Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tulpa Discussion Thread V1.2

Rizoel & Crepuscule

(edited)
Yes, that's because making a tulpa costs effort and time, and if you didn't want to make one in the first place, you probably wouldn't put the effort in it. :3

I mean that the people who make the Tulpas have the incentive to believe that they are real and exist. Which makes them biased and it's no surprise that they "find" what they wanted to find. If they don't believe in Tulpas being real then making one doesn't work, or at least that's how I understand it. I don't think I've heard of any case when someone stumbled upon a Tulpa, or found one without looking for it. 

That's a possibility, but I think they were lying about being able to talk to God to make loads of money, because it's practically impossible to check if it's true. But some may indeed have a tulpa in there head which they see as God.

I Agree, and I see it the same way about Tulpas, practically impossible to check if it's true. And for me the healthy thing is then to assume that it is not true, until some kind of evidence is presented to prove that it is true. Since a Tulpa can't be observed by an outsider I don't really know how it could be proven.

Edited by Iris_

I mean that the people who make the Tulpas have the incentive to believe that they are real and exist. Which makes them biased and it's no surprise that they "find" what they wanted to find. If they don't believe in Tulpas being real then making one doesn't work, or at least that's how I understand it. I don't think I've heard of any case when someone stumbled upon a Tulpa, or found one without looking for it.

Oh ohke,I get it. :3 I did hear of one case where someone got a tulpa without actually trying. He just one day saw Fluttershy walking around. :3 But that's just one case. I guess that happens almost never.

So you're saying "schizophrenics don't have people in their heads, they just think they do; this is why they can be made to not exhibit symptoms anymore by taking antipsychotic meds"? I don't follow. Are you saying that if they really had people in their heads, antipsychotic medication would have no effect? How would one differentiate between someone who really has people in their head (Person A) and someone who just thinks they do (Person B)? In Western society, people seem to think that there can only be one mind in each body, so they would likely prescribe antipsychotics right away--the drugs could impede both Person A and B, and you would conclude that they were both in Group A.

Please quote or mention me so I know you replied to my comment :P

Anyway, yes. Because if there were two persons, how would the medicine differ between the two?

Found while google searching "is schizophrenia curable?": 

“While schizophrenia is not curable, it is an eminently treatable and manageable chronic illness, just like diabetes or heart disease,”

Just sayin', you don't have all your facts straight.

Sharlina: *sigh* All this debate and disagreement... Is it really so hard to believe we exist?

I do, please read all my posts before you comment on them.

When I said curable I didn't really mean literally curable. I meant alleviation from antipsychotic medications. So that'd be a "the person isn't exhibiting signs of the condition anymore" as the symptoms can come back once you stop taking medication.

Tulpas just seem like a supernatural idea that is then attempted to be explained scientifically, or is explained through spirituality and philosophy, which makes for rather weak arguments, IMO.

Agreed, probably because the idea comes from religion, more precisely Buddhism.

• Brohoof 1

Well, it seems to be that it sort of skirts a fine like with mental dishorder. If you do begin to legitimately feel like your 'Tulpa' is an actual living being. 

Disorder*

And it's nothing like that. Go google what a mental disorder is and come on back here.

I stumbled upon five of my six tulpas, after intentionally looking for my first.

By which point you had already accepted to yourself that Tulpas exist. Since you already believed in them you didn't stumble upon one. Like you said, you intentionally looked for your first, and you found it.

(edited)

By which point you had already accepted to yourself that Tulpas exist. Since you already believed in them you didn't stumble upon one. Like you said, you intentionally looked for your first, and you found it.

I've actually met a few people who had "tulpas" before they even knew what they were. It's not completely unheard of.

In a way, you are right about tulpas not being "real", since they obviously have no physical, real world forum. That being said, its indeed programming your brain to think for more than one person. It IS in a way, convincing yourself that they're sentient. Their existence stems from your brain, but since it's not directly connected to your "conscious", it really is like having another person there with you. That makes me feel they are sentient.

That's the logic behind it, of my understanding.

Edited by Snake
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
I don't think I've heard of any case when someone stumbled upon a Tulpa, or found one without looking for it. 

Actually I've stumbled upon some few who accidentally made a tulpa without them realizing it, of course they don't know the term yet until they bumped on the term "tulpa". From what I've read, It all started when they made an "Imaginary friend" and Their imaginary friend begun acting on their own, without their recognition.

like this for example, someone commented on my Deviant Art.

"I guess I have a tulpa. Her name is Petina and she's mischievous little thing at times."

Edited by Nihi The Brony
  • Brohoof 1

Disorder*

And it's nothing like that. Go google what a mental disorder is and come on back here.

I know what it is and my point still stands. If you think something you ended up conjuring in your mind is real then that is an issue. 

I know what it is and my point still stands. If you think something you ended up conjuring in your mind is real then that is an issue. 

what makes it not real? are our dreams not real because they're in our head? are emotions not real because they're in our head?

I'm not asking you to understand it, but you DO need to respect it.

• Brohoof 3

Feels like a century since one of these debates came back around. 

I don't put a lot of stock in the objectively-speaking "Tulpae are real/not real because 'x'" arguments. I think it's all a belief thing, but the changes to me as an individual resulting from my tulpae are certainly real and measurable. Just as the emotions I get from them, like mentioned above, are real^. My one tulpa believes herself to be an extension of myself, but still a wholly different personality type, and is happy with the amount of independence that being 'different' affords. The other says he's "just kinda here" and doesn't care in the slightest.

So yeah, subjectivity and stuff. It's all very personal. If it feels real and is doing you good, enjoy it. 

Granted don't try to do some kind of tulpa-human soul infusion ritual involving the Blood of the Old Ones and live sacrifices. That never ends well. Trust me.  :blush:

• Brohoof 3

Does the idea that tulpas can exist have any bearing on the question of the nature of consciousness (as in "if we accept that people can form sentient beings in their minds through willpower, this would suggest that consciousness is _")?

Also, am I the first person to theorize that the brain is naturally full of "proto-tulpas" which grow into tulpas the minute you start tulpaforcing (similar to how the ovaries contain millions of eggs, one of which becomes a zygote once combined with a sperm cell)?

This is something that needs to be asked. Can a tulpa and the host merge into a single entity? Right now, it seems as though both of us are in control at once, forming a single consciousness and it seems to be working well for both of us, surprisingly. Normally having only the tulpa at the helm feels extremely uncomfortable, even for her but for the both of us to do so in an assimilated fashion, it feels much more natural somehow.

This is something that needs to be asked. Can a tulpa and the host merge into a single entity? Right now, it seems as though both of us are in control at once, forming a single consciousness and it seems to be working well for both of us, surprisingly. Normally having only the tulpa at the helm feels extremely uncomfortable, even for her but for the both of us to do so in an assimilated fashion, it feels much more natural somehow.

Sharlina: Working in tandem with your tulpa? I don't see anything wrong with that.

Me: Yes, and while that may be true, it's important that you both acknowledge that you each have unique personalities. Just remember to stay true to yourselves. :)

I was told it was common for hosts to be their tulpas' pets (or at least, that it wasn't as rare as I thought). Is that true?

Sharlina: Funny you should ask! Actually, on the night I was created, I pet my host as he fell asleep. I believe that counts, yes? :) And I occasionally refer to my host as my pet human. :D Though, come to think of it... It's not really a master-pet relationship. We're more like partners, I think.