Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does humanity not have hunger for adventure anymore?

BronyPony

no adventure? NO ADVENTURE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????

we've planned a trip to populate mars for celestia's sake, we're more adventurous than you thin,k.

I highly doubt this will happen any time soon (not for hundreds of years at least)

What do you think astronauts are doing all the time?

The reason why it's not a spectacular super-forray like it was in the colonial age is because waitasecond:

We compress hundreds of years of exploration into a couple of paragraphs and forget that in the age of sail, big expeditions were expensive and took time to set up. Sort of like how space missions are kind of far apart. Huh.

Elon Musk of SpaceX says he wants to have thousands of rocket launches per year by 2020 (that would be in the order of three flights every day, or so) which is a really fast spur of spaceflight delivery.

• Brohoof 1

I have had a thirst for adventure at a young age and I still have some. I really just want to have an interesting, meaningful, complicated, important life that affects a lot of people and not just, like, 20. Yes, I know i'm sounding selfish, but hey.

I'm really just thinking technology hasn't advanced as far into space yet.

As with most things in life, I think this falls to an individual case by case basis. Me, I'm all for colonization. However, in terms of a personal journey, I'd be more interested in a trip to a Shaolin temple to learn from the monks, or a return trip down the Amazon river to Rio de Jenero. Something that drives me personally in my soul.

I think that you are defining the adventurous spirit with how you see it rather than how others might. One man's casual outing is another's grand epic.

• Brohoof 1

no adventure? NO ADVENTURE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????

we've planned a trip to populate mars for celestia's sake, we're more adventurous than you thin,k.

Yeah, but if you think about it most people think it's insane to do so. It questions how closed minded people are.

• Brohoof 1

Barely anybody has the urge to colonize other planets, and those who attempt to are looked upon as fools.

Because it's prohibitively expensive on one hand and impossible within normal human time frames on another.  Doesn't mean that we've lost our sense of adventure, people are just being realistic.

Everyone is obsessed with keeping with the system, or mistaken adventure with messing around.

So you both deplore people who keep the system and those who mess around with it?  Maybe if we do more people will have more thirst for adventure.

And yet if we admit that "messing around" is only a private endeavor, what does that entail precisely?  Are those who climb Mount Everest "messing around" because it's already been well-explored, they're spending money in places that could have otherwise be spent in something more ambitious, and they are putting their lives in danger?

Now everyone just wants to "live their lives" the "normal" way. 

Normality is relative.  Nobody purposely leads a "normal" life, that's simply an observation of what happens to be common.

(edited)

Because it's prohibitively expensive on one hand and impossible within normal human time frames on another.  Doesn't mean that we've lost our sense of adventure, people are just being realistic.

So you both deplore people who keep the system and those who mess around with it?  Maybe if we do more people will have more thirst for adventure.

And yet if we admit that "messing around" is only a private endeavor, what does that entail precisely?  Are those who climb Mount Everest "messing around" because it's already been well-explored, they're spending money in places that could have otherwise be spent in something more ambitious, and they are putting their lives in danger?

Normality is relative.  Nobody purposely leads a "normal" life, that's simply an observation of what happens to be common.

1. A majority of inventions that have brought us to this age had come from having unrealistic expectations.
  2. There is a difference between having curiosity/a sense of true goals and messing around.
  3. By normal I mean stereotypical. We want to live lives that are relatively similar to others because we feel it will bring us happiness. This misinterpretation of happiness leads us down a road where adventure no longer seen as bringing happiness.
  4. Keeping with the system hinders us. As Einstein has stated, it requires a new level of thinking to solve the problems that we thought of with our original line of thoughts.
Edited by BronyPony

(edited)

Some people are getting a one-way ticket to Mars. I'd love to go with them. To live there out in another place. I'd start a wheatgrass farm and make people health shakes (which they would probably not want). It would be fun to go somewhere else and just set up and stay for a while. I do think people have lost the taste for adventure, but it also seems we have nowhere else easy to explore. The nomadic life style humans used to have was great for adventure and travel, but now you just stay somewhere everyone else does, and you never move. If there weren't so many places already occupied, it would be eaiser. Alien planets would be perfect, but until we make laser propulsion safe and find a way to make sustainable energy, we're stuck in the solar system.

Edited by A Mustachiod Sir

Yeah, but if you think about it most people think it's insane to do so. It questions how closed minded people are.

Well, colonizing a planet takes a long time and a whole lot of incentive, and people are reluctant to leave their zone of comfort onto "unexplored" land. 

People are far more concerned with making money because that's how "making ends meet" is defined in this day and age. Especially in a time when the financial systems continue to decline. Making money is what it's all about.

Honestly, if money was of no concern and held no meaning or importance to our lives, we would have colonies in the ****ing Mariana Trench.

Now, though, we have everything we could want or need on Earth. Every nation in the world is populated by people. We have no need to go to space, nor do we really have the resources to go to space.

Elaborate.

• Brohoof 1

...people are reluctant to leave their zone of comfort onto "unexplored" land. 

That is my problem. Humans in the past had no problems with this as much. Now we seem so intimidated to leave Earth.

In my opinion, modern humans arn't as adventurous as their predecessors, for a number of reason. But the biggest reason is having the wool pulled over our eyes. In this day and age, when you must think and behave as most others do, free thinking and curiosity is often ridiculed and scorned at. 

First of all we will need to define adventure.

*ad·ven·ture  [ad-ven-cher]  Show IPA 
noun
an exciting or very unusual experience.
participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises: the spirit of adventure.
a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome.
a commercial or financial speculation of any kind; venture.

1. we have the internet, theme parks etc.

2. business people and politicians do that all the time

3. firefighters, medical people, police officers and soldiers in general do this

4. you do this every time you get a loan

So by the dictionary definition we have plenty of adventure!

If we mean the entertainment industry kind of adventure.
Those never really existed beside a few expeditions but even there the cold calculating type overcame the romantic heart**.

The ordinary people never had and might never have any chance to go on big journeys.

Yes. I have to agree with the fact that most people won't even take the dictionary kind of adventure(s) either.
First of all it is good they are not forced to be in wars or to emigrate other side of the planet just to get themselves fed.

On the other hand the lack of entrepreneur spirit is sad for me because I usually find myself surrounded by people who think I'm a bit crazy.

Of course I don't forget that most of us have either a lack of money, bandwidth or time poverty so I don't blame them for anything. 

*http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/adventure

**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_Amundsen_and_Scott_Expeditions

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

First of all we will need to define adventure.

1. we have the internet, theme parks etc.

2. business people and politicians do that all the time

3. firefighters, medical people, police officers and soldiers in general do this

4. you do this every time you get a loan

So by the dictionary definition we have plenty of adventure!

If we mean the entertainment industry kind of adventure.

Those never really existed beside a few expeditions but even there the cold calculating type overcame the romantic heart**.

The ordinary people never had and might never have any chance to go on big journeys.

Yes. I have to agree with the fact that most people won't even take the dictionary kind of adventure(s) either.

First of all it is good they are not forced to be in wars or to emigrate other side of the planet just to get themselves fed.

On the other hand the lack of entrepreneur spirit is sad for me because I usually find myself surrounded by people who think I'm a bit crazy.

Of course I don't forget that most of us have either a lack of money, bandwidth or time poverty so I don't blame them for anything. 

*http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/adventure

**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_Amundsen_and_Scott_Expeditions

1. The internet has become a norm. It is not an adventure that people go through(i.e. Facebook being overused and such).
  2. In a falling economy, it is hard to take "adventure," which means there isn't much going on besides SpaceX, and even then they are seen as 'crazy' by a majority of people.
  3. Though dangerous it isn't unusual.
  4. Haha.

"First of all it is good they are not forced to be in wars or to emigrate other side of the planet just to get themselves fed."

That is clearly not what I meant.

"Of course I don't forget that most of us have either a lack of money, bandwidth or time poverty so I don't blame them for anything. "

Many times in history those who were in poverty took big steps. Michael Faraday, for example.

Also, a majority of what I do does not involve expensive hardware. It involves a writing utensil and paper(that thing called mathematics). 

Edited by BronyPony

1. The internet has become a norm. It is not an adventure that people go through(i.e. Facebook being overused and such).
  2. In a falling economy, it is hard to take "adventure," which means there isn't much going on besides SpaceX, and even then they are seen as 'crazy' by a majority of people.
  3. Though dangerous it isn't unusual.
  4. Haha.

"First of all it is good they are not forced to be in wars or to emigrate other side of the planet just to get themselves fed."

That is clearly not what I meant.

"Of course I don't forget that most of us have either a lack of money, bandwidth or time poverty so I don't blame them for anything. "

Many times in history those who were in poverty took big steps. Michael Faraday, for example.

Also, a majority of what I do does not involve expensive hardware. It involves a writing utensil and paper(that thing called mathematics). 

The world is being carried by a few people.

What we usually see in History books is meritocracy.

Nowadays you need expensive stuff to do science economy or basically everything.

It's sad because it affects me for eternal mediocrity.

The world is being carried by a few people.

What we usually see in History books is meritocracy.

Nowadays you need expensive stuff to do science economy or basically everything.

It's sad because it affects me for eternal mediocrity.

That's my point. People have gotten into a mentality that only a select few people have skills to begin the future of adventure. No one is higher than any other. People have just lost hope. People need to step out of this and get going.

• Brohoof 1

That's my point. People have gotten into a mentality that only a select few people have skills to begin the future of adventure. No one is higher than any other. People have just lost hope. People need to step out of this and get going.

I agree with you.

How could they be realistically adventurous in our current position?

How could they be realistically adventurous in our current position?

In our current position, what people need to do is remove all barriers and create ideas no matter what position they are at. Ideas are the necessity of hope.

• Brohoof 1

I think that humanity lost the hunger for adventure because of the pop culture movement in mass media portraying either false image or useless programming only aimed for 18 to 35 year old men. I just feel that everyone is so conditioned to sit at the couch to watch TV that they don't want any kind of adventure anymore because they have all of their entertainment right here on a television screen. 

• Brohoof 1

I think lot of people think going on the internet is their adventure and dont want to go out and make things happen. At least that is how it is for people my age.

• 5 months later...

I feel like it is lost, yeah. 

Not lost forever... but lost for now. 

I'm a very adventurous person, and I think differently than most people I know. I'm always surprised when I realize most everyone's content with the, "get a job, work all day, go home, go on a few vacations, maybe retire when you're old and die," routine. No matter how many times I realize it. It just... seems like a waste of human life. 

Of course, I live by the motto, "find what makes you come alive, and do that." I'm constantly struggling for freedom and adventure, whether my brain wants me to or not (and whether society wants me to or not). I'm just.. made that way. And it makes me sad that that causes so many people to look down on me. I don't look down on them. I just want everyone to be happy is all...