Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your region's accent

Zoraxe

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iowa/this-is-iowa-do-we-have-an-accent/24530054

No accent? Hmm... interesting, so I looked this up, and it seems Iowans do have an accent, but its very mild. The video gives a few words as an example that Iowans do, like pronouncing 'cot' and 'caught' the same. But I guess except for those minor things, they overall have no accent, except saying 'Milk' like 'Melk'.

What do you think, is this video wrong or correct in your opinion?

It depends on where you are on the border, but the closer in the middle you get, the less accent. I've never pronounced my words like in the video, nor has my family or people I know since most of them come from the middle of the state, or from the south eastern part. However, if you go towards the state lines, you get an intermingling of different accents from Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois and Nebraska. However, there are certain terms, that while not said with an accent, are pretty exclusively said in Iowa. This is due to our overwhelming Swedish and Norwegian immigrant population that settled the areas. 

My best friends mom, when I was a kid, she was from Illinois, and she said the words like the appeared in the video. It drove me and people she knew crazy. She's say it like 'Meelk' or 'Heppy Mill' instead of Happy Meal, and growing up around people that forced the idea of pronouncing words correctly, and were also educators, it would drive me crazy to hear her pronounce words the way she did.

If you grew up closer to Missouri, you might pronounce Washington like 'Warshing-ton'. 

I had a friend from the UK tell me that my lack of accent was boring LOL

Edited by Antidaeophobia

So I was watching some videos about accents, and I thought it would be cool to have a discussion about accents from our regions. So, lets talk about how silly we talk, or the people around us at least.

I'm from Massachusetts, I really don't have much of an accent nor do most people I know, but I do notice I do sometimes say words a certain way sometimes although I think its subtle when it does comes out, but then again I might sound super off to somebody out of my region and I just don't notice. :P

So here is a video of a lady speaking with the Boston accent, and she is so right about people faking the accent and calling it BAHHHSTON.

i'm also from MA and sometimes i'll get a bit of the bostonian accent even though i don't live there but its just something that comes and goes not really exaggerated like so many people believe (thats why i hate the movie Ted they make us MA women look really bad)

go to about  32:30

it´s german, but even german people sometimes have trouble understanding it.

that´s how people from my region talk( at least where i originally come from).

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, and we have a very distinct dialect and accent, as you will notice in this video.

Now, mine isn't as bad, but a bit of it is still there.

Edited by Overdrive
  • Brohoof 1

I don't agree with all the people saying they have "no accent".

First of all, you probably just don't notice it because everyone around you talks that way.

Second, there is no "normal american" way of talking, really. A midwest accent is still an accent.

• Brohoof 4

I live in Southern California which is a fairly diverse place so accents can vary a bit but the most common aside from me who really dosen't have much of an accent is the hispanic accent particularly Mexican with me being so close to the border. My Dad's side of the family immigrated to America from Italy so there are a lot of Italian accents in my family.

From Michigan. We don't have accents there. The rest of you do. ;)

I live in Thailand. Here we speak a completely different language.

I used to have a really good friend that was Australian. I started saying water the same way she did. (wauter)

I use Thai words in my normal speech. Like instead of why I say taam ai?

I often forget others sometimes don't understand Thai. I'[m forgetful like that.

I count in Thai half the time.

Okay, I'll admit that I say milk, melk, and don't pronounce my Ts at the ends of word. I also pronounce little, liddle, city, ciddy, both, bolth, clothes, cloze, mirror, mere, nightmare, nightmere (sorta spoils the nightmare moon joke). Silly Michigan accent. Can mimic others, though I have a hard time saying ya'll. My friend once even wrote that in a letter to me, like "How ya'll doing?" Who does that?!

I also pronounce have, half.

It depends on where you are on the border, but the closer in the middle you get, the less accent. I've never pronounced my words like in the video, nor has my family or people I know since most of them come from the middle of the state, or from the south eastern part. However, if you go towards the state lines, you get an intermingling of different accents from Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois and Nebraska. However, there are certain terms, that while not said with an accent, are pretty exclusively said in Iowa. This is due to our overwhelming Swedish and Norwegian immigrant population that settled the areas. 

My best friends mom, when I was a kid, she was from Illinois, and she said the words like the appeared in the video. It drove me and people she knew crazy. She's say it like 'Meelk' or 'Heppy Mill' instead of Happy Meal, and growing up around people that forced the idea of pronouncing words correctly, and were also educators, it would drive me crazy to hear her pronounce words the way she did.

If you grew up closer to Missouri, you might pronounce Washington like 'Warshing-ton'. 

I had a friend from the UK tell me that my lack of accent was boring LOL

Are you sure they don't say any of those things in the central parts? It can be pretty hard to spot your own accent. And even if there really isn't any accent, it seems like that is changing and a midwestern accent is in the first stages of developing.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/midwest/

I'm from northern Illinois, so no accent from this chick.

Are you sure about that?

Are you sure they don't say any of those things in the central parts? It can be pretty hard to spot your own accent. And even if there really isn't any accent, it seems like that is changing and a midwestern accent is in the first stages of developing.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/midwest/

Are you sure about that?

Yes, I'm sure. Most of the time, if you pick up on that sort of thing in public around here, people can usually tell if that person is either from the state line, or from a different midwestern state. If you don't pronounce your words correctly around my area, someone WILL correct you. It's a college town, so that's to be expected. We get a high influence of slang from Chicago though.

• Brohoof 1

I lived in New England, and while there i picked up the accent, it isn't very noticeable except when i drop my R's and speak a bit too quickly

• Brohoof 1

I don't agree with all the people saying they have "no accent".

First of all, you probably just don't notice it because everyone around you talks that way.

Second, there is no "normal american" way of talking, really. A midwest accent is still an accent.

I agree with you, no one knows about his accent because don't know about different accents in all, and mabe because people don't care about their accent, i think...

• Brohoof 1

Lemme tell y'all 'bout a little place called the South, where the chicken's fried, the tea's sweet, and the hospitality's...Southern.

In reality, I haven't picked up that accent. Maybe it's because I'm a filthy Yankee transplant, who knows?

Edited by skbl17
  • Brohoof 2

Western Canadian, specifically British Columbia. I've been told I'm easy to mark as a Canadian by Americans because I elongate my 'o's slightly, and I speak very fast.

After I took a multi-month trip through the U.K., my friends said I had a slight English accent after I came back. It's now gone, but most tellingly, I still put a definite inflection on one word - "pint".

Edited by Red Cedar

A while ago I took a little test(I don't remember where I found it, so don't ask) to determine where you were located based on phrases you use, e.g. soda or pop, fountain or bubbler, or pronounciations like "igg" or egg" etc... The results were impressively accurate.  A map was displayed highlighting the area you probably live.  It correctly found me right smack dab in the middle of about a 25 mile radius.  The only other area highlighted was a small place in New York about 1000 miles away.  I guess they speak the same as me.  I've been told by some I sound Canadian, and a few others have said I sound like I'm from the south side of Chicago.  I guess that makes sense since I'm right between the two in Wisconsin.

I live in the UK so of course i was a British accent but i don't know how i can describe a British accent XD

All i can say is that I and everyone else doesn't sound like this

(start at 1:39)

Edited by Code
  • Brohoof 1

The region I live in England is very agricultural. I guess there's a stereotype for people from here speaking in a certain... style? 

Waas gorn orn buh? Howes tha day gorn? 

Thankfully I don't speak like this...

Edited by Raritas
  • Brohoof 2