Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Do you still buy CDs/DVDs?

FadedSkies

I never buy CDs/DVDs, 'cause I never use them. I always watch movies on Netflix/illegal sites  ;) And I always listen to music on spotify. And I prefer digital copies when it comes to games, I usually end up losing most of my games, and it feels good to have everything at the same place (mostly).

Music: I like to buy CDs and records. Vinyls are just f :yay: cking cool. Now if there's an album I can't find on either of those formats, I buy from Amazon or iTunes (it depends if I'm on my phone or a computer at the time). I also buy it online if there's only one or two songs from an album that I like and the rest is crap. That way I'm not paying six dollars for one or two songs. Reason I like CDs is that I prefer to have lossless audio. It just sounds better to me and I like it. 

Movies/TV shows: That's what Netflix is for, right? I mean, I'll buy my favorite movies on DVD/Blu-ray just in case Netflix ever ceases to exist. That way I still have physical backups. Whether they'll still be playable by then is all up to time to decide.

Video games: Being mostly a PC gamer, digital distribution is nothing new to me here. In terms of PC games, I have reasons for going digital or picking it up at the store. This is really just a mix of both. I mean, you pick it up at the store and you get all the cool physical stuff like the maps and posters and whatnot but you don't always know what software it has to run through. I actually had a coupon code for Far Cry 3 and I had to install uPlay although Steam has Far Cry 3. Anyway there are pros and cons to each. Usually I go digital on my PC or I go physical on my PS3 - that way I can sell if I get tired of the game. 

Edited by Space Woona

Music:Usually digital but I'd rather have a disk

(Someone is messing with my dynamic range and its pissing me off!) But 90% of my music is ripped from Cd's anyway :P

Movies and Games:Physical, but you cant beat steam deals.

Edited by NighTCore

I buy most of my music on iTunes but i do buy my favorites as physical copies.

I have over 600 DVDs/BluRays, I like having all my movies sorted and ready to  watch whenever and im not keen on pirating.

For music I'm addicted to making playlists on YouTube and transferring them to our flatscreen T.V. via Play Station 3.  :wub:

Then I play my favorite music of my dreams throughout periods of the day and it's very soothing and inspirational. 

For movies/shows, we're strictly DVD's. No cable, nothing. Strictly the discs~

Music CD's, nah.... I can't stand them anymore. I play 1 lullaby CD on our Play Station 3 for my kids and that's it

I think I already posted here. But oh well.

I don't really buy DVDs...the only ones I have as of right now is The Lego Movie and Tangled. But I did put the Rainbow Rocks dvd on my Christmas list so I'll have 3 movies, whaaaaat up.

As of CDs. I have none. But I did also put Taylor Swift's 1989 album on my list as well. So that'll be the first cd I've owned in a long time. I used to have a Jesse McCartney cd back when I was in elementary, 3rd grade I think? Idk.

To me, it depends on what's available really :3 If i can't find blueray, I go for DVDs. Pretty happy about owning all seasons of Friends, House, and How I met your mother. 

Used to have StarTrek the next Generation too :3

I have Dvd's of shows/movies i REALLY like....I buy Cd's of folk music that you cannot find online or hear anywhere in the states (the last Cd's I ordered from Latvia)

Otherwise....I have my means ;) I don't have a full 2TB external hard drive for nothing....

I'll buy a CD when I can't purchase it digitally, or when it's an album I really like. Otherwise I purchase all of my music digitally. Games, it's a mix. I kind of like having physical, but if I can't get the game at my store, I'll go home and buy it digitally. DVDs? I hardly watch movies, and what shows I watch, I watch through online services. I'm not big on DVDs, the only reason I'd ever really need one would be to watch something on the TV, and I really prefer watching in a small window on my computer screen.

Edited by Envy

I prefer buying DVDs for movies and television shows, although all of the seasons of My Little Pony and the first Equestria Girls movie I bought through iTunes.  There's also the rare case when what I want is exclusively available online.

I have bought CDs recently, notably when I go to a concert and I love the opening group.  It can be difficult in some cases to find those groups in a digital medium, and physical copies are nice to hold in your hands and peruse.  But, most of my music is bought from one of two categories: digital or vinyl.  There's nothing like going to a record store or a Goodwill and picking out a bunch of really good (albeit old) records for $1 each, and it's cool to listen to them on a turntable.  I also have a device which lets me plug the turntable into my computer and rip the tracks from the record (and it was really cheap).  There's some audio editing involved, but it effectively lets me avoid buying the same album again online.  Also, many newly produced vinyl records, while more expensive than their CD or digital counterparts, often include a free download of the digital album.  In fact, I got my brother a record he wanted for Christmas last year, and he let me download the digital version while he kept the record.

One thing you have to look out for when buying old records, though, is that sometimes people put the wrong record in the album sleeve.  I bought a copy of John Denver's "Farewell Andromeda" only to get home and discover that "Rocky Mountain High", which I already had, was inside.  It did only cost $1, though, so I didn't make a big deal out of it.

• 5 weeks later...

Sure for those of us who like to get the movie on the day it comes out (or as soon as possible) are the ones who get the glitchy coppies.  But It is nice when you get the dvd, blue-ray, digital copy version that you can look past the problem for just long enough to see it in your home once.  Also for some one who saw it in the theater, you see it right away....

When it comes to music, I generally remain logged in at all times so listen to music online on the internet. My husband in his college days amassed such a huge collection of music CDs and proudly showed it off to whoever would care to visit. And now he's still proud of it but has stopped adding to his collection, I guess it's like a hobby which wears off after a while and they're sadly gathering dust in the corner shelf of our living room. For movies, we usually go watch them in the theaters so we don't have a DVD collection as such, apart from a few. The last DVD we bought was (if I remember correctly) was the first movie of the HTTYD series and maybe The Sound of Music before that. But games yes, here is where the husband and the son form a team and go overboard, collecting all sorts of games at all times, even though they might not end up playing a majority of them more than once. I guess that's how times change - earlier it was music CDs, now game CDs!

I prefer to download everything except my games.

^_^ must have physical copies so I don't have to fill up space in my computer.

unless it's a really good movie I'm more likely to just hope for it to be put on Netflix.

:) I guess that it's nice to have DVD's of my favorite anime or seasons of MLP.

idk it depends.