Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does bad grammar and spelling annoy you? Why or why not?

Lato

129 users have voted

1. 1. Does bad grammar/ and spelling annoy you?

• Yes
    • No

Yes. Really, really badly. Why? No idea, actually. It just does, and when it does, i almost always say it out loud. Doesnt help that one of my teachers is foreign, so i just silently stew on, not wanting to come off as rude.

They're times I cringe to the point or correcting couple of people of the words Quiet and Quite switched up. Typos I understand but I see it constantly for same couple of people who can type in decent English. It just baffles my mind, really.

Yeah, it starts to become a new plague of the Internet ;P Here is a bunch of examples of these mistakes:

you're / your

we're / were / wear / where

it's / its

would have been / would of been  (Very widespread! How couldn't they even notice the absurdity of "of" being used there?! :yay:)

they're / their / there

there's / theirs

too / to

off / of

lie / lay

lied / laid

dyed / died  (This one is funny. I once saw a YT comment: "Oh no she died her hair". I asked: "Did she bury them afterwards too?" ;) )

high / hi

here / hear

Some of them are justified for people whose native language is not English. They have right to be confused.

But when I see native English speakers committing such mistakes, it really hurts my brain :P

Edited by SasQ

Nope not really. I some of it funny but idk why.  I sometimes have a habit of using slang, so I'm really tolerant of things like that. I dunno why some people get so irritated by some of it, it ain't gonna kill you ^^.                                     

• 3 months later...

It doesn't really bother me at all, though if it's so bad I have to keep rereading what someone says to have any clue what they mean, I'm not exactly going to have a lot of fun :P

It really depends on where I see the bad grammar.

If it's on the internet, I usually don't mind if the person is still learning English. Obviously it's hard learning a whole new language.

Now, if they aren't still learning English, it's different. If it's on a forum or social media website that is strict on age, I can assume that the person is at least 13 and has been to school, and that they should be able to use proper grammar.

An old teacher of mine actually told a story about someone she knew who didn't use proper grammar because he was so used to using it all the time.

This guy she knows couldn't get into college because of his habit of using chat speak. He seriously used 'they're, there, and their' in incorrect ways, didn't capitalize any letters, and my personal favorite, he used 'lol' in part of it. Obviously this college denied him. So yeah, kids. Grammar really is important. If it stops you from getting into college one day, then it seriously needs to be worked on.

Bad grammar is really just a bad habit for those people who know proper grammar. But if the person is still learning, it's fine. It's just like learning any other language.

My own grammar and spelling mistakes annoy me the most. I don't mind other people using bad grammar or spelling so much as long as I can still understand what was said. It's not up to me to decide how other people should and shouldn't write, after all.

• 4 weeks later...

Overall...yes, it does annoy me! Especially my own and when it is in German.

Probably because I am a (extrem) perfectionist...a perfectionist with dyslexia. mlp-twtf.png mlp-theaddesk.png

Edited by Fluidty

Yes, it does bother me. I try to make sure that I am typing and spelling correctly at all times, otherwise I'll just annoy myself. With other people, it's not all bad as long as I can actually understand them. If someone types something that I just cannot decipher, I just tend to not bother replying.

Only time I let myself go with it and lacking on my capital letters and such is in IM's with friends.

I'm not sure how much I care anymore.  I usually put some measure of effort into my posts (fanfare plays, whoop-dee-doo), but - if all I'm doing is talking to a friend on Skype - immaculate grammar and spelling aren't really a must.  Though, speaking of friends...

I have a friend who's regularly driven crazy by common grammatical and spelling errors; ones that don't interfere with the reader's comprehension of the message.  Wich, eye add mitt, ownlee make me wants too tipe like dis.

If it is used jokingly or is an accident than, no it doesn't.

It is only annoying when I can't understand even the gist what they are trying to say whatsoever.

Edited by cmarston1

I try not to show I am TOO bothered with the misuse of grammar or misspelling words. Inside, it REALLY annoys me. I see a spelling error in the slideshow my professor at college created and cringe. I see someone use "their" when it should be "they're" instead. I try to let go and tell myself we are all only human and WILL make mistakes sometimes. On the other hand.. Someone old enough to understand grammar and spelling should use it. *sigh*

I suck at texting. It's very hard. So my grammar when I text is awful because I press all the wrong keys. That does not mean I'm illiterate or stupid. In fact, spelling doesn't really say much about your intellect. I have a friend who is very dyslexic but she is the smartest person I've ever met. Not being able to spell or purposefully not putting effort into it doesn't say very much about a person. That is a very antiquated idea. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't get too flustered about spelling mistakes but if it is done on purpose (like the 4 year old kinda way) then I can get annoyed. Yes I make mistakes aswell but I have a good excuse, English is my 2nd language.

I find bad grammar so annoying that I've begun correcting myself whenever I say something that is technically wrong, but that no one is bothered about. (In this case, my inner correction would thus be 'about which no one is bothered'.)