Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pick a Flaw - S4E20 Leap of Faith

Doctor XFizzle

48 users have voted

1. 1. What is your TOP complaint/dislike from today's episode?

• Apple Family focus
    • Flim Flam Brothers
    • Lack of other Mane 6
    • Tonic song
    • Journal entry/moral
    • Applejack's key
    • Episode pace/boring
    • Other (explain)

S4E13 - Simple Ways: Trenderhoof (18 votes)

S4E14 - Filli Vanilli: Pinkie Pie's Behavior (54 votes)

S4E15 - Twilight Time: Other (13 votes)

S4E16 - It Ain't Easy Being Breezies: Mane Six breezification (26 votes)

S4E17 - Somepony to Watch Over Me: Applejack's overprotection (16 votes)

S4E18 - Maud Pie: Other (21 votes)

S4E19 - For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils: Other (19 votes)

If you had just ONE top reason as to why you disliked the episode or thought was a flaw of the episode, which was it?

NOTE: This topic doesn't mean we hate the episode or the show, it's merely a point of discussion to talk about the episode in a different way. 

I don't like The Flim Flam Bros so I'm gonna be biased against those two, and the episode made me like them even less.

Apart from that I just thought it was boring, the lack of the rest of the Mane 6 didn't really help either, considering it was a key episode(though maybe it was for the best, as they felt very shoehorned in Breezies and Rainbow Falls)

Edited by Laguna Loire

I'm two for two in regard to the Flim Flam's brother's song. The first time they sang back in Super Cider Squeezy it dragged on way too long, and here there was just nothing really that spectacular or interesting about it to me. So yeah, talented singers the brothers aren't. 

Hmm, looking at the poll options...

Apple Family focus is never a bad thing for me. I would like to see an Applejack episode where she's completely isolated from her family for a change, but her kin is such a huge part of character that it'd be hard to imagine. I love all of the Apple Family characters anyway, and Apple Bloom, Granny, and Big Mac were all spectacular in this one. As for the lack of the Mane Six, it IS a bit odd considering they were all present in the previous key episodes. However, I'd rather them be absent if they can't contribute to the plot. Episodes like this one prove that Applejack is strong enough to stand on her own without the other five, much like Apple Family Reunion, which had a similar vibe.

I was never the biggest fan of the Flim Flam Brothers, but they really weren't overplayed here like they were in SSCS6K. The Tonic song was pretty good at best, but I would say I enjoyed it more than the first Flim Flam song. I dunno, the Flim Flam songs just aren't my thing. :P

I loved the journal entry/moral AJ learned here. She went out of her way to avoid the truth in order to keep Granny Smith happy, once again proving just how selfless she is, before eventually copping to the truth. Applejack FINALLY has an episode dedicated to her honesty, and I think it was played out very well. I felt the episode was well-paced too. I didn't find it "boring" per se, but it was definitely lighter on humor compared to Haber's other episodes. That said, I typically like episodes that are more tame in the comedy department anyway, and I was engaged strictly by the well done plot and Applejack's always-endearing character. So no complaints there either.

Applejack's key being a coin is a bit disappointing only for the fact that it really has no sentimental value to AJ like the other keys may have had to their respective ponies. That, combined with the fact that Shill was a rather forgettable key giver, is probably my only complaint, albeit it's a minor one. 

Overall, a great final Applejack episode to top off her stellar season. :)

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 3

Lack of Twilight, Rarity, RD, Fluttershy and Pinkie is the only complaint I have with this episode, everything else was well done, loved the song, seeing Flim and Flam and of course loved Granny Smith in this episode, she is such a badass, lol.

I chose "other" for two reasons:

1. The story is very run-of-the-mill. In each of Haber's previous episodes, they followed the letter of the concept. Castle Mane-ia is the typical spooky castle from Scooby-Doo, while Simple Ways follows the "love-triangle" story and moral of not changing who you are. Neither of them alter it enough to make it so investing. What saved Castle Mane-ia was the quality of the humor, characters (mostly *glares at Pinkie*), and graphics; but SW fails by making Trenderhoof a stereotype and Rarity an idiot. Here, each point in the "placebo effect" cliché is obvious from a mile away by the lack of subtlety.
  2. Speaking of the lack of subtlety, the Flim Flam Brothers's scam is much more obvious here. When they debuted in SSCS6K, they didn't act like concolts (hence the "flimflam" definition), but actual businessmen until a specific point in the episode. Despite its quirky locomotive contraption, the idea of making cider quicker, but with the same level of quality was definitely possible, only to be shot down by the plot's progress. Here, it's so obvious that they were playing tricks up their sleeves because the tonic concept is too good to be true, even in its fantastical world. As they chased out of Ponyville already, the only way for anyone to truly fall for their tricks this time is either simple stupidity or a creation that really does appear to benefit while keeping the scam quiet. LoF followed the former.

(At least the ending is decent, and the moral is simple but mature. But that doesn't save Leap of Faith from being the most average episode of the season.)

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

I chose "other" for two reasons:

1. The story is very run-of-the-mill. In each of Haber's previous episodes, they followed the letter of the concept. Castle Mane-ia is the typical spooky castle from Scooby-Doo, while Simple Ways follows the "love-triangle" story and moral of not changing who you are. Neither of them alter it enough to make it so investing. What saved Castle Mane-ia was the quality of the humor, characters (mostly *glares at Pinkie*), and graphics; but SW fails by making Trenderhoof a stereotype and Rarity an idiot. Here, each point in the "placebo effect" cliché is obvious from a mile away by the lack of subtlety.
  2. Speaking of the lack of subtlety, the Flim Flam Brothers's scam is much more obvious here. When they debuted in SSCS6K, they didn't act like concolts (hence the "flimflam" definition), but actual businessmen until a specific point in the episode. Despite its quirky locomotive contraption, the idea of making cider quicker, but with the same level of quality was definitely possible, only to be shot down by the plot's progress. Here, it's so obvious that they were playing tricks up their sleeves because the tonic concept is too good to be true, even in its fantastical world. As they chased out of Ponyville already, the only way for anyone to truly fall for their tricks this time is either simple stupidity or a creation that really does appear to benefit while keeping the scam quiet. LoF followed the former.

(At least the ending is decent, and the moral is simple but mature. But that doesn't save Leap of Faith from being the most average episode of the season.)

Yea, I'll admit it was predictable. I thought the subtlety was on an acceptable level throughout the episode. I mean sure, it wasn't deep or anything, but it didn't hammer things in continually (which is where I find subtlety to become an issue, I'm looking at you Power Ponies). 

Edited by DryColt84

I was hoping to see the brothers at the Equestria Games or something.

Maybe compete against the Apple family.

Some would say that the episode was boring, the lack of the rest of the Mane 6, and that they don't like Flim and Flam.

But the only flaw I saw in this episode, was Applejack's key. I'm glad that she earned her key and that money is an important thing, but money isn't what matters to Applejack. Her family and friends are the closest thing to her.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know why, but something about Apple Bloom just felt... off. I can't place what it was, but she just didn't seem right. That's really my biggest complaint though, so all-in-all not a bad episode.

"Apple Family Focus" makes it sound like I hated the episode for being about Applejack.  :lol:

Nah, I disliked it for both the boring predictability mentioned by Qiviut, and also because I saw AJ as very poorly characterized here. To wit with my immediate and somewhat over-the-top reaction after seeing it:

I consider this episode nearly on par with Rainbow Falls, only saved by Act 1 being average rather than terrible and also this

img-2463166-1-tumblr_n37yitqySF1t4fj2vo1
And somehow AJ's not winning contests for cutest pony.

In act 1, my main problem was that AJ was slower on the uptake than she should've been. But that pales in comparison to what happens when she first confronts the Flim Flam brothers. In short? She was 100% OUT OF CHARACTER.

And I'm definitely not the sort of person who says "My favorite character doing the wrong thing = OOC". Applejack's real flaws are part of what make her so awesome. I loved Somepony to Watch Over Me because despite AJ being the antagonist of the episode and being ludicrous in her treatment of AB, I believed the bad choices she made because I believed that AJ could get herself worked up with how dangerous the delivery was and her heavy sense of responsibility to her family.

I do not believe Applejack knowing that a placebo could seriously hurt her grandmother and then deciding to do zilch about it in order to "not hurt her feelings"

I could buy this from Fluttershy with no problem. In fact, it'd work pretty dang well as a Fluttershy plot.

I could buy this from Spike. Much like Fluttershy, he'd be a great fit for the episode.

I could buy this from Pinkie Pie. 

I could buy this from Twilight Sparkle. 

I could buy this even, just a little, from Rarity and Rainbow Dash.

Somepony's missing from that list.

Applejack is always concerned for her family's well being. It's a huge character trait and the focus of multiple episodes. She would never willingly put them in danger for any reason, especially not one founded on lies. 

This? In terms of character derailment, it actually does one over Rainbow Falls, at least when it comes to its lead. Because while Rainbow Falls undid character development, this one actually makes Applejack the antithesis of what makes her my favorite pony.

That's unforgivable.

img-2463166-2-1804120359113092686123057.

Real, in character Applejack agrees.

[i picked "other"]

Edited by Stellafera

The whole fact that applejack's key is MONEY.

SERIOUSLY.

It's the inner meaning behind the money that matters though. It's symbolism for how she helped (insert name here) see the truth and regret his actions.

• Brohoof 1