Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Types of video game music

Discordian

26 users have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite type of video game music?

• Battle/Boss
    • Atmosphere
    • Town/City
    • World Map
    • Stage
    • Menu Selection
    • Other

We're not talking about genres here, obviously. We're talking about what music plays and when. Which one draws you most often? I put an other option because it's likely I've missed something and if it wasn't obvious I was basing it off of RPGs more than anything so the structure may be different in some genres. For example, stage and atmosphere may be the same thing in some games.

My favorite has to go to boss and battle themes. Nothing draws me in more than a boss theme that gets my blood boiling. It's even more amazing when a battle or boss theme is actually a remix of the main theme of the game.

(edited)

The boss and battle themes gets my adrenaline pumping, just to get focused and beat the boss.

Plus, the menu selection comes as a bonus. :P Batman: Arkham City has the menu selection and the boss/battle themes locked up since the entire soundtrack is really great.

Edited by Scootalove

I don't pay much attention to the music. In fact, I hate music in most modern games. In older games, the music was there to keep the game from being too boring. But in modern games, with immersive environments and stories, the back ground music takes away from the realism. I usually turn off the music if there is an option to do so.

I played Call of Duty, back when they used to make WW2 shooters, and there was a mission where I was sneaking around but the music was a loud, orchestral score and it would repeat. It totally took me out of the game. Whenever there is background music I keep imagining that my character is listening to an iPod or something.

I chose them all, because when the music is good its all good. 

If i had to choose one game that was an example of this, its Halo. Halo has a beautiful goddamn soundtrack. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Battle music and atmospheric. One game's (Actually, mod's) soundtrack in particular comes to mind, having examples of both.

Edited by Tholos

I have been collecting game soundtracks for a little over a year thanks to the Humble Bundle.  I have like 3 days worth of video game mp3s.  No lie the best one is The Sims 3.  It is so peppy and bubbly.   :lol:

Depends on the game. In something like Skyrim, the town and overworld music is just divine... Streets of Whiterun is something I could listen to all day. In something like Mass Effect, my favourite pieces of music tend to be the orchestration written for the cutscenes, though again the whole soundtrack is pretty damn awesome. And the main theme for Halo is one of my favourite pieces of soundtrack music of all time.

You can seriously tell when a game has a good music budget. It makes everything feel 200% better.

And I'll agree with everyone else who is saying the main theme playing through a boss battle is just about the most epic thing a game can do. =D

• Brohoof 1

It depends on the game, any of those could be awesome. A few of my favorites...

Menu Selection: Menu theme from Super Smash Brothers Melee:

Theme: Deus Ex Main Title Theme:

Battle: Star Ocean 3 Battle Theme:

Atmosphere: Sims 3, Amazing Facsimile:

Stage: Doom II, Into Sandy's City:

And then there are pieces that just go really well with the action, last mission of Saints Row 3 (spoilers, obviously):

My 2c :)

As a Halo fan, i tend to like the "Atmosphere, Town/City, and Menu Themes".  They have something which I can't describe for some reason, but have that type of music which is just an obsession.     Martin O'Donnell FTW

(edited)

Battle themes. I play fighting games often, so battle themes sometimes also count as character/stage themes. These tracks always set the mood for the battle and are often times the most memorable for me. The best part is that, in the case of fighting games, they also capture the style of the character (or maybe the tension between the characters). Oh yes, you can get delightfully playful tunes or maybe something a little more serious and sorrowful. Of course it's not just fighting games that have nice battle themes; RPGs are no slouch when it comes to epic boss battles.

There is surely good music in all of the categories listed, but I feel that battle themes have to have the most feeling seeing as they're a battle: a climactic clashing of tension.

Edited by Mutemutt
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I chose both "stage" and "world map."  Stage because I love old school games that often had little or no in-game story and focused primarily on having to tackle a series of stages.  Press start and play: "Oh, the level 1-1 theme is really catchy."  It's not unusual for me to be humming a robot master stage theme from some 8-bit Mega Man title (Snake Man, I'm thinking of you).  I chose world map as well because I love some old school, turn-based RPGs.  I'm a Dragon Quest fan, and I've always enjoyed the world map theme from the first title.  And when you reach the Veldt in FFVI?  I'd just sit there a while and listen to the "Wild West" track.  Nowadays all my favorite video game tunes are brought to me by my Wii U (8-bit and otherwise); I can't tell you how excited I am to experience the soundtrack for the upcoming Mario Kart 8.

Edited by PegaMister

(edited)

Battle music usually means trombones and low brass in the background music playing out!!

My favorite game music is atmosphere. The Spyro the Dragon (first of its series) soundtracks are my favorite.

Edited by Super80 Wolf

I can't answer that poll, it depends on what games.

Sonic games have great music all around, the boss battles being my favorites, usually.

Halo and Gears of War games have pretty good in level music all around.

Skyrim has great music, regardless where you're at.

I just can't pick! ^^

It's a tie between Battle themes and Stage themes for me. Although, I tend to like more Stage themes than Battle themes, after playing too many platformers. :P

(edited)

I like concept and battle themes.

Like, the battle themes in Mother 3 are just... golden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8gzPalCyVc

And the Portal 2 concept songs are pretty weird, but pretty good. They remind you of the concept of things without having you play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0uW04oswbI

This is what I'm talking about. It brings me the total idea of flying through the air abruptly and very loudly, just like it's in the game. I can't listen to this song without those images getting in my mind.

Edited by caramba2654

I had to go with Boss Battle music for reasons stated previously. It's just so intense, and it gets you in that "Alright, no more playing around" mood. My favorite boss music probably comes from Kid Icarus: Uprising, especially Dark Pit's theme.

The battle music! Especially the track from Fallout 3: