Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your region's accent

Zoraxe

First, being originally from Boston myself it's not "Bahstahn", it's BAWSTIN!" Okay, that's working class accent but if I was to type in the same manner in which I speak it'd come out something like this:

"Oh, my GAWD! Dat was so wicked KEWL! I can't beleeve it! Wait! On second thawt maybe she's a little mentle? Ya know? MENTAL? HAH! Hey! Don't PAHK dere! Dat's MY space! Git yah cah out'a dere! Go git youah own space! Pahk on da street, instead! I don't care if it's a HAWNDAH an' little! Don't pahk dere! Sheesh! Now I need a TAWNIC!"

Yeah, it would be something like that. LOL!

Edit: Wait! I gotta add more to this!

For those who're always baffled by "Worcester" it's "wustah!" (woo stah), "Quincy" is always pronounced with a "Z" as in "Qwinzee". (If you ever happen to be visiting, never, ever say it any other way. You could get mugged! LOL!) Oh! And the aforementioned "tonic" is the Bostonian way of saying soda or, as in common in the south, "coke".

Lemme tell y'all 'bout a little place called the South, where the chicken's fried, the tea's sweet, and the hospitality's...Southern.

In reality, I haven't picked up that accent. Maybe it's because I'm a filthy Yankee transplant, who knows?

You forgot one thing: The women are beautiful, the men are, more often than not, charming and fried okra is AWESOME! I honestly don't know how they do it. Any time I tried to fry okra it always came out as a greasy, nasty, gooey mess so kudos on anyone who can fry okra properly.

• Brohoof 3

Im from the north-east of england so my accnt is a mix of the poshy-posh accent that is steryotyped with england and the rough accent expected from manchester. Thats when im calm, when im angry i develop the accent of my city Hull, which sounds like a drunk taxi driver from new york who has forgotten how to pronounce their H's (serriously everyone around here calls the city 'ull)! :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 1

I'm from the Pittsburgh area, so the way we pronounce certain words is pretty unique. I'd like to think that the accent causes people to mumble.

I don't believe I have it because my family has moved around a lot, but I will mumble sometimes and use slang from this area occasionally.

I have a notable southern drawl, but in Texas our drawl is kind of different compared to many other southern states :please:

It's ironic, because I aspire to be an English teacher one day but in casual conversation I use a ton of double negatives :P Outside of that, I say "y'all" quite often and my I's turn into "ah" ("Ah like Rarity," "Skahpe" instead of "Skype.") 

Outside of that, not much special :rarity:

• Brohoof 3

I live on the tippy top of Ky, near Cincinnati, so we don't have much of an accent. Its fairly normal or neutral. Unless you came from about an hour or two south from here, some families accent will be a teeeeeny tiny tiny tiny bit southern.

The region I live in England is very agricultural. I guess there's a stereotype for people from here speaking in a certain... style? 

Waas gorn orn buh? Howes tha day gorn? 

Thankfully I don't speak like this...

You live in Cornwall, then, I take it?

You live in Cornwall, then, I take it?

That would be nice, but nah. East Anglia :P I suppose Norfolk and Suffolk are similar to Cornwall in this respect 

I speak with the Kettering Accent ^^. It's not very widespread. Just Kettering and it's surroundings use it.

1 key thing is we miss out a lot of "t"'s when speaking. i.e Butter to Buh'er, Kettering to Ke'ring etc.

Copied from Wikipedia because I'm a lazy bugger:

There is an accent known locally as the Kettering accent, which is a transitional accent between the East Midlands and East Anglian. It is the last southern midland accent to use the broad "a" in words like bath/grass (i.e. barth/grarss). Conversely crass/plastic use a slender "a".

(I'm was kinda surprised that it was on there ^^)

Edited by EddG
  • Brohoof 2

I come from a mixed Russian / Jewish ethnicity, and while most expect me to speak with a stark Russian accent, i actually have an Israeli accent. It's because i learned Hebrew alongside Russian as a toddler, and used the former a lot more than i used the latter.

Israeli accent is notorious for it's subtle 'H' - "Ow's everybody doing?" etc. It has a phonetic which the many other languages do not - the letter 'Chet' has a sound of what i'd compare to a cat's hiss (chhhhh); it comes from the top of your throat. The 'Th' sound is absent from Hebrew, so instead it sounds more like a 'Z'. You'd understand my spoken English well enough though as i made it a point to speak with as less accent as possible to make myself easier to understand when speaking other languages.

• Brohoof 1

before I begin there is no such thing as not having an accent there is an accent everywhere

now I have a Southwestern American accent (Mid-western Arizona)

I also have a two fake accents Scottish and Russian

• Brohoof 1

I'm Australian so I have an Australian accent. I am however from Queensland which is the Texas of Australia so I can sound pretty bogan sometimes.

Bogan=Redneck.

I say cunt alot too.

I live in Ontario, and I've heard that we have the best (a.k.a. most neutral) accents for TV. :o So think of...the most neutral Englsih speaker you can imagine, I guess. :/

P.S.

I've never heard a Canadian with stereotypical "Canadian accent"

I'm from the Netherlands, where some people's English feels like being attacked with a cheese grater. I don't know if you've ever heard a Dutch person speaking English, but I assure you in many cases it sounds terrible. In my case, you can still hear I'm not English or American but it's nowhere nearly as bad as many other people.

As for my regional Dutch accent...I've lived both in the East and West of the country so  don't have much of an accent, but the most prevalent one close by would be 'Haags', spoken in The Hague. I don't speak it very well although I can still talk with the accent from my old region, 'Twents' if I want to. I don't speak much of the dialect but the accent I can do.

• Brohoof 1

Well born here in the us, Illinois to be more specific, I have an "American" accent, which seems weird to me for some foreigners to call an accent. Yes it is different way to hear words but come on...If I did I would want an Italian accent. I got a lot of Italian in me :D.

Country accent/East Tennessee. It varies from person to person though. My voice for example, if I'm relaxed with people I actually trust or if I get very angry I have a bit of twang to my voice. However if I'm around people I don't know, just met, or I'm not close to I tend to pronounce things more clearly, some people say I don't even have an accent.

For the longest time I didn't believe Northwesterners had an accent. This was due a few things, like hearing from somebody how our accent can be preferred in the fields of customer service/working in a call center/etc, due to a lack of obvious regional pronunciation differences that would impede understanding. This was all heard via word of mouth though, and I can't find anything that would support it.

I did research! It turns out many Northwesterners are under the impression that we don't have an accent. Which is somewhat understandable, because we turn on the TV and hear all these other distinctive, popular, recognizable manners of speaking and aren't ever surrounded by them, so we come to believe that we are the norm and that everything else is a unique deviation. Which is probably natural wherever you come from, but we lack that sort of outside commentary that makes people realize they do have unique vocal quirks. Nobody ever makes fun of how we talk, for example, and we assume that's because there's nothing to make fun of instead of their not giving a crap about the Northwest :derp:

With us, it seems that we have a tendency to pronounce similar-sounding words exactly the same. Cot = caught, don = dawn, etc. Here's a pretty accurate example, that includes odd, ought, bull and bowl as well (these latter pairs are easier to hear the difference in for me, and I don't think I say them the same way). My friend also says pen and pin exactly the same.

https://soundcloud.com/kplunews/similar-sounding-words

Apparently some also change an "Ay" sound to more of an "ay-ee", which can result in confusing between "bag" and "beg". This is another thing I don't think I personally do, but I've heard it. Fun stuff. Here's a video of somebody who pronounces things like I do.