Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorns?

Ayvid_Reader

So I'm new to the MLP fandom and I had some questions about Alicorns. 

Are there some that are born Alicorns? This may seem odd, but I've watched all three seasons that Netflix has of MLP: FIM and the movie but still have not been able to understand this.

Also are all Alicorns royalty? So far it seems that way, but I do realize that not all royalty are Alicorns.

I feel silly saying Alicorn because I grew up calling them Pegacorns. Maybe that's just a thing where I'm from though. Please keep in mind I've only watched the first three seasons and the movies so no spoilers if possible. I understand if you say later in season four that they explain it. Thank you!

• Brohoof 4

Well, from what I understand Celestia and Luna are the two "original" Alicorns in the MLP verse, and the other two (Twilight and Cadence) were both turned into alicorns , and Cadence was even said to be a pegasus before she become an alicorn. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

If I recall correctly Lauren Faust said during season 1, or early in season 2, that Princess Celestia & Luna were born as alicorns.  

We saw Princess Twilight become an alicorn. I assume Princess Cadance went through a similar process. It is mentioned in a book that Hasbro says is canon that Princess Cadance was originally a pegasus. 

Forgot who said it, Lauren Faust or the current show head, or a writer on the show, but they said an alicorn combines or has the magic of all 3 types of ponies, earth,  unicorn , and pegasus. 

The folks working on the show have said some background characters that look like alicorns are animation mistakes.  So as far as the end of season 3 there are only 4 alicorns, all princesses.  It does seem that alicorns are automatically royalty.  In the book it's said that when Cadance became an alicorn that Celestia adopted her as a niece.

Edited by Kulstor
  • Brohoof 1

In the middle ages, they were never addressed using a proper name, just as "winged unicorns". So they no specific name. Alicorn was coined by the show, but they can also be referred to using the portmanteau of pegasus and unicorn to make pegacorn. Which is what you were using. 

Celestia and luna are believed to have been born into the world as alicorns.

Other alicorns (twilight and cadence) are first a Pegasus or unicorn (probably not an earth pony) then if they have discovered their true destiny (not their cutie marks) then they are made alicorns and appointed as royalty.

You guys are all forgetting about this monstrosity:

Princess_Skyla_Toy.jpg

Not only is she a terrifying abomination that must be purged with fire, she also destroys the headcanons that alicorns are ascended ponies.

• Brohoof 1

Wow I never expected so many replies. It explains a lot though. Thank you. Some of you mention a book. Do you remember what the book is? I'd love to read it. That doll does go against what seems to be cannon...

So this brings up another questions. Say Twilight Sparkle (or any Alicorn for that matter) has a kid... Any idea what it would be? I guess the best option would be Princess Cadence and Shining Armor. In my opinion I'm pretty sure it would be a Unicorn, but I could be wrong because the episode where Mr. and Mrs. Cake threw me through a loop on that idea lol.

Thanks everyone for all the help.  :D

No alicorn has ever had a kid on the show so we don't know.  My guess would be it may be one of the 3 regular types of ponies. As for the picture above, it is not show canon since Princess Cadance & Shining Armor, as of the season Finale have had no kids. 

I don't think that any of the alicorns have any children. Celestia and Luna probably went through the same ascension as Twilight or Cadence. Cadence was originally a pegasus before she became an alicorn, then Twilight ascended into an alicorn in the Season 3 finale.

If alicorn-ism is inherited (theoretically), I assume it would be a recessive gene. Since, as far as we know, only female alicorns exist, their foal would most likely be the race of the stallion they mate with.

If alicorn-ism is inherited (theoretically), I assume it would be a recessive gene. Since, as far as we know, only female alicorns exist, their foal would most likely be the race of the stallion they mate with.

Hmm...That's a great way to look at it. It makes sense too. I guess we'll just have to wait to see if Cadence and Shining Armor have children.

I'd love to see Cadance and Shining have children, that would be both interesting and cute, to see their daughter or son or maybe more than one child. I'd also love to see backstory on Luna and Celestia when they were younger and maybe show their parents.

• Brohoof 1

While Faust figured that the diarchs were born as unicorns, she lost her canon after the first season and the topic never was addressed.

They might or might not have been natural born alicorns. 

People figured Cadance was as well until the book on her came out.

Personally I like the idea that you EARN it rather than are born with it anyway.

• Brohoof 1

In the middle ages, they were never addressed using a proper name, just as "winged unicorns". So they no specific name. Alicorn was coined by the show, but they can also be referred to using the portmanteau of pegasus and unicorn to make pegacorn. Which is what you were using. 

Alicorn existed before the tv show, at least in a book from 1984

While Faust figured that the diarchs were born as unicorns, she lost her canon after the first season and the topic never was addressed.

They might or might not have been natural born alicorns.

People figured Cadance was as well until the book on her came out.

Personally I like the idea that you EARN it rather than are born with it anyway.

I agree! If you except the Royal Sisters absence from Hearth's Warming Eve as significant and the fact that Unicorns once raised the sun and moon, but stopped suddenly, and seemingly without a good reason; I've always wondered if an event occurred that allowed two Unicorn sisters to find their special destiny. :-)

I'd love to see Cadance and Shining have children, that would be both interesting and cute, to see their daughter or son or maybe more than one child. I'd also love to see backstory on Luna and Celestia when they were younger and maybe show their parents.

Right?! It would be great to see the family trees expand a little more in any direction.

You guys keep mentioning a book. What is this book? I gotta read it!

I agree! If you except the Royal Sisters absence from Hearth's Warming Eve as significant and the fact that Unicorns once raised the sun and moon, but stopped suddenly, and seemingly without a good reason; I've always wondered if an event occurred that allowed two Unicorn sisters to find their special destiny. :-)

"Without good reason"? It was Discord remember, he messed everything up.

(edited)

"Without good reason"? It was Discord remember, he messed everything up.

At some point he did mess things up, but we have no evidence that the Unicorns giving up their duty had anything to do with Discord. The exact events are murky. Celestia and Luna were already princesses when Diacord appeared.

Edited by Nature's Spell

At some point he did mess things up, but we have no evidence that the Unicorns giving up their duty had anything to do with Discord. The exact events are murky. Celestia and Luna were already princesses when Diacord appeared.

Yeah I remember them fixing Discord the first time and they were already in charge of the sun and moon at that time.

Alicorn existed before the tv show, at least in a book from 1984

Well the first Generation One "prime-time special" aired in 1984. However, maybe the word coined was inappropriate. Maybe popularised would be more fitting. 

So I'm new to the MLP fandom and I had some questions about Alicorns. 

Are there some that are born Alicorns? This may seem odd, but I've watched all three seasons that Netflix has of MLP: FIM and the movie but still have not been able to understand this.

Also are all Alicorns royalty? So far it seems that way, but I do realize that not all royalty are Alicorns.

I feel silly saying Alicorn because I grew up calling them Pegacorns. Maybe that's just a thing where I'm from though. Please keep in mind I've only watched the first three seasons and the movies so no spoilers if possible. I understand if you say later in season four that they explain it. Thank you!

I can't say for sure if some are born Alicorns, especially from Luna and Celestia's view. On the side with Cadence and Twilight Sparkle, it seems they are molded into strong leaders, and then transformed into the ultimate pony.

I've wondered the same question myself about all Alicorns being royalty. But from what we've seen in the show, it seems obvious that since we've only seen Alicorns in the position of royalty, and non-royal Alicorns have yet to be mentioned, it seems it would be a safe assumption to say that they are only royalty. But that's not for sure, it would be an interesting question for Meghan McCarthy, however! ^^

Also, Pegacorn is actually a fun word to say! Seems like Pinkie Pie would make fun out of saying it just she did in "The Last Roundup" with saying "Pickle Barrel" and "Kumquat"! However, I can understand how you would get that term, so you're fine in my books, friend. ^^ (\

Right?! It would be great to see the family trees expand a little more in any direction.

You guys keep mentioning a book. What is this book? I gotta read it!

You mean Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell? I've not read it myself, I should, but it is supposed to be set after Twilight becomes an alicorn and talks about Cadance's younger days before she was an alicorn and how she became one.  I read Hasbro has dictated that the book is canon with the show.

You mean Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell? I've not read it myself, I should, but it is supposed to be set after Twilight becomes an alicorn and talks about Cadance's younger days before she was an alicorn and how she became one.  I read Hasbro has dictated that the book is canon with the show.

Thank you! I'll have to look into it and see if I can find it.

• 4 months later...

From what I understand, there was alicorns before celestia and luna. Now, it does seem that being an alicorn means being royalty of ponies, there are no examples or references to alicorns who arn't royalty. Does that suggest that the alicorns, before they dissapeared were the ruling tribe? Like, if they saw themselvs as the royal tribe thus they were all princesses and princes over the 'lesser ponies'.

In anycase, by the time of Hearths Warming the only (known) alicorns around are Celestia and Luna, so maybe there was a period before the time of the three tribes than included an Alicorn tribe, and era of the 4 tribes.

(Crystal Ponies, Bat ponies, and Seaponies/Merponies, are tribes too, right? They need to be explained more)

Edited by Zoraxe