Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pick a Flaw - S4E17 Somepony to Watch Over Me

Doctor XFizzle

48 users have voted

1. 1. What is your TOP complaint/dislike from today's episode?

• Apple Bloom focus
    • Applejack secondary focus
    • Lack of other mane six
    • Applejack's overprotection
    • Chimera introduction
    • Fight scene
    • Lack of journal entry
    • Other (explain)

S4E13 - Simple Ways: Trenderhoof (18 votes)

S4E14 - Filli Vanilli: Pinkie Pie's Behavior (54 votes)

S4E15 - Twilight Time: Other (13 votes)

S4E16 - It Ain't Easy Being Breezies: Mane Six breezification (26 votes)

If you had just ONE top reason as to why you disliked the episode or thought was a flaw of the episode, which was it?

NOTE: This topic doesn't mean we hate the episode or the show, it's merely a point of discussion to talk about the episode in a different way. 

Applejack's overprotection was a bit much, but it was kinda funny in a way. I lost it at the double helmet. The fight scene was kinda nightmare fuel-ish for a younger viewer and kinda seemed a bit beyond the atmosphere and environment of a usual MLP episode so I picked that.

• Brohoof 1

I think I might pick the fact that Scootaloo ruined it. She didn't need to shout it out, but how else is AJ supposed to find out Apple Bloom is missing? Well, she coulda just looked over at Sweetie Belle.

If Applejack and Applebloom's parents were even mentioned only,that will be the perfect episode.

Although i didn't liked Applejack's overprotection,it has a base:She don't want Applebloom to get harmed of nothing

And what if Applejack saw her parent's death,and on that moment felt useless,and tried to not make the same error with Applebloom?

It's only a theory,so don't take it too seriously :/

• Brohoof 4

Hate to say this, but I couldn't really find a flaw in this episode, I loved everything about it, though I can see why some may have not enjoyed it or found it not to be the best episode. I liked it though, especially loved the interactions between AJ and Applebloom.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

It was amazing episode, I can't pick any flaw :) Maybe Applejack's behaviour was a little too over-he-top, but it was still funny, so I can't say that it was a bad thing. As an older sister I can relate to this, it had very good lesson and portrayed AJ's relationship with Apple Bloom very well. 

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 4

Normally, a lack of Rarity is my #1 flaw, since I watch the show for fun, and, of course, Rarity makes it so much fun :wub:

However, I will say that after thinking over it, she has no real place in this episode past the mention she got by AJ. ("Rarity is own her way over here to watch over y'all.") So, it doesn't bother me, although it certainly doesn't help the episode in my eyes :D

My biggest problem was AJ's overprotection. The helmet thing was sorta funny, but everything else she did sorta irritated me, which, of course, AJ is second to only Rarity when it comes to ponies :D It's hard for her to irritate me. Rarity is my waifu, but AJ is my friend :D

Her over-protectiveness was sort of overdrawn, is what I'm trying to say, I guess :D

• Brohoof 1

Normally, a lack of Rarity is my #1 flaw, since I watch the show for fun, and, of course, Rarity makes it so much fun :wub:

However, I will say that after thinking over it, she has no real place in this episode past the mention she got by AJ. ("Rarity is own her way over here to watch over y'all.") So, it doesn't bother me, although it certainly doesn't help the episode in my eyes :D

My biggest problem was AJ's overprotection. The helmet thing was sorta funny, but everything else she did sorta irritated me, which, of course, AJ is second to only Rarity when it comes to ponies :D It's hard for her to irritate me. Rarity is my waifu, but AJ is my friend :D

Her over-protectiveness was sort of overdrawn, is what I'm trying to say, I guess :D

But that was the point wasn't it? To be irritated by AJ's overprotection? 

Anyway I don't know what I would choose, to me it wasn't boring in the slightest (unlike last week's in which I understand the boredom claims), and I found a lot of the jokes to be funny ("No time for a song!", "Scootaloo?" "Um, no...", AJ's overprotective antics, sleeping with sass, etc.). So I can't really think of a major flaw, they all just amount to nitpicks. Overall a great start for a new writer imo. 

If Applejack and Applebloom's parents were even mentioned only,that will be the perfect episode.

Although i didn't liked Applejack's overprotection,it has a base:She don't want Applebloom to get harmed of nothing

And what if Applejack saw her parent's death,and on that moment felt useless,and tried to not make the same error with Applebloom?

It's only a theory,so don't take it too seriously :/

That would make the episode top my "Best Episodes of the Series" list, but I think what we got was pretty great too.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I thought the part where Applejack told Big Mac about forgetting to Tell Applebloom that to open a drawer she has to open it was over the top and breached a line of stupidity. I also got annoyed at the chimera's delays and hesitations. The whole scene felt way too long and forced to take the threat seriously (even for a kid). I kept thinking we were going to discover that the chimera didn't really want to eat her and was just trying to scare her to teach her lesson, because it certainly didn't try hard enough to do otherwise. 

But the rest was great! Loved the part with Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell pretending to sleep and, aside from the whole scene, I did like the chimera. Nice design, interesting character. I just expected ether more or less from it.

Edited by Solar-Wind
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I felt that AppleJacks over protection of Applebloom was a big flaw in my eyes, AppleJack has never displayed this ''pathological fear'' that Applebloom would get hurt before as we have seen Applebloom do much more dangerous stunts in the past just to get a cutie mark that AppleJack turned a blind eye to as well as the fact that we have seen Applebloom working on the farm many times without the need of any form of protection. It just felt really out of place for AppleJack to be this worked up over then notion that Applebloom would get hurt doing the things she constantly does on a daily basis.

Edited by LordDiscord

This episode confused me...

The premise itself was simple enough, relatable, and in-character for both Applejack given the strong value the Apple's place on family as well as Applebloom wanting to be treated more maturely.

But, it confused me that Applejack decided that it was okay to be less protective of Applebloom after she was nearly shredded apart by the chimera, when it seemed to me that would have made her even MORE overprotective and paranoid that her sister would do something else insanely dangerous and get hurt if she ever took her eyes off her again.

At least, that's the impression I got with her Twilight Sparkle levels of anxiety over Applebloom's safety.

Upon rewatching the episode I actually think that the main flaw in this episode wasn't AJ's characterization it was how the morals were handled. AJ seems to flip-flop learning her lesson several times after the "sleeping with sass" scene, AB's punishment was kind-of hand waved, and all of the dialogue in regards to their lessons felt awkward. I think that was a really poor way to set it up, and I can't the reasoning for the Chimera parallel other than a throwaway joke. This episode shrunk on me a bit, but AJ's antics were a non-factor.

I'll choose "Other."

Edited by DryColt84

I wouldn't say that AJ being overprotective with Apple Bloom was a problem, but I'd say that the humor was a bit awkward in this episode. Other than that, a solid episode.

My biggest gripe was in how Applebloom got punished for taking responsibility in picking up Applejacks slack of the apple cart delivery.

Sure, she didn't know the dangers but of Applejack hadn't pulled this crap in the first place and did HER job, none of this would have happened (and would have made a boring episode) (but that's not the point)

Point is , is that no one calls AJ out on this.

APPLEJACK... DO YOUR JOB!!!

(and on a side note... you applejack fans need to stop gripeing about AJ not having any episodes... she's been in more epps this season then all the others thus far)

Applejacks Overprotectiveness was played up way too much imo. I felt that they could have toned it down, and the episode still would have gotten its message across. Yes the gags were pretty funny, but it went on far too long. When AJ kept checking in on "AB" in her bedroom, I just wanted the show to move on already. We get it, AJ is overprotective. No need to hammer it in any longer, move on with the story writers!!!

Another interesting issue that was brought up by mlp analyst joshscorcher was the fact Applejack got out of the episode scotch free without any repercussions to her actions. She was the main reason why there was a conflict to begin with (the conflict of the episode occurred due to a miscommunication between AB and AJ). I think there should have been some form of punishment for AJ since like AB said in the ep. "But I'm fine! And actually... this was kind of your fault."

Applejack's over protectiveness, while perhaps a bit overblown, was so absurd that I could not help but laugh at it. I didn't find her OOC in the sense that the writing was bad, but I think she was OOC in the sense that this behavior is pretty atypical for her, which goes to show just how carried away she got. I felt the episode reinforced what a complex and multifaceted character AJ is. But for a pony who cuddles and reads bed time stories to apple trees, her excessive fondling of Apple Bloom is really not all that surprising. Applejack has always been very motherly towards Apple Bloom, and she simply has a hard time letting go of the fact that Apple Bloom might not need her watching over all of the time.

The story has its issues and could've been written more gracefully, but I enjoyed every second of it (okay except for that comment about the spoon in the drawer x_x). I maybe would've liked a subtle allusion to AJ and AB's parents, but we can save that for another time. :P

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 4