Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Meghan McCarthy officially strikes down Sparity

Dattebayo

(edited)

Can't say I'm surprised. In the episode "Secret of My Excess", it was clear that when Spike was about to confess his feelings for Rarity (while falling, of course) and she shusshed him, it seemed pretty obvious that Rarity had no feelings for Spike whatsoever, but of course as a good friend would, wanted to let him down easy.

I took it as "I know, Spike. I know."

Didn't everyone?

Hell, she even calls him Spikey Wikey after that!

She kissed him on the cheek!

It was tender.

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 3

Who cares? The people who don't like sparity shouldn't. They don't need confirmation it's not canon, they know that.

The people who do like sparity? Why should this stop you?

The people who don't care either way? We remain unchanged.

I've never counted anything a writer says as canon, unless it's in the actual show/game/book/whatever. I just think it's the writers personal headcanon.

Edited by BasementPony

Now that I read the news, I kinda don't want to ship the two anymore, and it was my OTP.

It's like...when your mom says she's gonna bring you ice cream (Sparity), and she takes pictures and sends it to you ("Secret Of My Excess", the Nightmare Rarity Arc), and then comes home and says there was never any ice cream..

Sure, I didn't expect it to canonically happen. Maybe just a few hints here and there supporting it (like pretty much every moment Spike and Rars shared after SME).

But the disappointment made me bitter. I had a bunch of bada$$ Sparity art lined up, and now I don't really want to draw it anymore.

If it was truly your OTP, then you would never abandon your ship! No matter if it was hit by a canon. ;)

Keep drawing your art, keep shipping your ship! Don't let this anchor you down!

• Brohoof 1

Why is my internet meme sense tingling right now? :blink:

Probably because The Winter Soldier is going to rip the roof off of your car with his bionic arm.

Watch out! There he is!

Of course it will never happen. Rarity belongs to AJ, duh.

Rarity is an adult pony and Spike is a baby dragon. The idea of them ever blossoming into anything more than a cute one-sided crush friendship that's played for gags is just a pipe dream for a handful of shippers and it always was. Spike's crush on Rarity is cute and it adds an interesting dynamic to both his character and Rarity's, but that's it. Maybe the poor little dragon can shift his focus on Sweetie Belle instead. There might be potential there. :P

The reception after "A Canterlot Wedding" did seem to plant those seeds, if subtle, though none of the writers have picked up on the possibility. Might make for a cute episode wherein one of them develops a crush on the other.

• Brohoof 3

The reception after "A Canterlot Wedding" did seem to plant those seeds, if subtle, though none of the writers have picked up on the possibility. Might make for a cute episode wherein one of them develops a crush on the other.

Hmm, that would be an interesting episode if Sweetie Belle developed a crush on Spike even though Spike is still going for Rarity. ...Sounds more like a fanfiction, actually. :lol:

Hmm, that would be an interesting episode if Sweetie Belle developed a crush on Spike even though Spike is still going for Rarity. ...Sounds more like a fanfiction, actually. :lol:

Spike got game, friend. Spike got game.
  • Brohoof 1

Megan McCarthy's "opinion" can be easily retconned by making a "Spike turns into a pony" episode.

...I just hope they don't give Spike a girl dragon to like or something stupid like that.

Edited by windy_prance

Megan McCarthy's "opinion" can be easily retconned by making a "Spike turns into a pony" episode.

...I just hope they don't give Spike a girl dragon to like or something stupid like that.

I don't think that would change anything. Most of the people who don't like sparity are against it because of the age difference, not the species difference.

I've never been pro-sparity,but it's a bit sad that it has been said on that way that it'll never happen -_-Rarijack4Ever

But now seriously,I've never saw their relationship further than a chidish crush from Spike's point of sight.If i could ship Spike with anyone,ot wouñd be Sweetie Belle.

I don't like that kind of ship either but,what's more possible in comparaison? :huh:

Let's see how Spike takes this,now that he'll never have Rarity :huh:

spike_crying_by_iamcommando13-d5iqeo1.pn

Edited by Lightwing

And thus in the year 2014, in the vast ocean known as Babscon, the RMS Sparity was sunk after being hit by a torpedo fired from the submarine M39H4N MCC4RTHY.

There were no survivors. (Not mocking the RMS Lusitania by the way. I coined this after being reminded of the incident)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But seriously, while I secretly hoped this would happen, there's a little thing called reality. Sparity was never going to happen, I knew it. Age gap was far too wide to begin with, and then there was the demographic.

Tough luck, shippers. Return to your vivid, colourful and perverted imaginations while you can. This ship is lost.

Edited by Firebolt Blitz

Not to worry. Spike will eventually, when he grows up, meet some lovely dragonette. But she'll turn out to be a gold digger.

No, seriously. She'll, like, dig gold out of the ground, With her claws. Hence, gold digger.

• Brohoof 1

Meh. The pairing's kinda one-sided anyway. It's almost as bad as Sanji/Nami. A love-smitten guy who'll do ANYTHING for their crush, a lady that likes manipulating people. Unless the relationship becomes canon, she likes him back, and it becomes less exploitative... I don't see the relationship going anywhere non-creepy.

605054__safe_rarity_shipping_spike_strai

Well, I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but skip to 1:03:30 and listen.

http://youtu.be/6_HvYXBcc20

That line on the picture is apparently not what McCarthy or anyone there actually said and it seems that the picture itself has already been taken down from derpibooru; I guess because it's nothing but a bait.

So neither a definite yes nor a definite no; would be sad if his crush would always be the status quo without any development into any direction whatsoever, but it's simply the way it is now.

• Brohoof 1