Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is finding accents amusing racist?

KraznorG

Recently saw Chappie and was once again reminded, the South African way of speaking English is...colorful? I'm already self-conscious about it being a racist thing to think it sounds funny, but Sharlto Copley SOUNDS funny to me. Is that bad? I'm Canadian, so I imagine I have speech affectations I don't notice and if someone else is amused by them, so be it. 

Even moreso than his robot voice in Chappie, when he was trying to be the "scary" bad guy in Elysium I found it even funnier. Like Rhys Darby from Flight of the Conchords but trying to be threatening and it just not working. Tickled the funny bone a bit though.

So, apologies to South African folks with pronounced accents  but I AM snickering at you and I feel self-conscious about it.

• Brohoof 2

Depends on you. Are you ready to get your own language/accent laughed at ?

If you're able to laugh and accept other laughing about your own accent, then it's okay.

But honestly, thinking an accent is funny won't make you racist anyway. Racism is much worse than that.

• Brohoof 1

No. Main reason being, it's more than possible for people of the same race but different geographical origins to speak the same language in different ways; nothing racist about a white Texan making fun of a white New Yorker's accent.

But I'm sure you mean whether or not it's "culturally insensitive", yes? To a certain degree, it can be. Kind of depends on the intent of the person who finds the accent amusing. If they merely get a kick out of the fact that it sounds bizarre to them, then there's nothing really wrong with that. If they get all uppity about it ("Ermagerd, lurn 2 speek englush u dum yokel ahahaha") and judge you as a person merely for the way you speak, then that's just ignorant.

• Brohoof 2

An accent is developed according to your environment and spoken language(s); it isn't tied inextricably - nor exclusively - to race.  Had I been born in the U.S. and then moved to South Africa at a fairly early age, I'd likely have a South African accent.  I don't think it's inherently racist to find an accent humorous.  However, if someone with a humorous accent is saying something overtly racist, finding what they say funny might make you racist.  Or indicate that you've a very poor sense of humor.

• Brohoof 1

Eh. Not really. 
Finding an accent of a particular group funny doesn't mean you look down on the group (To a degree that you consider them inferior). 
And its not necessarily racist either, I mean the UK has like 150 different accents and whilst I'd assume some people might get offended by people taking the piss, its definitely NOT racist to find them amusing.

Is finding an accent attractive wrong? No. Same with it being funny. Many movies and shows add such accents just for comedy.

• Brohoof 1

Accents aren't race-bound. So no, liking an accent can in no way shape or form make you racist. Hell, even disliking an accent isn't offensive. You just don't like it that much, it's not your fault. As long as your aren't crusading against said accent in an extremist fashion on tumblr then you're good to go.  :nom:

I don't think it should be considered racist unless you're doing it to discriminate. It's kind of a gray area. Probably one of those situations where it depends who you do it around.

I think accents are amusing, because they are just so out there, ya know? :) Like, it's interesting because it kinda differentiates from what you expect from someone in your country. Small world.

I wouldn't say it's racist. I mean I even make fun of my own accent at times. 

Though it is racist to base someone's intelligence on their accent. I think the main reason why people saw me as extremely smart is because they assumed that I was an idiot because of my southern drawl. I have above average intelligence, but people seem to only focus on the fact that I'm smarter than I sound. 

Fuck no, I myself find many accents amusing but that doesn't mean I hate the people who speak like it.

Also, an accent isn't something you get depending on your race, your accent depends on your nationality and where you're raised therefore it can't be at all racist, only prejudice. 

Edited by Lag Spike
  • Brohoof 1

Not at all! As long as you don't bash it.

I find all British accents amusing, including other accents of the English language (yes, I even like some of the American accents (Boston, Brooklin, Southern, etc.). I even find Australian and New Zealand accents cool and fun to listen to. :)

• Brohoof 1

If you're not being hateful about it, then I don't see why it would be a problem. It's not like it's a learned or forced reaction. It's always good to question why you feel a particular way about something though, so that you can evaluate why you do what you do. I think that just by questioning whether your reaction to an accent is racist, you are being more awesome than most. :D

• Brohoof 1

No, there's nothing racist about it. The political correctness these days is absurd. Humanity is often amusing, and that includes differences like accents.

• Brohoof 2