hasbro even recognized it. They are usually willing to cooperate with Hasbro because they look up to them for providing the content in the first place.

Then the fans of the fan work make them look like a bunch of asshats to Hasbro by flipping their shit despite being told not to. Then they scream about injustice and copyright laws that they have little understanding of as if they would know better than the legal department of a multi-million dollar company. Occasionally they will get a fledgling law student to agree with them and somehow think that makes the whole "fan work" argument work despite clearly having little understanding of how parody laws actually work. Spoiler: Calling it a parody and saying it's non-profit does not magically make the legal departments go away; nor does it make it so your argument will stand in court.

I am willing to bet though that despite their insistence that they would be "glad people are making deviations of their work" most of these fans if they were in Hasbro's position would act exactly as they are. It's so easy to say you'd do something else when you've never been in that situation now isn't it?

Sadly: yes, they do. :(

But that still doesn't mean they will always. Copyright laws changed a lot through history, maybe now that there are so many artists online gaining more popularity than commercial creators, art will define the law controlling art, not money.

It's not wrong to earn money with what you do, but any good intellectual product affects its consumers and if that effect makes them want to spread it, than the creator - as an artist - should feel achievement.

But giving credit is important. Very important.

True. Things could change for the better.

• Brohoof 1