Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The average scientific literacy rates of MLPF

Arctic Night

Scientific literacy survey...  

152 users have voted

1. 1. How many questions did you answer correctly? (Link to quiz is provided.)

I got 12 out of 13 questions correct. Honestly, that survey was easier than I expected it to be.

• 10 months later...
(edited)

I got 13/13 and I would consider most of those questions to be common knowledge... I have to admit I'm working in biology/chemistry and probably going to study something involving biology so it would have been sad if I got something wrong there but the question seem rather easy to me...

Edit: What surprises me is that women tend to be worse at this quiz than men...

Edited by Velcorn

One of them I intentionally got "scientifically" wrong, because I don't personally believe

the world's been around that long.

The good thing about science is that it doesn't matter what you believe; you are either wrong or right...

The good thing about science is that it doesn't matter what you believe; you are either wrong or right...

I read it as "The good thing about science is that you're always right", and was about to offer a brohoof.

Remember, people, that science is 100% speculation. Even the most "solid" of things can produce unexpected results.

I read it as "The good thing about science is that you're always right", and was about to offer a brohoof.

Remember, people, that science is 100% speculation. Even the most "solid" of things can produce unexpected results.

Science is in no way speculation and what do you mean with unexpected results? Any examples?

I got 12 out of 13. Did not really expect to get that many right, and I feel incredibly stupid for the one I did get wrong... Because it's kind of relevant to why earthquakes have been increasing where I live.

Science is in no way speculation and what do you mean with unexpected results? Any examples?

We think that medicine X helps thing Y. Because of some test results, chemical Z seems to make medicine X work. How would you know there isn't some other level of science we are unaware of influencing these results?

We don't. We don't know anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pessimistic_induction

We think that medicine X helps thing Y. Because of some test results, chemical Z seems to make medicine X work. How would you know there isn't some other level of science we are unaware of influencing these results?

We don't. We don't know anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pessimistic_induction

What's the point in doubting everything that has been investigated through science?

In your example a medicine has been tested thoroughly so we're now using it to treat some kind of disease i.e.... Does it matter if there is some other factor influencing its work mechanism?

I agree with you on the point that we know nothing =P

What's the point in doubting everything that has been investigated through science?

In your example a medicine has been tested thoroughly so we're now using it to treat some kind of disease i.e.... Does it matter if there is some other factor influencing its work mechanism?

I agree with you on the point that we know nothing =P

1. I'm not doubting, I'm questioning, and open to possibility of it being incorrect.

2. Not for that medicine, but possibly for others.

3. Respect +87

You scored better than 52% of the public, below 37% and the same as 11%.

Got 9 out of 13 and not really happy with that >_<... the quiz seemed rather easy. I need to review and brush up on my science a bit it seems.

1. I'm not doubting, I'm questioning, and open to possibility of it being incorrect.

2. Not for that medicine, but possibly for others.

3. Respect +87

1. Questioning stuff is good but might be irrelevant in some cases... If you do an experiment a 1000 times and it has the same result, why would you question the result?

2. Well, drugs are tested thoroughly beforehand so if a drug reacted different in another example, we would notice and have to further examine why it behaves/works different.

13/13.

Looking at the the breakdowns on the sheet, I was surprised to see that women consistently scored just a little lower than men. Interesting statistic, perhaps indicative of the fields of study the two genders prefer.

• Brohoof 1

12/13... i have no idea what those red blood thingies do, never even  heard of their existence.

Blood consists of erythrocytes (the red ones), leukocytes (the white ones) and thrombocytes (platelets)... erythrocytes transport oxygen whilst leukocytes fight infections... The platelets stop bleeding by clumping together making the blood stop to flow...

• Brohoof 1

Blood consists of erythrocytes (the red ones), leukocytes (the white ones) and thrombocytes (platelets)... erythrocytes transport oxygen whilst leukocytes fight infections... The platelets stop bleeding by clumping together making the blood stop to flow...

welp. thank you for the explaination :D

(edited)

Woo, 13/13 :squee:

Haven't done Science for a couple years so I was surprised, although a lot of those questions were pretty common sense to be honest.

Edited by Raritas