Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark Qiviut

The possible flaw/weakness that stands out most to you?  

28 users have voted

1. 1. The possible flaw/weakness that stands out most to you?

• The slow pace
    • The ReMane-ing Five shoehorned
    • Applejack's, Rarity's, and Dash's mean-spirited, unlikeable, out-of-character behaviors
    • Trixie's role and behavior
    • Snips & Snails
    • Spike nagging and not shutting up
    • The forced execution of the moral
    • The premise
    • Trixie unnecessarily losing her home
    • Other (explain in post)

(edited)

Note: For the collection of other "Pick a Flaw" episode threads, head over to the "Pick a Flaw" blog portal (which'll be updated periodically) or check the list at the bottom of the OP.

Trixie, one of the most popular characters in the fandom, debuted in this episode. This is only one of two he wrote, but it's by far his most infamous. There's a very deep divide for this episode, with a ton ranking it as one of (if not THE) worst season one episode.

Besides Sethisto's passion for Trixie, one could guess the overall execution of Boast Busters is why Trixie is so popular. She's an antagonist and was supposed to be written unsympathetically, but the contrived plot, lazy characterization, flat jokes, Snips and Snails being there, and poor pacing contribute to Trixie being likeable. Combined with undeservingly losing her home, her fanbase grew.

So, if you're familiar with these threads, you know the drill. For those who are getting involved for the first time, if there is one thing about an episode that bugs you the most (either because it affects you personally or because it's the biggest flaw in the episode), please click on the option and explain in a post. If it's none of the above, click "other" and explain why.

Today, I don't like this episode one bit because it REALLY sucks. Without a shadow of a doubt, one of the worst episodes in the show (possibly in the top seven). From top to bottom, it's heinously broken, and it chugs itself along hoping to end. This is one of the episodes where the biggest flaw is a tossup. The slow pace; antagonistic characterization of AJ, RD, and Rarity; Snips; and Snails are all equally badly written. What's worse is debatable, so I'm going with the one that affects me most: Applejack, Rarity, and Dash being out of character.

One thing about this series is sometimes the episodes can get rather mean-spirited and all but revel in it. (Applebuck Season, Owl's Well, Mare-Do-Well, Putting Your Hoof Down, Squeezy 6000, Ponyville Confidential, Rainbow Falls, Filli Vanilli, and Dragon Quest all come to mind.) They become major jackasses for no reason other than for plot convenience. Trixie is embellishing her talents because it's a stage show; that personality is more or less a part of her act. But with the antagonistic way they were written made them appear very rude and contemptuous. There was no need for them to try to show her up and continue pursuing this unlikeable component of the episode. Quite frankly, they completely deserved to be embarrassed in front of Trixie.

Season 1:

Season 2:

Season 4:

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Trixie no doubt was just a low-down humiliator. If she wanted to show her talent, she needed to do it in a more humble way. And if she were to try to outdo somepony, she didn't have to bring them down. 

I voted Trixie's role since when I first watched it, I was like "She's an arrogant jerk, why is she so popular!" And I pretty much hated her at least until Magic Duel aired then I liked her better since she was actually more than a boasting, arrogant antagonist.

Also there is the others acting like jerks and then like hypocrites by trying to make Twilight do what they didn't like happening to them.

At least Pinkie didn't so that *cough proves more why she's best pony cough*

I voted for Spike's role, since I really enjoyed this episode as a whole. His constant...ughhh..his little mustache thing was irritating, and quite frankly, he didn't shut up.

I would've given this one a perfect score had it not been for him, to be honest.

Everypony in Ponyville was out of character, and here's why:

When someone is performing for you, whether it be a magic act or a symphony, you don't just boo at them and call them out. All she did was brag about her abilities which isn't that uncommon for a traveling magician. But the ponies were all united in the fact that they didn't like Trixie's presence and wanted her gone. I just can't see how her show has the entire town as an audience, and not one pony was impressed or enjoyed her act (Besides Snips and Snails). It just didn't make sense to me. If you rewatch the episode and study the crowd's reactions, you'll see my point.

(edited)

Trixie sucks, she just came off as random bitch no. 2(and not as interesting as Gilda imo). Why she is so popular, I will ever know(then again I can never understand most of the popular characters in the show)

Also Twilight was being too modest for her own good, but that's really a minor nit pick

Edited by Megas75

Ugh, this is the one episode I hate. I'm sorry, but I have to say every aspect of the episode is flawed to me. There are episodes I don't care for, too, but this is the one episode that's really hard to get through.

I'll take Mare-do-well, Spike at your service, Stare master, Owl's well that end's well, or any of the other panned episodes over this any day.

(edited)

Others.

There isn't something in particular I don't like in this episode, I like Trixie, and the part of each characters.

Strange because I like this episode but not that much. I can't say precisely what I don't like in it... :/ Maybe how it's written, or/and the slow pace.

Edited by Blobulle

one of the worst episodes in the show for me 

I'd say the Bastardisation of the Aj, Rarity and Rainbow Dash was one of them. Why attack Trixie for a boastful performance isn't that what magicians do. a modest magician isn't exactly interesting. They also decide to teach trixie a lesson by showing off their abilities and boast. 

Spike has the annoying " My dad will beat your dad" attitude and Twilight is being annoyingly worried especially considering how the others seem to want someone to show up trixie. 

Just Ahhhhh the one episode that got me angry watching it. If i watch this episode first i seriously doubt if I would ever watch this show again

• 2 weeks later...

Easily my least favorite episode of all time.

There are honestly only 3 episodes I truly hate from the whole show, but this is one of those 3 episode. It's completely ludicrous, and why? First of all, I don't like Trixie. I may like Gilda, but I can't stand Trixie. I would've liked her if she didn't constantly use third person, and the next time I hear "Great and Powerful" I'm going to punch my monitor in the face. But that's not it, they make half the Mane 6 look like bigheaded idiots. I mean, Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow Dash (well, maybe not her) should know that a show is NOT boasting. In that case, with all my Youtube videos on both my accounts (Bandicoot Brony/thomasfan69, Gamer Brony/GamerTTTEBrony), I must be one of the biggest boasters on the Internet. Making them act like idiots makes me feel rather.. ashamed. Also, I feel like Trixie, even if she was just putting on a show, was treating Rarity and Rainbow Dash way too harshly. But nonetheless, it's not just the worst episode of Season 1, but IMO, the worst episode of the entire series. I can't even watch this one without cringing.

Like Sonic Rainboom, it has characters that I love acting like jerks, which makes me feel rather.. bad about myself.

Plus, I don't like Trixie. Now, I WOULD like her if it weren't for..

"I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE"

"GREAT AND POWERFUL LOL"

..yeah..

I've outlined my reasons to loathe this episode elsewhere, but I'll repeat what I consider the worst thing about this episode here:

The supposed villain is near blameless for any issue in the episode, instead the main characters are moreso- and jerks, the side characters end up causing the biggest issue.

So, this should logically mean the episode should end up with the protagonists realizing they were acting badly, right?

Nope, let's give the (not really)villain one of the nastiest comeuppances(having her home and job equipment destroyed) in the show for daring to do her job. Have the jerkish characters seem to have been in the right all along, and those side characters almost destroying the entire town? Rewarded for the bad behaviour.

This is a staggeringly bad episode- and it's saddening to see one of the best PPG writers(Chris Savino) so completely fail at a craft he clearly knows.

May this show never again reach this level of bad.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

The slow pace was the flaw for me. I felt that the first half dragged on and nothing big seemed to happen until the Ursa Minor came into the picture.

Edited by shocker1991

I'm not a fan of this episode at all as I'm not particularly keen on braggarts. (Sorry Trixie fans)