Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pick a Flaw - S4E14 Filli Vanilli

Doctor XFizzle

79 users have voted

1. 1. What is your TOP complaint/dislike from today's episode?

• Fluttershy focus
    • Rarity secondary focus
    • Pinkie Pie's behavior
    • Lack of focus for remaining Mane Six
    • Journal entry/moral
    • The music/songs
    • Lack of lockbox key reveal
    • Other (explain)

S4E13 - Simple Ways: Trenderhoof (18 votes)

If you had just ONE top reason as to why you disliked the episode or thought was a flaw of the episode, which was it?

I voted for Pinkie's behavior. It got kinda annoying at times.

• Brohoof 1

Two words: Pinkie. Pie. She deserved way more than a single whack on the nose by a rolled up newspaper. Also, technically Big mac losing his voice was kinda her fault since she won the turkey calling contest.

• Brohoof 4

Pinkie Pie, though I don't exactly see it as a flaw.

Also... I wasn't surprised there was no key. It's kind of obvious what her key episode is.

Every key episode so far has featured the relevant Mane Six member's name in the title: "Rarity Takes Manehatten", "Rainbow Falls", "Pinkie Pride". You should never have expected the episode to have a key appearing. The next one will be in "Twilight Time", I stake my reputation (or as near as I can manage) on it.

• Brohoof 3

... I think it goes without saying that Pinkie's portrayal was the worst thing about this episode.

I mean, again, not as bad as it was in Three's a Crowd, but, again, that's hardly saying much. They put so little effort into giving her a more fitting role in the episode and instead made her a HUGE inconvenience, when an inconvenience wasn't even needed to begin with. Fluttershy was already terrified of singing in front of other ponies on-stage... why make it worse?

Seriously, just because she isn't the primary focus is no excuse to treat her character like this. She's a smart pony, and doesn't deserve this at all.

• Brohoof 3

While I did find Pinkie Pie funny at some points in the episode, I can agree she was a little rude too. Her saying the things that she did towards Fluttershy didn't help Fluttershy feel any better about performing or wanting to. Eh well, hopefully Pinkie Pie will be less well crazy in the next episode.

• Brohoof 1

At first, I thought this episode would get a lot of "meh" reviews being Fluttershy centric and knowing this forum has quite a few Fluttershy critics.  Instead, it was pretty well received. :)  I'll add to my original thoughts in the main discussion thread later. 

But for now, I concur that Pinkie Pie's behavior is the biggest gripe with Filli Manilli. We're well aware of Pinkie's standard character flaws.  She's easily distracted (unless she's making a effort not to be of course), is often slow to pick up on others' feelings, and suffers from a terrible case of hoof in mouth disease.  But none of her usual shortcomings explain or excuse her poor approach with Fluttershy.  Pinkie knows better than most ponies that you can't be all in her face like that.  She's the one who told Rainbow Dash not to pull a practical joke in Griffon the Brush Off.  And as the most social pony in Ponyville, she knows she has to tailor her approach with different ponies. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 6

Pinkie Pie. Where do I even start, she is best pony to me at least, but in this episode they made her nothing but an inconvenience who always makes things worse with everything they say. Also, I was a little disgruntled that Fluttershy didn't get over her fears. Hopefully, there will be another episode on this.

I picked Pinkie's behavior, but I don't think she was out of character here. 

Let me explain, Pinkie has been shown to be naive and she has shown tha she wants to make others laugh. In this episode the traits are counteracting one another with horrible results. She wants to make Fluttershy laugh or show her praise, but she doesn't understand what sets off her fear (probably because Pinkie displays the opposite fear in 'Pinkie Pride'). You could tell that it was all unintentional with the line "Didn't I say that [Fluttershy was great]?" Pinkie was naive, but she wasn't stupid, mean, or even OoC this episode in my opinion. Still, I don't think it was necessary to portray her flaw in this episode either, so yea.

Overall, I actually loved it. I wasn't expecting Flutterguy to return or Big Mac to finally be in the spotlight, and despite Pinkie's lack of a filter there was no major flaw that made me dislike the episode in any way.

Edited by DryColt84

* The other five idiotically acting like they've never heard Fluttershy sing.

* Plot convenience of Rarity and Big Mac in a singing group

* Predictability of the episode

* Status quo reset button at the end

Pinkie Pie's behavior was the least of my problems with this episode. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, time to point out a flaw that everyone has talked about.

• Pinkie Pie's behavior in this episode reminded me of her behavior in Three's a Crowd,  to the point where she was inconvenient or where she was not needed.
  • The other five acting surprised that Fluttershy was singing.

That's about it, sorry Pinkie fans.

• Brohoof 3

At first, I thought this episode would get a lot of "meh" reviews being Fluttershy centric and knowing this forum has quite a few Fluttershy critics.  Instead, it was pretty well received. :)  I'll add to my original thoughts in the main discussion thread later. 

But for now, I concur that Pinkie Pie's behavior is the biggest gripe with Filli Manilli. We're well aware of Pinkie's standard character flaws.  She's easily distracted (unless she's making a effort not to be of course), is often slow to pick up on others' feelings, and suffers from a terrible case of hoof in mouth disease.  But none of her usual shortcomings explain or excuse her poor approach with Fluttershy.  Pinkie knows better than most ponies that you can't be all in her face like that.  She's the one who told Rainbow Dash not to pull a practical joke in Griffon the Brush Off.  And as the most social pony in Ponyville, she knows she has to tailor her approach with different ponies. 

I don't think that was the same thing. Pinkie probably learned Fluttershy wasn't ok to prank after she already pranked her herself, but it honestly could be seen as an oversight. 

As much as I adore Pinkie Pie, her behavior in this episode was clearly uncalled for. Does she not know how emotionally fragile Fluttershy is? I expected Pinkie Pie to at least have been a little more considerate for Fluttershy's personal feelings. Needless to say, she wasn't. *sighs* Pinkie Pie, why did you have to be so mean? :(

• Brohoof 5

* The other five idiotically acting like they've never heard Fluttershy sing.

* Plot convenience of Rarity and Big Mac in a singing group

* Predictability of the episode

* Status quo reset button at the end

Pinkie Pie's behavior was the least of my problems with this episode. 

1. Yea, that's a bit odd.

2. Is that not in the realm of possibility?

3. I guarantee you couldn't predict Flutterguy's return, and the ending of almost every MLP episode can be predicted by at least the 10 minute mark.

4. What reset button? Fluttershy still having Stage Fright? People rarely get over her fears in one sitting "...baby steps everypony."

3. I guarantee you couldn't predict Flutterguy's return,

Yeah, I did. During the first commercial break when Big Mac lost his voice.

4. What reset button? Fluttershy still having Stage Fright? People rarely get over her fears in one sitting "...baby steps everypony."

That's not good enough for me. She's still afraid to sing in front of a crowd. The best she'd done by episode's end was perform in front of her friends and a couple of animals. I would've liked to see some sort of determination. "Baby steps" seems like a pretty lame excuse to me.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't mind Pinkie's behavior much.

My biggest concern was that one line uttered by Twilight et. al. before Fluttershy/guy started singing made it seem like that they knew Fluttershy was in on it, although they were surprised when they found out.

It was an ambiguous enough line and hardly a serious complaint of mine.

It was actually hard to find a serious flaw in this episode.

Now, I KNOW I'm not the only one who noticed this but, Pinkie Pie's damn rant! It just seemed out of character for her. She was the cheerful, happy, spontaneous one. But, she . . . was a little . . . dare I say it? Dark. She was oddly dark for her general nature . . . of happiness and spontaneous actions. 

• Brohoof 1