Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Countries Traditional Food

Lordav

The great thing about America is that its "traditional food" is actually a lot of different foods across many different cultures. Italian, Mexican and Chinese food are especially popular. The part of America I live in California as part of the American South West has a lot of Mexican food and sea food. There are 6,7 maybe 8 Mexican restaurants and markets (I am not kidding) within walking distance of where I work. I work at a grocery store and hot sauce, taco shells/mixes are both big sellers and not just among hispanics though among them Hominy (kind of like corn) and Menudo (Mexican soup made from cow intestines) are major sellers. My Dad once owned an Italian restaurant which while it is gone there is one near where I live which is actually just as good which is saying something.

Here in the United States.

Coca Cola was originally marketed as a hang over cure.  A counter clerk screwed up & hooked up CO2 instead of water & sales soared.

And Coke also had cocaine in it thus the name Coca Cola, it dosen't have that now but you wouldn't know that with how much of it people drink these days.

• Brohoof 3

Did you know that burgers and hot dogs actually originated from Germany...

They look tasty =P

Never knew that before. 

America has actually contributed the corn dog, brownies, graham crackers, and fortune cookies if you can believe that.

The great thing about America is that its "traditional food" is actually a lot of different foods across many different cultures. Italian, Mexican and Chinese food are especially popular. The part of America I live in California as part of the American South West has a lot of Mexican food and sea food. There are 6,7 maybe 8 Mexican restaurants and markets (I am not kidding) within walking distance of where I work. I work at a grocery store and hot sauce, taco shells/mixes are both big sellers and not just among hispanics though among them Hominy (kind of like corn) and Menudo (Mexican soup made from cow intestines) are major sellers. My Dad once owned an Italian restaurant which while it is gone there is one near where I live which is actually just as good which is saying something.

The menudo is a good choice when you have a hangover :3

I'm in the US, but I'm Mexican.

My favorite breakfast meal: chorizo con huevo (and beans w/cheese) :nom:.

516ef67570f15560162_172163346246833_2011

Tacos! (do I need a pic :comeatus:?)

Agua de horchata is pretty good too.

maxresdefault.jpg

What else, what else.... oh, entomatadas! I had some yesterday, but the tomatoes were really... "acidic" :S.

12453.jpg

• Brohoof 2

The Philly cheesesteak:

WoW_Cheesesteak_Sliced_Whiz.jpg

Just looking at it makes me want to go there now.  I've never been able to order a proper cheesesteak outside of the Philadelphia area.  That's why I always keep a box of Steak-umms in my freezer. B)

• Brohoof 1

anything grilled and twice the normal size is America's traditional food

but I think our most significant food would have to be apple pie

Ok so I found something that seems appetizing, it's called apple crumb pie and looks like this:

yes those are almost better then apple pie

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame

Originating from Texas, USA, I figure I can represent Southern food!

Green bean casserole (yum!)

green_bean_casserole_1.jpg

Pecan pie (extra yum!)

Pecan-Pie.jpg

Fried oreos (so disturbed by this that I've never tried it!)

fried-oreos1.jpg

Collard greens (only good with significant added flavoring XD)

NY0104_Creamed-Collard-Greens.jpg

Rule of Southern food: All vegetables and healthy nutrients must be completely smothered in as much fat as possible.  ^^

• Brohoof 1

Green bean casserole (yum!)

Again? It was invented by a corporation which is headquartered in New Jersey. And even then, it would make it a regional thing, not a national food, much less "traditional" by any sense of the word.

Again? It was invented by a corporation which is headquartered in New Jersey. And even then, it would make it a regional thing, not a national food, much less "traditional" by any sense of the word.

But, it's cherished by Southerners as a "Southern" food.  That's enough for me- I feel like things move away from where they were originally made and become popular somewhere else all the time.  If you want to be a stickler about how traditional something is, it gets hard to justify when our country is only a few hundred years old (as far as the dominant culture/people goes).

It still works for me though!  Because I currently live in NJ, lol, so it's still traditional in my state either way you look at it.

Oh, and Southerners tend to consider themselves a very distinct region, and I believe people have been posting regional food this entire thread anyway.

• Brohoof 1

Canadian foods,eh? :blush:

Let's start off with some sweets. Eh.

We have Traditional Nanaimo bars

nanaimo-bars-89644.jpg

Sugar Pie

how-to-make-sugar-pie.jpg

Maple Syrup

193379.jpg?617

Now,for more "main course" stuff.

Peameal Bacon. (Aka Canadian Bacon to those out of country)

45-off-peameal-bacon-701642-regular.jpg

Regular bacon. We also have a Maple flavoured variant. (it is awesome)

bacon.jpg

Classic Poutine

poutine.jpg

• Brohoof 3

I'd like to toss in a bit about all the deep frying we do in Texas.

Deep Fried Beer:

h_fried_beer_100826_ssh.jpg

Deep Fried Butter on a Stick:

but.jpeg

Deep Fried Snickers Wrapped in Bacon:

l.jpg

Deep Fried Cereal:

deep-fried-cereal-1.jpg

And last, but certainly not least, Deep Fried Donut Bacon Cheeseburgers:

Untitled-1-copy7.jpg

• Brohoof 5

Here in Quebec we have:

• The Popular Poutine:

image-poutine-8GbiHX5GcJyD-14037.jpg

• The Smoked Meat, a Montreal's classic

2120795725_63bf13695c.jpg

• Pâté Chinois (Chinese Pie)

000_0126.jpg

• Pouding-Chômeur (Chomeur's Pudding)

pouding-chomeur-St-Michel41.jpg

• Tourtière (Meat Pie)

tourtiere-porc-veau-410.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Why? I've seen it served in the west and it's likely just as popular in the northeast.

And... are you from the South?

I'd say it's difficult to say why different people latch onto any food.  ^^