Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pick a Flaw - S4E21 Testing, Testing 1...2...3

Doctor XFizzle

35 users have voted

1. 1. What is your TOP complaint/dislike from today's episode?

• Rainbow Dash focus
    • Mane Six secondary focus
    • study method gags
    • portrayal of Rainbow's intelligence
    • Journal entry/moral
    • episode pacing/boring
    • Other (explain)

S4E13 - Simple Ways: Trenderhoof (18 votes)

S4E14 - Filli Vanilli: Pinkie Pie's Behavior (54 votes)

S4E15 - Twilight Time: Other (13 votes)

S4E16 - It Ain't Easy Being Breezies: Mane Six breezification (26 votes)

S4E17 - Somepony to Watch Over Me: Applejack's overprotection (16 votes)

S4E18 - Maud Pie: Other (21 votes)

S4E19 - For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils: Other (19 votes)

S4E20 - Leap of Faith: Applejack's key (13 votes)

If you had just ONE top reason as to why you disliked the episode or thought was a flaw of the episode, which was it?

NOTE: This topic doesn't mean we hate the episode or the show, it's merely a point of discussion to talk about the episode in a different way. 

(edited)

I can only think of one detraction from the episode: Pinkie's rap. Maybe it's because I don't like rap save for a very small number of exceptions, but it started to get grating after a bit. The 90's music video was nice touch though.

Edited by PoisonClaw

(edited)

The episode didn't call out procrastination at all.  Rainbow wouldn't have been in that pickle in the first place if she hadn't procrastinated in her studying.  I don't mind the message that different learning and study methods work for each individual, but the fact that she got 100% when she really started studying with less than 12 hours left rubbed me the wrong way, sent the wrong message to younger viewers, and insulted students who put in hard work 24/7.

Other than that, the episode was amazing.  I'm a history major myself, so the emphasis on history and the few times its importance was even explicitly described by ponies such as Twilight were highlights of the episode for me.  :muffins:

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 2

Other than maybe the fight between rainbow dash and twilight not turning into a mud wrestling match, I can't really find any glaring flaws with the episode. It highlighted that everyone has a different way to learn, and even though those ways are different, they are not better or worse than the others. 

I'm not entirely sure how Fluttershy thought an entirely non-verbal presentation was going to help when the required material was a list of names.

I felt that Twilight's aggressiveness in getting RD to study was a bit out of character at this point in the series, and that the first part of the episode seemed a bit rough dialogue-wise.  Fortunately it became stellar enough in the end to balance it out.

Also, having all of the Mane 6 know something about Wonderbolt history seemed to come out of the blue, but at least it made a bit of sense in Rarity's case, AJ was honestly portrayed as not knowing a thing!

• Brohoof 1

Needed Derpy at the end. A great place for a one-liner from her to break us back into her new voice. (And I'm not even  a rabid Derpy fan either. :) ) Otherwise the episode was perfect.

I can't find any flaws personally, although Twilight thinking she could be a Wonderbolt was a little arrogant, other than that, no issues.

I don't think she really thought that, she was just trying to wind Rainbow up in her bout of frustration.

For me it was quite boring at the beginning.

I agree. Really liked the episode, but the beginning exchanges between Dash and Twilight kind of dragged on a little. They might've been necessary to set up for later things and show that they were going to need to think outside the box for this situation, but if I need to point to something as a flaw, it'd be that.

I just quote myself on that:

Well, this episode may be fun and all, but am I only one who has problem with the moral?

Like, if you can't learn anything it's not beacuse you don't even try, no! It's because you are special! So we must sing and dance around you until we find the way for you to learn without straining even one of your preciously rare braincells.

Is that what you want for your children?

and

The moral that was pronaunced was also illustrated by a particular case. It's Rainbow Dash we talk here about. The pony who, as we know, always rejected reading not because it was uninteresting or "not her way to learn" but because it was "not cool" and "eggheads only". And it hasn't wondered me that in this episode she was totally disrespectful towards her friend who tried to help her just because that friend took over the role of a teacher. Neither was it a surprise that RD tried to dismiss the importance of the stuff she didn't want to learn. It's very well known pattern of behavior. Children with such pattern aren't unique by any means. In some classes they build agressively overwhelming majority. And this episode practically excuses such behaviour.

I can't find any flaws personally, although Twilight thinking she could be a Wonderbolt was a little arrogant, other than that, no issues.

Pft!  What do you know about being a Wonderbolt?

Twilight_Sparkle_the_Wonderbolt.png

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

There was no Soarin' in the episode.

img-2487958-1-tumblr_mt60h3QFdN1si1d2bo1

you got that right! poor soar, he needs to be more in the show and when I say that I really mean only when Rainbow has her own episodes!

Edited by Hyperhooves
  • Brohoof 2

Pft!  What do you know about being a Wonderbolt?

img-2489599-1-Twilight_Sparkle_the_Wonde

I was joking, Twilight being a Wonderbolt would be interesting to see and in response to DryColt84, oh I thought Twilight was doing that to show off, eh I guess I missed that frustration poke.

• Brohoof 1

You know, she almost won the Running of the Leaves race using the knowledge from books. So who knows if she also would have a chance to be accepted to the Wonderbolts academy. :P

If I had to pick out a flaw, it would be Rainbow Dash and Twilight arguing in the beginning. Knowing about the Wonderbolts history is important and essential, but they could have made the beginning a bit more exciting.

My primary (albeit minor) complaint with this episode is how aggressive everypony (bar Applejack) was in forcing their methods of studying on Rainbow. I mean, it's a minor one, as I said, mainly because it isn't TOO OOC, but... well, it just felt pretty mean and early-development-esque for something so late in the show's existence.

However, I'm willing to forgive it, primarily for the reason that it DID show Rainbow's inner worries and her lack of ability to hold under pressure, which I don't think is something the show shows off enough.

I won't vote in this poll this time around. I didn't find any flaws with this episode. I also think they did a good job with making Rainbow Dash have self-esteem issues about her intelligence. Celestia knows most people have had those issues before.

• Brohoof 1