Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Do you still buy CDs/DVDs?

FadedSkies

When it comes to music, I prefer buying physical CDs when I can. This is because online downloads, such as songs from iTunes, are generally not lossless. If I buy a physical copy of the CD I am able to use a program I have that is able to rip music from a CD far better than standard programs such as iTunes and save them in a lossless, uncompressed format, such as wav. This results in my music library being of substantially higher quality.

I do purchase DVDs of movies or TV shows that are especially important to me from time to time as well.

• Brohoof 2

Nooooooope.

When I bought Windows 8 and went to install it, I recalled that my optical drive wasn't even connected. There it sat, with no power attached nor a data cable. For years now I've listened to all of my music online, either streaming or having downloaded it. Same goes for movies. Organizing and storing a library of physical media is more trouble than I care to go through, as is fumbling around with extra hardware, be it a drive in my computer or a completely separate device. The last hard copy I purchased was of Skyrim in 2011, and that's only because I got that nice, fancy collectors edition.

The days of physical media are done for me.

• Brohoof 1

I always get the physical copy of an album I enjoy. The quality is geenrally superior.

As for games and Movies...My download speed is terrible, so I'm generally forced to get physical copies, but it doesn't bother me either way.

Though I prefer digital music, I always prefer physical movies on DVD and Blu Ray. For some reason, I'm much more likely to watch a movie if it's in a physical format. Maybe it's the cover art that makes me prefer physical movies more. Because I don't really like CD cover art much. Same with video games, I prefer physical copies of games which is why I'm not into smartphone or tablet gaming. I think it's the cover art because physical media looks more presentable and I feel like I'm getting what it's actually worth.

Edited by TheJLeeTeam
  • Brohoof 1

Well, considering most of my music and movies are pirated....

I do like CD's but usually only get them for the sole reason of the album cover, and if they are a favorite band of mine.  I don't have it, but I'd really like to have this CD because of it's album cover (it's probably my favorite album cover EVER):

Korn%20-%20Follow%20The%20Leader%20-%20F

Maybe one day, if I don't buy the CD itself, I may buy a poster with this album cover on it to put in my room.

Well...yes and no.

Music: I rely on iTunes and Amazon digital services around 99% of the time. I will only go physical if said album is not available for download.

Movies: I prefer physical media as I only have so much digital storage available. Besides, I don't watch many movies these days.

TV Series: Again, I prefer physical media in most cases, but as the price for full series can be prohibitive I can make exceptions.

Video Games: Unless a game is only available exclusively online, I usually go physical only. Besides, I find it a point a pride as a gamer when my collection is in full display. ;)

• Brohoof 2

For me I dont buy much music so thats a no go. But when It comes to BDs and games I am physical unless it is digital only or it's 50% cheaper or more. If im only saving 25 or 30% over the physical that is deal breaker. I need to feel like I own it. If it's only digital then I am just renting the usage of the somebody else property. To me its like having a bus pass vs buying a car. You can pay an amount and have access to it some of the time under certain conditions but the car you can just go to the drive way and hop in and go.

Yes I do, but rarely. I only buy CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays of the music/movies/games that I personally enjoy. In fact, I've sold a lot movies and games these last few years because I didn't enjoy them very much in the first place.

Yep. I look for a physical copy before resorting to digital. Due to the convenience of Steam, however, I've got more digital PC games than physical. But that's where it stops. Even when it comes to things such as the various console virtual stores, or things such as iTunes and Netflix, nothing quite beats having the product there in your hands.

It also looks much better as part of a collection.

• Brohoof 1

I purchased the first three seasons of MLP:FIM in DVD format; though I hadn't purchased a DVD in a loooong while.  Would have liked it - and doubtless bought it - were Blu-ray format an option.  And I actually own a good number of J.S. Bach CDs; as well as Led Zep: Mothership, a couple of video game soundtracks, and a couple of Keiko Matsui albums (need more).

Not if you take care of the disc. Violence and technology: not good bedfellows.  ;)

"Well that was a nice listen, let me change the disc."

*click*

"Okay, now let's get you back into you-wah!"

*trip*

*clink*

"Nooo! Not my Limited Edition Sixteenth Stone album!"

This could have been avoided if Thom had just saved the disc as MP3's on his computer,

Where will you be, when 90's problems strike?

• Brohoof 1

This could have been avoided if Thom had just saved the disc as MP3's on his computer,

Where will you be, when 90's problems strike?

That is all.

20 character limit.

I have probably around 50 or 60 CD's, all of which I've bought within the past 5 years. Me and my brother also have a shared collection of DVD's we've bought over the past few years, and there's probably around 50 or so of them. And then there's all the VHS tapes we've bought from Value Village (a thrift store). I'm so glad we have a VCR, because Value Village (or at least the one we go to, I don't know about elsewhere) tends to have a lot of very good, classic films on VHS for only a couple dollars. Like, literally only a couple dollars. For some of the greatest films ever made, like Casablanca and Gone With the Wind. The downside is the film quality of VHS is noticeably worse than DVD... but still, it's cheap.

I prefer buying physical CD's for my music rather than off iTunes, though I have bought some albums from iTunes in cases where I was too impatient to find the CD somewhere and/or looked but couldn't find the CD anywhere.

For movies, I will sometimes watch them for free online if I don't think or don't know whether it'd be worth it to buy it. 

I don't really buy anything unless I have too. because why buy things when I got my trusty website.post-26346-0-04607500-1408164388.jpg I wish I knew how to post videos on here than I would put up the you are a pirate song so here's a picture of jack sparrow insteadpost-26346-0-88629000-1408164466.jpg

Yes, I still buy CD's. I want to support the people and things I like, which you cannot do through illegal downloads. That method should only be used as a last or temporary resort.

Of course, after I buy the CDs, I make my own MP3 copy for my own personal use. I've sort of been influenced by the audiophiles. I'm not one myself, but they do make a point about pure, uncompressed, unaltered sound. So if I need a more lossless recording, I'll always have the CD to work with.

DVDs? Sure, but I only buy the movies I absolutely love the most. Cream of the crop, as they say. I recently got a BluRay player, so I am open to those too. Really, any DVD & BluRay packs I can find are my friend. Helps me share with friends who might not have BluRay just yet.

Edited by Samurai Equine

• 1 month later...