So... Bronies or show first?

Cirrus.

Bronies or show (G4) first?  

61 users have voted

1. 1. So did you find out about Bronies before or after you watched/knew of the show?

• BEFORE I knew about/watched the show
    • AFTER I knew about/watched the show
    • I don't remember
  2. 2. If you knew of the show first what was your first impression of Bronies?

• Odd
    • I was against them... because reasons...
    • Suprised- but not negative... What's going on here and WHY?!?!?
    • I didn't care OR didn't really have an opinion
    • N/A- I knew of Bronies first
  3. 3. If you knew of Bronies BEFORE the show itself what was your first impression of them?

• Odd
    • I was against them... because reasons...
    • Suprised- but not negative... What's going on here and WHY?!?!?
    • N/A- I knew of the show BEFORE Bronies
  4. 4. How did your opinion change if you were against or found Bronies odd at first?

• I was "assimilated into the fun squad" quickly AFTER seeing some of the show
    • It took me a while to "get it"
    • N/A- I never had an issue with the idea of Bronies
  5. 5. If you hadn't FIRST seen the show before finding out about Bronies..

• You would have been more judgemental/skeptical of them
    • It wouldn't have affected your opinion
    • N/A-- I knew of them before I watched an episode.

So I just randomly though of a topic/poll I don't remember seeing here yet.

So did you find out about the show because of the Brony tsunami on the internet?

OR

Did you see the show first and then find out about the fan base?

In my case I somehow knew NOTHING about the new MLP until around Christmas '13, but had seen pony avatars not knowing what they were. I found out MLP after looking up Tara Strong after seeing an unrelated parody she was in. I only knew of the old show from the 80's/90's.

I found out about the fan-base and all the awesome fan made art/animations after first seeing the show.

I do think that If I heard of Bronies before seeing the show I would have been skeptical at first.

This is my first attempt at a poll, so hopefully it works right/makes sense.

Edited by steve88

Actually how I found myself into the fandom was through the show and a little convincing from my friends to try it out. Love Tara Strong allot and when I found out that she was the voice of Twilight Sparkle, I really had to listen to Twilight's voice. During her times of frustration when her voice gets lower, she has a little Teen Titans Raven in her voice. I think that was the final thing that sealed the coffin in a good way. I love the show. I'm here to stay in the fandom.

On the second question there isn't a N/A choice, and there sort of needs to be because a good chunk of bronies found the show after the fandom :confused: 

I heard about bronies, didn't care, really, decided to check into the hype when I was feeling down one day and fell in love with Rarity and everything else in the show :D That's all there is to it. Saw bronies, let them do their thing, watched the show, poof, here I am, madly in love with a fictional cartoon unicorn.

My life is strange.

• Brohoof 4

My first experiences with the fourth generation of the show was through Bronies. A bunch of members on another forum I was on in 2011 became Bronies and flooded the forum with pony pictures, references, and videos, and I was extremely confused. I knew it had something to do with My Little Pony because I had seen Generation One when I was a kid, but I wasn't sure what all the hype was about.

I didn't really hate Bronies since a lot of the members on the website were my friends, but even after they showed me the first two episodes I still thought it was a bit strange. It wasn't until a year and a few months later when one of my DeviantArt friends told me to give the show another chances that I became a Brony myself.

On the second question there isn't a N/A choice, and there sort of needs to be because a good chunk of bronies found the show after the fandom :confused:

Problem Fixed! and thanks  :) 

• Brohoof 2

When I heard of bronies, I thought they were dumb.

I didn't understand this new fandom

I wasn't aware of the new show

Years would pass before I would know

The past me mocked and jeered

Of this time, I am not endeared

I then saw the show and opened my eyes

The quality of it was a big surprise

I think many are like this:

Show first then, with others, reminese

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 3

I already was a brony before it was cool. Fan of the 80's MLP.

LOL- I definitely was NOT a fan of the old show and wanted to check it out to laugh at how crappy Tara Strong's part would be... Well that was the plan anyway!!!! :lol:

At that point I thought it still was the old show (and was shocked they were still making it). I didn't know It had been overhauled until I started watching.

Then I was like ??!?!?!?!?! :o WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!?!?!-- And why is my brain not melted yet!?!? :muffins:

Edited by steve88

LOL- I definitely was NOT a fan and wanted to check it out to laugh at how crappy Tara Strong's part would be... Well that was the plan anyway!!!! :lol:

Tara Strong was not in the 80s MLP, if that is what you mean...

When I first heard of bronies, I actually wasn't that surprised at all. I felt like gender equality is becoming more mainstream so I figured something like that would happen eventually. And throughout my childhood I thought it would be neat if boys liked girl stuff. However I didn't see too much pony pictures, memes, etc. on the internet. What I mostly saw was commercials for G3 and G4 MLP toys throughout my childhood.

I actually saw some pony related material way before FiM even aired. In the Spongebob episode "Christmas Who" Mr. Krabs wanted a pony. I've seen Disney's Hercules which had the pegasus, and Adventure Time has Lady Rainicorn. One of my favorite childhood films was Little Mermaid and one of my favorite childhood shows was Powerpuff Girls, animation starring females.

I first heard the term brony when I was in an MLP club last year. I was in there just to finish an art project. The club put on the Youtube video "Let's go and meet the bronies". At first I thought brony simply meant a male pony. And I don't know why but at first I thought FiM came out in 2007.

Edited by TheJLeeTeam

Tara Strong was not in the 80s MLP, if that is what you mean...

Sorry, I was editing that post when you posted.

I knew she wasn't in the old one. At the time I thought they were still making the old one and that she recently had joined the cast.

Edited by steve88

I never heard of bronies before watching the show.

I found my brother watching it, and before I had a chance to eat him, I gave it a show, and I loved it.

10 episodes in, he told me about the fandom, and I was like "ah. Well, I'm not a brony, I just like the show".

Upon loving the show, I then attempted to post some crappy fan art on dA, and encountered bronies in the wild.

I thought that it was the sh*t, being injuries under one flash just because of one single show. So then I said "f*ck it, I'm a brony."

My first experiences with the fourth generation of the show was through Bronies. A bunch of members on another forum I was on in 2011 became Bronies and flooded the forum with pony pictures, references, and videos, and I was extremely confused. I knew it had something to do with My Little Pony because I had seen Generation One when I was a kid, but I wasn't sure what all the hype was about.

I didn't really hate Bronies since a lot of the members on the website were my friends, but even after they showed me the first two episodes I still thought it was a bit strange. It wasn't until a year and a few months later when one of my DeviantArt friends told me to give the show another chances that I became a Brony myself.

This confirming my claim that the first two episodes are a terribad way to start with.
  • Brohoof 1

This confirming my claim that the first two episodes are a terribad way to start with.

Maybe the first two episodes aren't the best to introduce the show with, but I grew to like them after I became a Brony. I had to rewatch them after all, and I guess since I knew the characters and the writers and such I could appreciate it more on a second viewing.

Another thing that helped was the fact that so many people who worked on Ed, Edd, n' Eddy were a part a of the show. That definitely helped me warm up to it more.

"Applebuck Season" was the episode that got me hooked, so I still stand by that as one of the best first season episodes to start with simply because it's so funny and random. Either that or "Sonic Rainboom" because of the sheer awesomeness.

I technically watched the show before learning about the fandom. However, I wasn't invested in the series until I watched a couple of fan-animated videos on YouTube. I really didn't care that there was a fandom of adults considering there are plenty of children-based interests of mine that have a older cult following. 

Strictly speaking, I watched the show first. I saw the first episode the first time it aired in Canada. I thought it was interesting that they had remade a show I remembered despising in the 80's, and it seemed pretty well done, but I didn't think anything else of it at the time.

After the fandom made it huge, and art appeared everywhere, I went back and gave the show a second look, and was hooked. I bought the first three seasons on DVD so I could catch up faster than they were airing on TV up here in Canada, and then went looking for fan communities to join.

And that's how Equestria was made.

• Brohoof 1

I basically learned about the fandom and saw the first two episodes at the exact same time. When the series premiered, someone at another message board shared Youtube links to the first 2 episodes while mentioning something about bronies. I gave the show a shot, expecting it to be the dumbest thing ever, and now look at me.

I had seen the show a good bit before the fandom was really big or outside the board /co/. At the time viewing of my first episode the fandom hadn't really spread outside 4chan and /co/ and /b/. So I had watched the show long before I began to interact with the fandom. The show was gaining alot of steam in terms of viewership at the time, but the fandom was largly contained to 4chan during 2010 so I did not interact with the fandom until long after viewing my first episode.

Well...it was the tsunami; as you say. XD

It was on FurAffinity when I started seeing brony meme avatars; as well as pieces of artwork depicting the Mane 6 & Trixie as birds, and that's when I got curious, watched the first three episodes, and got caught on the ride. :)

I know- I almost didn't continue after the second episode. I thought it was better than I was expecting but I didn't think it was that great.. YET. I continued on because I thought there might be something to it.

HOW I ALMOST MISSED OUT ON BREAKING BAD is what made me decide to continue on to the third MLP episode even though I thought watching it sounded like a dumb thing to do. As you know I'm glad I did.

On a side note- when I found out John De Lancie (who was IN FREAKING BREAKING BAD) was Discord on the show- I thought it was one of the most hilarious things ever!!! :lol: 

Who would think the two most OPPOSITE shows from each other had a connection!!! :wau:

oh if you haven't noticed- I loved Breaking Bad

I kinda found out about the two simultaneously, it was a sorta video game review(which doesn't exist anymore)that introduced me to my little pony friendship is magic and the concept of being a brony. At the time I thought it was a joke but then I found another youtube user I liked who said the same thing, at this point I figured out it was real. In fact I still remember what I said to myself, it went something like this. "Oh right so they like the new my little pony and brony huh oh as in bro pony ahh right now this makes sense, oh they like to watch my little pony and they're grown men... well the clips of the show didn't look that bad and it's not like things like this haven't happened before. Yeah I have a pretty good memory.

I did find out about the show through a fan (someone had an MLP avatar on another site that I often went to) but I didn't find out about the whole brony fandom until much later when I joined an MLP site. My opinion of bronies was that they were a little odd, but I didn't have a problem with them.