Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has anybody ever pronounced your name wrong?

Colorful Respawn

Yes actually, many people have pronounced my last name wrong  :yay: It's Shutkowski (Pronounced Shuh-koh-ski), they pronounce it like Shitcowski and Shukofski.  :(

Yes actually, many people have pronounced my last name wrong  :yay: It's Shutkowski (Pronounced Shuh-koh-ski), they pronounce it like Shitcowski and Shukofski.  :(

The most amusing mis pronunciation I have ever had was grab-your-house-keys. Though I think that was deliberate.

I'm not going to post it, but it's a fairly heavy polish last name. So yes, mispronunciation happens fairly often. I sometimes respond with the casual pronunciation or the formal pronunciation (fully accented correctly) depending on how annoyed I am with the person messing it up. (ex, telemarketers: formal; friends: casual.)

Edited by Celtore

My last name is Crowel, and not only does it get pronounced wrong all the time (its Cr-ow (as in hurting youself)- ul) they pronounce it either Crow-el, Crow-l, or sometimes like Crowley for some reason. It gets spelled wrong constantly, even by doctor's official files as either Crowell, Crowl, Crowley, and the like.

My first name is so popular that it's practically impossible to pronounce it incorrectly. My last name, however, is always mispronounced. lol

Kowalski is the simplest of the Polish surnames to pronounce! Seriously! I can't believe how often that gets butchered. My name's not "Kawasaki", it's not "Kahwahski", it's "Koh-wall-ski". Yes, that simple. 

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 2

Yep. People would butcher my original last name, Sausedo, in many different ways, some of them quite creative. The two most common ones I ever heard were "Salcedo" and "Sausalito" (like the cookie). No clue where the hell those Ls are coming from. I guess people just have a thing for the letter L.

This one kid many years ago tried to "correct me" on how to pronounce my own name......no, I'm serious.

Well actually, now that I recall, it was how to spell my own name (he was convinced that George was spelt "Jorge"), but still.....that was an....interesting bus ride.

Well my name has some times been pronounced wrongly, because it was pronounced as if it started with si instead of cha, but my last name.. About 40 percent or less can't get it right at first. xD