Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Discussion Thread

Venomous

So I am working on my secondary team:  Gallade Flygon Crawdaunt Aggron Flosslass Roserade

I can see a pretty glaring weakness to Talonflame in this party (3 of 6 weak to either Fire or Flying), a defining force in the metagame currently. If your Aggron goes down, you're in for some pain. Flygon can know Rock Slide, though taking up a move slot for it probably isn't optimal.

Which 'mon is your Mega? If possible, try to keep potential Mega-Evolving 'mons to one. Often, a 'mon is only useful for its Mega (as is the case with Aggron). Only in a scant few cases is a Pokemon's Mega less useful than another item; a prime example is, funnily enough, the Eon Duo, or Garchomp.

I can see a pretty glaring weakness to Talonflame in this party (3 of 6 weak to either Fire or Flying), a defining force in the metagame currently. If your Aggron goes down, you're in for some pain. Flygon can know Rock Slide, though taking up a move slot for it probably isn't optimal.

Which 'mon is your Mega? If possible, try to keep potential Mega-Evolving 'mons to one. Often, a 'mon is only useful for its Mega (as is the case with Aggron). Only in a scant few cases is a Pokemon's Mega less useful than another item; a prime example is, funnily enough, the Eon Duo, or Garchomp.

I was thinking that Mega would be Gallade, making it in a way similar to Wally's. I was also thinking I would make my secondary team Hoenn only, (even though Gallade, Froslass, and Roserade didn't debut until Sinnoh) but what would you say I should change to close those tight ends if any?

I was thinking that Mega would be Gallade, making it in a way similar to Wally's. I was also thinking I would make my secondary team Hoenn only, (even though Gallade, Froslass, and Roserade didn't debut until Sinnoh) but what would you say I should change to close those tight ends if any?

Hoenn only? Lessee...I honestly can't think of anything other than breaking that rule and replacing Crawdaunt with Azumarill (which barely counts because of Azurill) and Roserade with...something that isn't Roserade. I just don't like that typing, and it gets ripped to shreds by any Psyshock known to man.

So did everyone else (Who plays competitively) hear about Mega Meta's possible ban to Uber?

It was only a matter of time. Increased stats almost around the board, stupidly fast speed, and an ability that improves 90% of his existing moveset, including Zen Headbutt and the already insanely damaging Meteor Mash? He's probably fourth most broken Mega, after M-Quaza, M-Mence, and Blaziken.

I'm not surprised, really. What actually is boggling my mind is how some people believe that this monster isn't broken.

The fact of the matter is this: Tough Claws magnifies the BST increase it gets from Mega-Evolving. 145 *1.33 is a stupefying 193 base attack. That's the highest Attack of any Pokemon in the game, even beating Mega Mewtwo X. Thus, it should not be treated as if it has a BST of 700; rather, it should be seen as having a BST of ~750.

Worse, Spiderman's defenses are 80/150/110, and its defensive typing is amazing. That's higher than Mega-Slowbro. Higher than Ferrothorn. Higher than Mega-Sableye. Like, what the shit? You'd expect the thing to be slow as piss, right?

WRONG.

Its base speed of 110 ensures it speed ties or outright outspeeds any un-Scarfed 'mon. Our prospective pool of checks or counters is rapidly dwindling, and the fact that Landorus-T can't even switch into it safely without getting smashed in the face by a Tough Claws boosted Ice Punch is ridiculous. I already hate Landorus-T, but now I feel bad for the cloud lion.

I'm not sure why Spiderman wasn't seen before Greninja as a threat, but, holy shit.

You know what else makes contact?

Grass Knot. A special move, which is inherently weird, gets the Tough Claws boost.

cy@ Slowbro.

Edited by SirOfScience

For those that want them:

All the third evolution of the UNOVA starters codes:

Serperior: pokemon497

Emboar: pokemon500

Samurott: pokemon503

How to get:

Mystery Gift -> Recieve Gift -> Get by Code. Then put in the above codes one at a time and BOOM! The three starters from Unova!

Anyway, my current team:

Deoxys 87 (Attack Form)

Blaziken 95

Linoone 76

Shiftry 71

Gyarados 66

Shroomish 14 (training slot)

I'm not sure why Spiderman wasn't seen before Greninja as a threat, but, holy shit.

Tanking is probably not the best option, since even rotom-W won't like a TC boosted Zen Headbutt, and that's if it doesn't hone claws.

List of pokemon over base 110 speed that can reliably deal with Megagross:

Myriad of choice scarfers...

Mega Houndoom

(Maybe) Mega Absol

Greninja(probably best counter)

Talonflame(bye-bye, Adamant versions)

Mega Manectric

Of course, if he rock polishes, all those counters are back to square one...

Welcome back, Shedinja, we missed you.

Getting ready to make Omega Ruby the first Pokémon game I've beat since 2007! Just have some more grinding to do and I'll head to the Pokémon League, do the things and get in the Hall of Fame.

Mms89ex.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I beat the league with a level 76~ Blaziken and 67~ Mega Metagross, well those two got me threw it lol but you're going to have to grind hard, Steven is not a push over like the original Ruby and Sapphire

Getting ready to make Omega Ruby the first Pokémon game I've beat since 2007! Just have some more grinding to do and I'll head to the Pokémon League, do the things and get in the Hall of Fame.

I see one problem:

Where's the companion that trusted you to defeat Team Magma and save the world, opting to come with you instead of staying with his sister?

Where's Latios in that party?!

I kid, I kid. Just get that Claydol to 50 or something and you'll wreck the League.

Actually, I don't know. You don't have any Legendaries on your team, and I had three.

I see one problem:

Where's the companion that trusted you to defeat Team Magma and save the world, opting to come with you instead of staying with his sister?

Where's Latios in that party?!

I kid, I kid. Just get that Claydol to 50 or something and you'll wreck the League.

Actually, I don't know. You don't have any Legendaries on your team, and I had three.

It's actually a rebuild of my original team from Ruby, just more reasonably leveled. Latios wasn't available until the post game in Ruby, so no Latios in this party. As for levels, I'm aiming for 55 - 62.

Here's where they stand right now.

tF8Ta5Z.jpg

Trying a new OU Scrafty set, what do you guys think?

Scrafty @ Life Orb

Ability: Moxie/Shed Skin (Since I don't have an HA Scraggy or Scrafty yet, plus intimidate is a bit meh on this set)

Nature: Adamant/Jolly

-Dragon Dance

-Drain Punch

-Poison Jab

-Outrage

I think I'd prefer Moxie, but Shed Skin is also a good option to stop all the Toxic Stallers (along with anybody who still uses will-o-wisp)

Dragon Dance: Obvious reasons for having this. Come in on something you'll force out, Dragon Dance for increased sweeping power.

Drain Punch: Stab boosted fighting move and the best way to recover the LO damage.

Poison Jab: Necessary for those nasty fairy types. (Yes, I'm looking at you Clefable)

Outrage: Once the fairy/steel types have been eliminated, this is a finisher for the rest of their team.

I could put Fire Punch in here somewhere for Ferro, but I think after a DD or a Moxie boost I could break through it just as well with Drain Punch. I could also put in Knock Off for the dual stab, plus knock off is just a good move in general, but that would all depend on the rest of my team I guess.

Edited by Twi the Totodile

I wouldn't bother with Poison Jab, really. Unless you're investing points into Speed (which I wouldn't recommend all that much, seeing as it's already abysmal), a Scrafty gets outsped by Sylveon or Espeon carrying Moonblast. Even so, here's the damage calculation:

252+ Atk Life Orb Scrafty Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Sylveon: 185-218 (46.9 - 55.3%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
That's the EV spread my Sylveon would run. Even with a DD, Scrafty is unable to OHKO Sylveon.

In conclusion, I would never use a Scrafty against any Fairy.

Here's another calc:

252+ Atk Life Orb Scrafty Poison Jab vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 234-276 (58.3 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Scrafty Poison Jab vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 351-413 (87.5 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Decidedly meh. I'd run Knock Off in place of Poison Jab.

@

Oh jeez that is pretty bad... I'll replace Poison Jab with Knock Off. I'll also add a Scizor to my team (Or another steel type if I can find a better one) to clean up fairies before Scrafty comes out.

Any other suggestions?

You should probably lose DD and go with Bulk Up. Scrafty's not really outspeeding anything with one DD, and he still gets outsped by most things with two. Unless you're trying to outrun something specific, it's better to go with the defense boosts.

Lose outrage. It doesn't really do much here, and pretty much any coverage move would be more useful. Last I checked, he learned Ice Punch, which is incredibly useful with all Landorus, Gliscor, and assorted dragons running around.

You should probably lose DD and go with Bulk Up. Scrafty's not really outspeeding anything with one DD, and he still gets outsped by most things with two. Unless you're trying to outrun something specific, it's better to go with the defense boosts.

Lose outrage. It doesn't really do much here, and pretty much any coverage move would be more useful. Last I checked, he learned Ice Punch, which is incredibly useful with all Landorus, Gliscor, and assorted dragons running around.

I was kinda thinking Bulk Up would be better, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Ice Punch is probably a good idea, I'll use that and see how it goes. I haven't played competitive in awhile, so I didn't know if Gliscor and Landorus were still common. (I figured Landorus would be, but I didn't know about Gliscor)

I was kinda thinking Bulk Up would be better, but I wasn't entirely sure.

Ice Punch is probably a good idea, I'll use that and see how it goes. I haven't played competitive in awhile, so I didn't know if Gliscor and Landorus were still common. (I figured Landorus would be, but I didn't know about Gliscor)

Defensive:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Scrafty: 278-330 (83.2 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Scrafty: 278-330 (83.2 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Offensive:

+1 4 Atk Scrafty Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 189-223 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 4 Atk Scrafty Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 236-280 (71.2 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(
1 bulk up and a low damage roll means you always survive a talonflame or M-mence encounter, even with no defense,which is the strongest thing you should encounter physically. It does pretty nice damage back, too, KOing after SR. Obviously, Gliscor and Landorus-T aren't stopping your sweep.
Edited by Shimmer5000