Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark Qiviut

The flaw or weakness that stands out most to you?  

25 users have voted

1. 1. The flaw or weakness that stands out most to you?

• Spike's role and/or characterization
    • The climax
    • The Equestria Games being a pointless backdrop for Spike's role and conflict
    • The moral being TOLD to Spike
    • Expository dialogue
    • Spike botching the Cloudesdale anthem
    • Reinforcement of broken characterization/continuity from Rainbow Falls (Snowflake having trouble flying, Fluttershy not affected by stage fright)
    • Other (explain below)

(edited)

Note: For the collection of other "Pick a Flaw" episode threads, head over to the "Pick a Flaw" blog portal (which'll be updated periodically) or check the list at the bottom of the OP.

Equestria Games aired, concluding one of three arcs, this one the longest by crossing through the third season and deep into the fourth. DHX spent more episodes and time focusing on the Games (four episodes, three of them with great importance) and was treated as something grander than the Gala. After it aired, it was meant with a very mixed reception, many people liking it and many disliking it (the loudest of this group being Tommy Oliver).

To quote myself from the Boast Busters PaF thread:

So, if you're familiar with these threads, you know the drill. For those who are getting involved for the first time, if there is one thing about an episode that bugs you the most (either because it affects you personally or because it's the biggest flaw in the episode), please click on the option and explain in a post. If it's none of the above, click "other" and explain why.

Season 1:

Season 2:

Season 4:

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I was actually really excited for an Equestria Games episode ever since they brought it back up in S4, but I was sorely dissapointed when the actual episode aired. I mean an episode actually focusing on the Games could actually be a good idea.

What was the point of building up to it if all's they did was show about 2 events. But no instead it had to be about Spike. 

(edited)

I could say that Spike's Cloudsdale National Anthem singing was a very big flaw for me, but I'm going with the episode focusing on Spike instead of the Equestria Games, even though I like Spike and the episode putting its focus on him but the episode should have at least focused on more events that the games had to offer.

Edited by Scootalove

The biggest flaw was that the actual Equestria Games didn't have enough screen time.

I guess I'll go with the Equestria Games being a pointless backdrop for Spike's conflict.

(edited)

The broken reinforcement of Snowflake not being a good flier despite helping out in Hurricane Fluttershy and being accepted into the Wonderbolts Academy who pried themselves on being the best.

Fluttershy also having on and off stage fright, conveniently not being a factor during the qualifying rounds or the Games themselves when a large portion of THE WORLD was watching her.

That's still bugging me from Rainbow Falls and the issue is still present here.

Edited by TimeLordRainbowDash

I enjoyed the episode but they have built up so much hype for the Equestria Games and it only played a small part in the story.

That song. The rest of the episode was fine, but that single moment was not only the worst moment of the episode, but the entire season in general as far as I'm concerned. I knew from the second Mrs. Harshwinny "suggested" the idea that this was going to hurt. I lasted all of maybe five seconds before I had to mute my stream to avoid slamming my head repeatedly against a wall at the overload of cringe inducing embarrassment on display. Judging by the expressions on the crowds' faces, I wasn't missing anything.    

(edited)

I had to put one in for other because the buildup backlash and Spike's dumb moments were equally problematic to me for this as a single episode (though I actually found Spike singing pseudo-sarcastic lyrics and the ponies' reactions a bit funny). The biggest problem for me overall was how disjointed the whole arc was.

Face it, this whole arc had problems, the only episode from it that I would put anywhere close to good is "Flight to the Finish". "Games Ponies Play" and "Rainbow Falls" may be two of the worst episodes of the show. This whole arc should be an argument for why MLP should think twice before opening another story arc.

Edited by ~Happy Gilda (WCP)
  • Brohoof 1

I guess the fact that it's not about the games. But I thought it was a fine regardless so it's more or less forgiven