Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pick a Flaw - S4E13 Simple Ways

Doctor XFizzle

49 users have voted

1. 1. What is your TOP complaint/dislike from today's episode?

• Rarity focus
    • Applejack focus
    • Romance elements/love triangle
    • Trenderhoof
    • Personality role reversal
    • Spike neglect
    • Journal Entry/moral
    • Other (explain)

Although it's halfway through the season, this is something I'd like to try for the remaining episodes. Immediately after it airs, make a poll to try and capture the top reason why an episode isn't liked as much or what detracted from the episode the most.

So we'll start with today's Simple Ways.

If you had just ONE top reason as to why you disliked the episode or thought was a flaw of the episode, which was it?

Edited by Doctor XFizzle

I can't say for sure what about the episode prevented it from really grabbing me. I laughed a lot and there wasn't anything I immediately disliked. I think there was a lack of 'real' conflict. AJ and Rarity's back and forward towards the end of the episode was entertaining but it didn't really do anything, for me at least. Personally I felt like it was intended to be funny and not so much worry about developing a situation for AJ and Rarity to grow from. Like I said in the episode discussion thread I thought the moral of the story was one of (if not the best) of the season, maybe even the series. Which for me was "Don't lose yourself to find someone else". Or if there is any Kill la Kill fans on here

Don't lose your way!

Edited by Bucky McGillyCuddy
  • Brohoof 3

Worst part about this episode was Rarity trying to be country. Applejack was fine (and pretty!) when she was trying to be all fancy and high society, and no offense to Tabitha but it was downright painful watching Rarity try to put on such a thick accent.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, out of all the foils/antagonists we have seen come and go. This guy (Trenderhoof) is thee WORST.

When you got the BALLS to flat out point at Derpy and in a nice way say "there is something wrong with you" iN PUBLIC! .....OH COME ON!!

More over, I being a loyal drewling member to Queen Rarity and her Fabulous perfection, I can only imagine when this guys antics become more well known the backlash from her fanbase that will happen.

This guy needs to be strung up and dragged behind a cart for a few dozen..hundred..miles.

• Brohoof 1

Other for two reasons:

1. The very rushed resolution of the moral.
  2. Rarity and Trenderhoof were too equally stupid for their own good.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

Trenderhoof sucked.

Rarity you need a better taste in men, hell there's a perfectly great guy you hang out with all the time

• Brohoof 3

Not enough Pinkie Pie but besides that it was perfect!!! :lol:

I couldn't think of a complaint, so I wasn't going to vote.  But that is a good one.  I picked "other," and my complaint is not enough Pinkie Pie.

• Brohoof 1

I hated the whole romance thing. Not because it was there but because of how it was done. In the episode they made Rarity into a Belieber type fangirl. Trenderhoof himself is... How do I say this... Uninteresting as hell. His AJphilia turned him to a complete blabbering idiot and even when he wasn't he was still uninteresting just like every guy in this show who even falls in love with a mare. This guy is beyond redemption though and is probably going to be forgotten soon and if not, will linger in our nightmares.

hell there's a perfectly great guy you hang out with all the time

Just what I was thinking too, don't give up Spike, there's hope for you yet :)

• Brohoof 4

Honestly, out of all the foils/antagonists we have seen come and go. This guy (Trenderhoof) is thee WORST.

When you got the BALLS to flat out point at Derpy and in a nice way say "there is something wrong with you" iN PUBLIC! .....OH COME ON!!

More over, I being a loyal drewling member to Queen Rarity and her Fabulous perfection, I can only imagine when this guys antics become more well known the backlash from her fanbase that will happen.

This guy needs to be strung up and dragged behind a cart for a few dozen..hundred..miles.

He said unappreciated when he pointed to Derpy, not "simple" or "mundane" which could be seen as insults. I think Trend is the weakest part of the episode, because well.....he has absolutely no personality to speak of. I found him harmless though.

Trenderhoof.

He did nothing to make me actively dislike him, but I don't like his voice, I don't like his design, and he's just not that entertaining or interesting.

If they had made him more enjoyable, I could get more behind the idea of Rarity going to such lengths for his attention.

I could believe her being far more nutty for someone like Fancy Pants (who is a CLASS ACT and I love him), but Trend just didn't have much of a presence to him.

• Brohoof 3

Note: I haven't seen this episode yet, but I have read the transcript and summary.

I didn't like the Spike neglect at all. You'd think there'd be more...

Also, I was hoping Trenderhoof would be better-looking. I mean, come on! He's so not as handsome as I imagined. I was thinking he'd come on-screen, and I'd say, "Well, he's good looking... *seductive smile*". But noooo, he's much less than I expected. In my opinion, Prince Blueblood looked better!

...what? Am I getting off topic? *clears throat* My apologies.

Yes, the Spike neglect is the only part I didn't like.

It failed to make itself interesting and instead aimed for the easiest laughs possible. Overall, there's something that just feels...off. My guess is that AJ was better at being Rarity than vice versia.  Are they implying that Rarity's personality and lifestyle is just much more shallow than everyone else and easier to copy?

Edited by CITRUS KING46

Are they implying that Rarity's personality and lifestyle is just much more shallow than everyone else and easier to copy?

Well Applejack HAS had to try adapting to high society before during her life (Cutie Mark Chronicles).

Rarity hasn't given AJ's lifestyle a try yet.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

Well Applejack HAS had to try adapting to high society before during her life (Cutie Mark Chronicles).

Of course, but it still felt too easy for AJ to slip into that role while Rarity got covered in pig muck for her efforts.

Of course, but it still felt too easy for AJ to slip into that role while Rarity got covered in pig muck for her efforts.

Not sure what your point about the pig muck is. Rarity did that to herself. Applejack was having fun during her whole little role reversal since she was teaching Rarity a lesson and she had nothing to lose. Rarity on the other was getting more desperate and frazzled because this was her last ditch effort to get Trend's attention and she didn't want to let that last thread of hope slip through her hooves. So she kinda took a trip off the deep end and into some mud for no reason.

Trenderhoof's special talent must be to be uninteresting and bland.

Well his cutie mark IS uninteresting and bland.

Seriously, THE most obscure cutie mark I've ever seen.

Not sure what your point about the pig muck is. Rarity did that to herself. Applejack was having fun during her whole little role reversal since she was teaching Rarity a lesson and she had nothing to lose. Rarity on the other was getting more desperate and frazzled because this was her last ditch effort to get Trend's attention and she didn't want to let that last thread of hope slip through her hooves. So she kinda took a trip off the deep end and into some mud for no reason.

Well his cutie mark IS uninteresting and bland.

Seriously, THE most obscure cutie mark I've ever seen.

It's hard to put into words, but it felt...off.