Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Replacing pavement with solar panels: a good idea?

Shady Bubbles

Three words.

Solar

FREAKIN

Roadways

The basic idea is that we replace all of our useless pavement with solar panels that have built-in LED lights.

Personally I think it's a fantastic idea, and the video makes some excellent points about the advantages of 

Solar

FREAKIN

Roadways

So tell me your thoughts. Should we be funding this? Why or why not?

• Brohoof 5

I don't really see a reason to be funding this. ^^"

Why do you think it should be funded? ^^

To me, it just looks like something to make roads look cooler.

However, I don't think the government would be spending billions of dollars just to get this fancy addition done to the roads. ^^"

But hey, that's just me. ^^

• Brohoof 2

However, I don't think the government would be spending billions of dollars just to get this fancy addition done to the roads. ^^"

This.

I haven't watched the video, so I don't know the specifics, but unless the roads do more than just make things light up, there's really no need for it.

I'm all for clean, renewable energy, so if this was able to convert solar into enough electricity to outweigh the price of installation, then I'd easily be on it's side. But as a fancy looking thing to drive on, I'm not so hyped.

• Brohoof 1

Well, it's like he explained in the video. The removal of power lines and telephone poles helps keep our roads safe from falling livewires. The fact that our roads would be solar panels generates electricity. Imagine if your driveway was made of solar panels. It sits in the sun all day while you're at work. Think of how much stuff it could power by the time you get home. The building and installation process could provide thousands of jobs across the states. The LED lights could warn you of upcoming roadway hazards. The panels are also heated to prevent them from being covered in ice and snow, so tax money wouldn't need to be spent on clearing the roads. If we replaced all of our paved roads with solar panels, we could generate 3x as much energy as the USA currently uses. No more nuclear power, no more power outages, no more wasted tax money on fixing cracked asphault, etc. They're good for the environment AND the economy. And plus...

They're SOLAR FREAKIN ROADWAYS!  B) (I had to do it)

The fact that they look cool is only an added bonus. Don't let it fool you. These things will pay for themselves. And they have far too many benefits to be ignored.

This.

I haven't watched the video, so I don't know the specifics, but unless the roads do more than just make things light up, there's really no need for it.

I'm all for clean, renewable energy, so if this was able to convert solar into enough electricity to outweigh the price of installation, then I'd easily be on it's side. But as a fancy looking thing to drive on, I'm not so hyped.

Watch the video. It will change your mind and explain everything. If it was just an idea to make our roads prettier, then I wouldn't support it. But there's just so many avantages that I don't see any reason why we SHOULDN'T have these things.

• Brohoof 2

Well, it's like he explained in the video. The removal of power lines and telephone poles helps keep our roads safe from falling livewires. The fact that our roads would be solar panels generates electricity. Imagine if your driveway was made of solar panels. It sits in the sun all day while you're at work. Think of how much stuff it could power by the time you get home. The building and installation process could provide thousands of jobs across the states. The LED lights could warn you of upcoming roadway hazards. The panels are also heated to prevent them from being covered in ice and snow, so tax money wouldn't need to be spent on clearing the roads. If we replaced all of our paved roads with solar panels, we could generate 3x as much energy as the USA currently uses. No more nuclear power, no more power outages, no more wasted tax money on fixing cracked asphault, etc. They're good for the environment AND the economy. And plus...

They're SOLAR FREAKIN ROADWAYS!  B) (I had to do it)

The fact that they look cool is only an added bonus. Don't let it fool you. These things will pay for themselves. And they have far too many benefits to be ignored.

Watch the video. It will change your mind and explain everything. If it was just an idea to make our roads prettier, then I wouldn't support it. But there's just so many avantages that I don't see any reason why we SHOULDN'T have these things.

See, these are ideas I can get behind. I'm not in a position to watch the video right now, is all. All of those point are quite good and valid. My only question is how it would be if you actually crunched the numbers. And it also depends on whether or not the technology is available. If there isn't enough energy being converted, we could still end up at a loss.

• Brohoof 1

The fact that in generates sustainable electricity is kinda the point. They're not just pretty roads. If every road in America were paved with these they'd generate enough electricity to power the entire country 3x over. (If every road in Australia were paved with these we'd probably generate enough electricity to power the entire globe, haha.)

Not to mention they could store electricity to power hybrid and electric cars as they travel along the road, and they stay warm in winter to keep ice and snow away. It's really, really, really cool stuff.

I agree with Shady Bubbles, these things are awesome, and it's like a utopian sci-fi dream made reality if they become common place.

• Brohoof 2

See, these are ideas I can get behind. I'm not in a position to watch the video right now, is all. All of those point are quite good and valid. My only question is how it would be if you actually crunched the numbers. And it also depends on whether or not the technology is available. If there isn't enough energy being converted, we could still end up at a loss.

The number is an estimate from the the FHA. And yes, the technology is available. Two prototypes were invented in 2006. That was 8 years ago. The technology has probably been improved upon since then. And the energy conversion shouldn't be a problem. It's not like we're running out of sunlight any time soon.  :)

I do wish you could watch the video though. He does a much better job explaining this than I can. 

The fact that in generates sustainable electricity is kinda the point. They're not just pretty roads. If every road in America were paved with these they'd generate enough electricity to power the entire country 3x over. (If every road in Australia were paved with these we'd probably generate enough electricity to power the entire globe, haha.)

Not to mention they could store electricity to power hybrid and electric cars as they travel along the road, and they stay warm in winter to keep ice and snow away. It's really, really, really cool stuff.

I agree with Shady Bubbles, these things are awesome, and it's like a utopian sci-fi dream made reality if they become common place.

Exactly! I didn't even think about powering electric cars, but that's another benefit to them. No more paying 4$ a gallon at the pump. The road could fuel your vehicle! 

It's like a solution to half of America's problems in one go. The only drawback I could see would be dealing with getting to work, etc while the roads are being converted. But there's always detours  ^_^

• Brohoof 1

It will be good if it does happen, but it sounds like it would be hard to do and it would be a long time to use it in a lot of areas.

If this does happen though, cool. :P

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... I think this would be very expensive to fix and maintenance, but it would produce quite a bit of electricity.

But would the solar panels be able to withstand all that weight travelling across it all of the time?

They are covered in a special glass material that meets the same impact and traction requirements our current roads do. They also produce more than enough electricity to sustain the rest of our electronics, so I would imagine that they are self-sustaining. 

In other words, as crazy as it might sound, they can stand the weight and they will pay for themselves. 

Plus it would be like Tron if it was real  :wub:

It will be good if it does happen, but it sounds like it would be hard to do and it would be a long time to use it in a lot of areas.

If this does happen though, cool. :P

It would definitely take a long time to get them up and running. I don't see it happening anytime soon. I most likely won't live to see solar roadways become a reality. But a girl can dream right?  :(

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I agree. My only difference in opinion is that it does not look cooler, and is likely to mess up our cars. Not to mention that we are already 13 trillion plus dollars in debt with the rest of the world, and will never be able to pay it off. How could anyone expect the government to afford this?

Are my stats correct? I guessed, seeing as I never really pay attention in school. I'm focused on writing my book.

Edited by Pause
  • Brohoof 1

They are covered in a special glass material that meets the same impact and traction requirements our current roads do. They also produce more than enough electricity to sustain the rest of our electronics, so I would imagine that they are self-sustaining. 

In other words, as crazy as it might sound, they can stand the weight and they will pay for themselves. 

Plus it would be like Tron if it was real  :wub:

It would definitely take a long time to get them up and running. I don't see it happening anytime soon. I most likely won't live to see solar roadways become a reality. But a girl can dream right?  :(

Also as for the cost, I would probably say that the profits for the electricity produced would likely make up for the price of installation!

• Brohoof 1

It's a VERY cool idea but funding this eh... It would be cool for this to happen but it's all about the money now than down the line to most of the people who are funding this. Like installing these would take a lot of money to set up and place everywhere as well as time. So the more time spent putting these in the more money that goes down the drain for these big companies assisting it. Unless it's some absurdly rich company that has the man and money power to get this going I really don't see this being funded to a full extent. Maybe some areas yes but not the entire US and/or World

Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to see this come through I mean.. really a light up rec center that let's you configure what you wanna play? OH HELL YES!!!....*ahem* As well as reducing accidents by animals and pretty much clear roads year round would be very awesome as well. Would save people the issue of sliding of the road, accidents, gas from trekking through snow, and etc.. I would love to see this implemented but I don't see it happening.

• Brohoof 2

I agree. My only difference in opinion is that it does not look cooler, and is likely to mess up our cars. Not to mention that we are already 13 trillion plus dollars in debt with the rest of the world, and will never be able to pay it off. How could anyone expect the government to afford this?

Also as for the cost, I would probably say that the profits for the electricity produced would likely make up for the price of installation!

That pretty much sums it up. Our economy sucks right now. Think of how many jobs could be created for installation and maintenance of these roads. And they can't be nearly as harmful for your vehicle as potholes and damaged concrete. Plus, asphault can't warn you if there's an animal in the road  :muffins:

It's a VERY cool idea but funding this eh... It would be cool for this to happen but it's all about the money now than down the line to most of the people who are funding this. Like installing these would take a lot of money to set up and place everywhere as well as time. So the more time spent putting these in the more money that goes down the drain for these big companies assisting it. Unless it's some absurdly rich company that has the man and money power to get this going I really don't see this being funded to a full extent. Maybe some areas yes but not the entire US and/or World

Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to see this come through I mean.. really a light up rec center that let's you configure what you wanna play? OH HELL YES!!!....*ahem* As well as reducing accidents by animals and pretty much clear roads year round would be very awesome as well. Would save people the issue of sliding of the road, accidents, gas from trekking through snow, and etc.. I would love to see this implemented but I don't see it happening.

I'm in the same position. It seems like such a good idea to me. Save the environment, save the economy, save animals from becoming roadkill.... But all of those are long term benefits. And our past pretty clearly reflects that we don't think long-term when making big decisions.  

It's like our government is in a JG Wentworth commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0fIi3H-es

There's these magical things called reflectors..... That don't use electricity.... Yeah..

What else don't reflectors do?

Hmmmm....

Generate capital, power our cities, warn us of road hazards...

• Brohoof 3

It could happen if it's implemented incrementally. Keep in mind that, at least in the US, road management is part of municipal government, and a lot of towns and cities could have the funds to install it within their own jurisdiction. If it's as effective as I hope it is, that reduced financial load on energy would eventually let the project pay for itself, and they could even sell excess power to neighboring cities, thereby passing on that reduced financial load on energy and possibly even enabling them to install their own solar roads. And then the sweet cycle continues.

It would be very difficult to implement this as a grand national-scale project, but if it starts on a local scale, I think it could definitely happen.

• Brohoof 2

I'm in the same position. It seems like such a good idea to me. Save the environment, save the economy, save animals from becoming roadkill.... But all of those are long term benefits. And our past pretty clearly reflects that we don't think long-term when making big decisions.  

Exactly that. Our government is like NONONONONO! My money! MY MONEY!... Sure they need to run the country and I sure as heck couldn't but I am sure they are at LEAST a bit crooked and have other high companies that are the same way... We need some.. GENEROSITYYYY...I had to... long term benefits don't appeal to the government as much as most would like. They prefer the short term goal a decent amount of the time. I would love to see this implemented and do all the could it possibly could but the chances of them actually doing it? We would literally need a miracle of generosity. 

It could happen if it's implemented incrementally. Keep in mind that, at least in the US, road management is part of municipal government, and a lot of towns and cities could have the funds to install it within their own jurisdiction. If it's as effective as I hope it is, that reduced financial load on energy would eventually let the project pay for itself, and they could even sell excess power to neighboring cities, thereby passing on that reduced financial load on energy and possibly even enabling them to install their own solar roads. And then the sweet cycle continues.

It would be very difficult to implement this as a grand national-scale project, but if it starts on a local scale, I think it could definitely happen.

If it had a chain reaction like starting off at local places then eventually building out onto the entire nation I would be all for that. If government and local officials can see past the short term goals and see the long term goals that comes with this I would be very happy to see this put in and advance farther with the possibilities with said technology. Of course this could happen but I don't think it has a big enough chance but time will tell. Hey if it does do a chain reaction like you mentioned that would be pretty sweet.

That pretty much sums it up. Our economy sucks right now. Think of how many jobs could be created for installation and maintenance of these roads. And they can't be nearly as harmful for your vehicle as potholes and damaged concrete. Plus, asphault can't warn you if there's an animal in the road  :muffins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0fIi3H-es

What else don't reflectors do?

Hmmmm....

Generate capital, power our cities, warn us of road hazards...

Uh yeah they do warn us of hazards, such as hairpin turns, the side of the road, and also are implemented in road signs so that they are highly visible at night. These lit up roadways would in no way generate capital, albeit it wouldent cost to much to operate because they generate their own energy, but then again how are you gonna make this led road strong enough to hold up against traffic, keep it from being too slippery to drive on, and lord only knows the amount of maintenance this project would require.... It's just verrry impractical in this point in juncture.

• Brohoof 1

Uh yeah they do warn us of hazards, such as hairpin turns, the side of the road, and also are implemented in road signs so that they are highly visible at night. These lit up roadways would in no way generate capital, albeit it wouldent cost to much to operate because they generate their own energy, but then again how are you gonna make this led road strong enough to hold up against traffic, keep it from being too slippery to drive on, and lord only knows the amount of maintenance this project would require.... It's just verrry impractical in this point in juncture.

They wouldn't generate capital? Are you kidding? We would generate enough electricity to power the country 3 times over. You don't think all that juice is going to go to waste do you? We could easily sell it to other countries to get a little extra money (and hopefully pull us out of this debt...)

As for your other concerns, you have to keep in mind that you wouldn't be driving DIRECTLY on the panels. They are coated in a unique glass-like material that has already been tested to meet the impact and traction requirements needed for you to drive on it. You do have a point as far as maintenance goes, but we already shovel out tax dollars to maintain our current roads, so it wouldn't be too much of an issue. We already have the technology to make this a reality. We just need the initiative. 

Exactly. It wouldn't be a feasible idea to replace all of our roads at once. It would have to be a gradual change, much like the proposal of electric cars, or the introduction of those curly light bulbs. I'm sure not everyone would be on board, but if it means we reduce our environmental footprint and get to make money doing it, then the neigh-sayers are sure to change their minds.

• Brohoof 1

The reason why these roadways don't exist is because of the lobbying power of the oil, coal, and gas companies. I love the idea of solar roads because of all the added benefits but unfortunately these old fossils (No pun intended) who lobby the government still exist.

• Brohoof 2