Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The average scientific literacy rates of MLPF

Arctic Night

Scientific literacy survey...  

152 users have voted

1. 1. How many questions did you answer correctly? (Link to quiz is provided.)

It's extremely bad, since during the process it releases an extremely large amount of toxic chemicals which can possibly threaten people living nearby the site by possibly contaminating the ground and water. Unfortunately, anti-fracking protests has been pretty much ignored by industrial companies and some people in the government.

How about: "What if the Earth stopped rotating?" That would be a very interesting question.

Xkcd what if.has great answers to this type of question.  Like what if a day was a second long http://what-if.xkcd.com/92/

Fracking is a pretty big political/environmental issue right now, that's probably why it's there.

Many places are voting on banning (or partial banning) of it and it has caused some serious damage in places. And not 'environmental' but damage to homes and cities.

It's funny because a majority of people who are against fracking don't even know what it is specifically,

• Brohoof 2

It's funny because a majority of people who are against fracking don't even know what it is specifically,

Too true.. and that applies to SO many other things :(

Worse, some of the people who don't understand are in charge of making decisions about it... scary

It's extremely bad, since during the process it releases an extremely large amount of toxic chemicals which can possibly threaten people living nearby the site by possibly contaminating the ground and water. Unfortunately, anti-fracking protests has been pretty much ignored by industrial companies and some people in the government.

Fracking and the steps taken to ensure it's environmental safety are two different discussions in whole. Unless there is a completely efficient way of producing energy that is green and without environmental damage, we have t o deal with what efficiently can produce such energy while being somewhat safe. It would be like running into a fire without taking the proper preparations. If you simple stop relying on a resource that is most efficient, the economy is affected drastically.

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately, it appears that the number of participants scoring 12-13 is still hovering around 74%, even after fifteen more users joined the survey.

Wow, you sure are nice  :huh: ... You shouldn't base your judgement of people's intelligence about science on a silly test like this.  Heck, you shouldn't judge at all.  I myself got 13 but you don't see me knocking down those who scored less.  Furthermore, I don't think testing of any sort acutally defines a person's true intelligence.  In my opinion, the smarter man is actually the harder worker.  I only got a 24 on my ACT (and I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my score), but I got a 4.01 GPA in high school because I worked my arse off to get it.

The best way to be happy and successful in life: Be nice.  Work hard.  Do your best.  And don't judge others intelligence on silly tests.  AND, love, and tolerate.   :derp: 

I don't even know why Fracking was on the test.  Hydraulic fracturing is more of an energy exploration method than a piece of fundamental scientific knowledge, and your probably more likely to learn it through paying attention to politics rather than studying science because it is quite controversial.  There are far better questions that could have been incorporated.  How about one asking if gravitational acceleration is independent of mass.  That is like the classic physics questions.  How did that get bumped for something like this?

So, you're saying energy exploration isn't scientific  :mellow: ... 

94cf8d797c.gif

(edited)

Wow, you sure are nice  :huh: ... You shouldn't base your judgement of people's intelligence about science on a silly test like this.  Heck, you shouldn't judge at all.  I myself got 13 but you don't see me knocking down those who scored less.  Furthermore, I don't think testing of any sort acutally defines a person's true intelligence.  In my opinion, the smarter man is actually the harder worker.  I only got a 24 on my ACT (and I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my score), but I got a 4.01 GPA in high school because I worked my arse off to get it.

The best way to be happy and successful in life: Be nice.  Work hard.  Do your best.  And don't judge others intelligence on silly tests.  AND, love, and tolerate.   :derp:

I never said anything about intelligence. Per contra, if you had actually read my posts, you'd know that I admitted myself that this survey has nothing to do with intelligence. In fact, I am not judging at all. I'm just stating the facts. Your white knight tirade was unnecessary and out of place.

Moreover, it's really not "judging" if I'm encouraging users to improve the score. You were incredibly judgmental in making this post.

Where did I use the word "intelligence" on this thread? Oh yeah, it was this post:

I don't really think that's fair judgement. A lower result may signify ignorance (not stupidity, ignorance) in specific areas and not necessarily low intelligence. For all we know, you are the most intelligent user, you just forgot some science lessons.

You seem more interested in attacking my character than "loving and tolerating." But this is not the 'Debate Pit,' and I don't intend that to change, so let's leave things here. Just think before you assume rude things about people on the internet. Thank you.

Edited by Science Advocate
  • Brohoof 3

So, you're saying energy exploration isn't scientific  ... 

What I am saying is I think there are better questions to ask.  Ones that tackle fundamental scientific knowledge rather than hotbutton political issues.  This is more like asking what the Keystone pipeline is for.  Its more along the lines of trivia than scientific knowledge. 

• Brohoof 2

13/13 and I'ma pparently in the top 7%....

As are the majority of the people who've taken this test.

SO on average, those on this forum are more scientific.

This I like :D

• Brohoof 1

I never said anything about intelligence. Per contra, if you had actually read my posts, you'd know that I admitted myself that this survey has nothing to do with intelligence. In fact, I am not judging at all. I'm just stating the facts. Your white knight tirade was unnecessary and out of place.

Moreover, it's really not "judging" if I'm encouraging users to improve the score. You were incredibly judgmental in making this post.

Where did I use the word "intelligence" on this thread? Oh yeah, it was this post:

You seem more interested in attacking my character than "loving and tolerating." But this is not the 'Debate Pit,' and I don't intend that to change, so let's leave things here. Just think before you assume rude things about people on the internet. Thank you.

Oh I'm not wanting any debate.  But I believe you are judging and were judging despite what you try to say to convince me otherwise.  I read your posts.  And I read that of which you just quoted yourself.  Lol, as if saying someone is ignorant is not talking about their intelligence.

I did no such "white knight tirade" ... You, sir, make me laugh.

What I am saying is I think there are better questions to ask.  Ones that tackle fundamental scientific knowledge rather than hotbutton political issues.  This is more like asking what the Keystone pipeline is for.  Its more along the lines of trivia than scientific knowledge. 

Ok I agree with you that it is a hotbutton political issue.  But I still think, for what it's worth, the question was relevant to the test.  

I'm not so sure people on MLP forums are any more scientifically inclined than average. I'm sure the people who took the test and scored at the other end of the bell curve were less likely to report their results. And, let's not forget that people who are not all that interested in the scientific literacy of this board aren't going to take the test in the first place.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

You, sir, make me laugh.

What I got from this post was this: you are admitting that for whatever reason I have evoked an emotional response and consequently you are trying harder to belittle me than to prove that your post was of any logical merit.

Oh I'm not wanting any debate. But I believe you are judging and were judging despite what you try to say to convince me otherwise. I read your posts. And I read that of which you just quoted yourself. Lol, as if saying someone is ignorant is not talking about their intelligence.

In "ignorance" I was mostly referring to a "lack of knowledge." I lack knowledge in Victorian artwork. That doesn't make me "stupid."

If you fail the test, it likely means that you "lack knowledge" in some areas of science. This isn't offensive to say and implies nothing about "intelligence." You virtually conjured that word from nowhere.

Edited by Science Advocate

(edited)

I'm not so sure people on MLP forums are any more scientifically inclined than average. I'm sure the people who took the test and scored at the other end of the bell curve were less likely to report their results. And, let's not forget that people who are not all that interested in the scientific literacy of this board aren't going to take the test in the first place.

You might get a bit more accuracy if you did the scientific poll in real life; it would be less possible to cheat or lie about your results, and people are less inclined to try to mess up their scores if they feel that someone nearby them is watching. We try not to act like an idiot in real life. 

Wow, you sure are nice   :huh: ... You shouldn't base your judgement of people's intelligence about science on a silly test like this.  Heck, you shouldn't judge at all.  I myself got 13 but you don't see me knocking down those who scored less.  Furthermore, I don't think testing of any sort acutally defines a person's true intelligence.  In my opinion, the smarter man is actually the harder worker.  I only got a 24 on my ACT (and I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my score), but I got a 4.01 GPA in high school because I worked my arse off to get it.

You should try the SAT. 

Edited by Original Suri

10/13

You scored better than 63% of the public, below 25% and the same as 12%.

Yay me? :lol:

I'm not exactly scientifically minded though. I tend to think about things that science cannot explicitly prove or define. If science gives us results from a worldly perspective, I come from the opposite end and try to figure things out that don't particularly have any form of logic or with an entirely random form of logic that probably won't get me anywhere but it's quite interesting to consider the possibilities.

That test reminded me of that economics test that was going around that was being failed by young folks in American that was super easy.

Regardless, I got 13 out of 13 correct. I'm pretty proud of myself. And I didn't even have to cheat like I usually do.

Sometimes I think people fail test because they panic.  I have seen loads of videos where people go around asking really simple questions (what is 50% of 100? for example) while filming the person answering them jaywalking style (anybody remember Jay Leno?) and the person on the spot inevitably chokes and either gets the question wrong or never even attempts it.  I think they are panicking because they are being put on the spot in front of an audience.  They would probably be able to answer the question fine if they were relaxed.  It makes the public appear stupider than they are.

• Brohoof 3

Sometimes I think people fail test because they panic.  I have seen loads of videos where people go around asking really simple questions (what is 50% of 100? for example) while filming the person answering them jaywalking style (anybody remember Jay Leno?) and the person on the spot inevitably chokes and either gets the question wrong or never even attempts it.  I think they are panicking because they are being put on the spot in front of an audience.  They would probably be able to answer the question fine if they were relaxed.  It makes the public appear stupider than they are.

Which also accounts for most of the pessimism that's been going on recently!

...Just kidding, though on another note, our generation is pretty pessimistic. Tell them that a bunch of people get something wrong on a test and they say: "Our race is getting more idiotic by the moment." 

What I got from this post was this: you are admitting that for whatever reason I have evoked an emotional response and consequently you are trying harder to belittle me than to prove that your post was of any logical merit.

In "ignorance" I was mostly referring to a "lack of knowledge." I lack knowledge in Victorian artwork. That doesn't make me "stupid."

If you fail the test, it likely means that you "lack knowledge" in some areas of science. This isn't offensive to say and implies nothing about "intelligence." You virtually conjured that word from nowhere.

Hey, look.  I'm sorry, alright!  Really.  I am.  

It's just that, where I live, the terms "ignorance/ignorant" are used to mean "stupid" ...

THAT is seriously the reason why I said that.  I understand now you didn't mean it that way.  I can't help it that I live in a country area where we use words to mean different things than city folks do.  I honestly misunderstood due to this actual cultural difference in the words usage.

So, again, I'm sorry.  Peace?

• Brohoof 1

I've seen people literally become unable to do simple addition or subtraction under pressure: "What's 4-2?" "6!? I DONT KNOW!!" (Happened while tutoring someone about negative numbers)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Only 25% of the American public know anything about science. Great. I did get them all right, and I damn well better have, considering what my degree is going to be in. I looked at the demographics for each question and the percentage of correct responses, and I'm quite frankly shocked most people didn't know what I thought to be a simple answer. To reduce spoilers, it was question 7.

In other news, I'm glad to see that that ratio is much better here on this site.

Edited by SirHandMan

If only our science teacher gave out questions as easy as this on our tests, everyone would pass.

I got 13 out of 13, but the questions were pretty simple. All it states is that you have passed basic science.