Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What is your favorite 90s Nickelodeon show?

Metallic Strings

Does Spongebob count since it was aired in 1999? Cuz I watch Spongebob all the time to this day. I have several DVDs of episodes that I go back to every few weeks. Probably my most-watched cartoon of all time clocking in 8/10 days of the year on average while I'm falling asleep.

And I still haven't seen all of it if you can believe that. I need to actually buy the full seasons. Most of what I've seen is seasons 1-3 and 6. I need to see ALL of season 1, 2 and 3 as well as 4, 5, 7 and I think there's even an 8 now. I've seen bits and pieces of all seasons though cuz I have a lot of DVDs with assorted and themed episodes both new and old.

I'm also one of those rare ones who actually likes Spongebob just as much after the movie though there are noticeable changes in animation and artstyle.

Two of the things that bug me the most in newer Spongebob, though some older Spongebob had it too just not as frequent, are the ugly-ass faces some of the characters get and then the ever-present dimples on character faces. In the early episodes the dimples were there when they were smiling for the most part but not when they weren't. Now they are always there and it makes their facial expressions really fuckin' weird looking.

But I will always love Spongebob. Best cartoon ever and nothing could make me not want to watch it.

And remember, kiddies: I'M A GOOFY GOOBER.

ROCK

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ren & Stimpy was the best show. And it used to scare me too, like when Ren used to get insanely mad with Stimpy.

Not to mention those weird adult references. Also, my mom hated that show along with Ed, edd n eddy.

By the way, there is a kid at my school named ren and I told him you should get a friend named stimpy because you'd get a good show on nick. He didn't get it at all.

Edited by Metallic guitar

Ren & Stimpy was the best show. And it used to scare me too, like when Ren used to get insanely mad with Stimpy.

It was my favorite too even though my mom wouldn't let me watch it sometimes (The only time I ever got to watch it was

when I was at my grandparents house)

I haven't seen anyone mention "Aaahh!!! Real Monsters" yet.

Loved ARM and was surprised to hear Chris Cavaugh had passed away last month. Not the most prolific VA, but more than a couple really big performances.

Total bummer.

Truth be told, although I didn't really dislike them (well, not many of them, anyway) I wasn't in love with any of them. The only ones I think I really liked were Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents (did that start in the 90s or the early 00s? I do not remember lol). Otherwise I much preferred Cartoon Network.

I'd say Rugrats, since I didn't like Ren & Stimpy much until I was older. Hey Arnold is also one I sometimes watched. Beyond that...I'm not too sure what was originally on Nickelodeon to be honest. It wasn't called that here when I was young and a lot of its shows were broadcast on other networks so I might have watched other shows that used to be Nick but weren't around here.

Original line-up didn't feature much in the way of cartoons. Vaguely recall Popclips, Video Comic Book, By the Way, Nickel Flicks, and Pinwheel. The latter being the forerunner of Nick Jr.

Wanna say they only ran programming for eight or ten hours a day. Don't believe they ran a regular animated series until Doug, Rugrats, and Ren & Stimpy.

Pretty much everything before that was low budget live action fare or syndicated programming - You Cant Say That on TV, Mr Wizard, Tomorrow People, Welcome Freshman, etc.

A lot of cheap imports from Canada and the UK actually.

Could cite Muppet Babies or David the Gnome, but they weren't produced for Nickelodeon.

And I just made myself feel super old.

Garfield was a syndicated CBS show. Same with Peanuts.

Was super stoned when Nick picked them up in the late 90's though.

Stoked, not stoned. But,yeah, probably that too actually.

Edited by TSD

For me, Angry Beavers was the pinnacle of Nickelodeon TV. They pulled off slap-stick so well and the humor overall was just SO WELL DONE, IMO.

Besides that, I also enjoyed Hey Arnold, Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, The Wild Thronberries, and Invader Zim.

Rugrats was all right too.

• Brohoof 1

I know I've seen pretty much all of the shows people have mentioned above.

Out of them I remember liking these the most:

• Rugrats
  • Angry Beavers
  • Earlier Spongebob episodes (I was 9 or 10 when that came out)

I would say my favorite was

• Hey Arnold

I watched some of it over again over the past couple of years because my sister would nany for my aunt and would show my cousins shows we watched when we were younger. She told mme I HAD to re watch some of it on YouTube. There's so much I didn't catch as a kid. The main thing I didn't realize was how bad of a situation Helga was in. I always thought she was just a jerk. I actually feel bad for her now because her dad is just an ass and HER MOM WAS FRICKEN WASTED ALL THE TIME ON "SMOOTHIES"!!!!!! :o;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ybmu7_Gz4

:lol:

(I also just realized that Granny Smith is like a 50/50 mix of Arnold's grandparents Phil and Pookie from what I remember)

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

Oh and here I was thinking like real people show xD lol!!

rugrats

Rocket power

Spongebob

Invader Zim

Ahhh real monster

Hey arnold

The 90's show (real life) would be

amanda show and kenen and Kel

• Brohoof 1

Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers, and classic Spongebob. I feel like Rugrats is pretty overrated. 

It's not from the 90s so I don't know if it would count for this list, but it did get canceled about 9 years ago and it began its run in 2001 so I'm going to go ahead and say Invader Zim is also on the list. 

Oh and here I was thinking like real people show xD lol!!

rugrats

Rocket power

Spongebob

Invader Zim

Ahhh real monster

Hey arnold

The 90's show (real life) would be

amanda show and kenen and Kel

Finally someone mentions aaahh real monsters.

I don't think I've watched that many myself, but I used to like Spongebob, Blue's Clues, some Danger Mouse and Rugrats too. Never watched enough Hey Arnold!, for some reason...  >_>

:  Since this topic has to do with cartoon shows, I'm moving it to the Media Discussion section of the Everfree Forrest.  In the future, please remember that topics having to do with cartoons belong there, and not in General Discussion.

• Brohoof 1