What started the "hugs" movement on here?

Dewdlz

I'm curious what started the whole *hugs* idea. It seems like most people I've talked with via MLPF and Skype does this. Usually it's just a random saying when someone's in distress, whether it's meaningful or not I'm not sure. I kind of find it annoying to be honest because hugs are much more physically comforting and meaningful if it's a real hug. It's just trendy I guess. I say this because if someone wasn't feeling great, I would rather speak to them about it, than say *hugs*. It's just unhelpful in my opinion. I've noticed it progressing over time, and now I see it everywhere.

So, what do you think started it all? Maybe from another site or did it snowball into something common? 

• Brohoof 3

First time I ever saw the "FREE HUGS!" was in an Anonymous video uploaded back in like.. 2008.

It's certainly not from MLPf, nor the fandom. It's just a more personal way to have empathy for someone in distress, or to show affection.

Whilst the optimal option can be to see about talking a problem through with someone, sometimes a hug is all they're looking for. I know I've felt that way before, and even though there's no physical contact, a *hug* from the right person can have just as much meaning.

• Brohoof 4

It's certainly not from MLPf, nor the fandom. It's just a more personal way to have empathy for someone in distress, or to show affection.

Whilst the optimal option can be to see about talking a problem through with someone, sometimes a hug is all they're looking for. I know I've felt that way before, and even though there's no physical contact, a *hug* from the right person can have just as much meaning.

I see. I used to be on DA forums, but I never seen it of the sort so it's quite new to me. Also, when it's said a lot it doesn't feel whole-hearted and honest, it's just saying it because it's a common thing, but that's just how I feel about it. 

I don't see how you could determine where exactly it first started if it even has a definitive starting point at all. In any case it's here now and as you say quite common and unlikely to go away soon.

I agree it's fairly annoying, largely unhelpful and generally insincere. It strikes me as a pseudo-empathetic gesture that has turned into a trend.

• Brohoof 1

I also found it quite annoying at first. But at the end, it's people trying to make you feel better, so I keep my mouth shut.

• Brohoof 1