Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The 80s Nostalgia thread

Zoraxe

(edited)

As I was born in the 90s, I completely missed the 80s. But... I think a Nostalgia thread for those that were in the 80s should exist. So here is a thread for you 80s folks to talk about movies and fashion and TV and overall other 80s stuff.

Here is the 90s Nostalgia thread.

https://mlpforums.com/topic/125795-the-90s-nostalgia-thread/

And the 2000s thread.

https://mlpforums.com/topic/131568-the-2000s-nostalgia-thread/

In any-case, I now like some things from the 80s, like transformers and movies so I guess there are things younger people can talk about even if it wouldn't be nostalgia for us.

As for me, am planning an 80s themed week, where I listen to 80s music, play 80s video games, and wear 80s fashion. Watching 'Back to the Future' is totally on my list. So any-ponies here have any suggestions for 80s week? go ahead and share some ideas please!

sig-3650049.img-3650049-1-862072__safe_p

Edited by Zoraxe
  • Brohoof 3

I was born in the late 80s, so absolutely no nostalgia for me. I tend to find pretty much everything about the 80s cheesy. Sometimes in an amusing way (the cartoons), but other times it's just really annoying. The 80s is one of those decades I think should be left back where it is.

• Brohoof 1

I was born '98 so unfortunately ALSO missed out on the 80s but it doesn't stop me from living it every day ;) I actually collect different items from the 80s such as cassettes and cassette players, jean jackets and such.. and honestly I love it cause going home and popping in Reign In Blood album or Take on Me by Ah-Ha is just so great :3 every time I find a new cassette I kinda feel like fluttershy when she first found out about spike lol ;P but yea... that's just my opinion of the 80s..

• Brohoof 2

I was born in 1982.  My first console was a Nintendo Entertainment System, and the first game I played on it was Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt.  I watched shows like Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, He-Man, Thundercats, and Voltron, and I remember films like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (originally retitled "Warriors of the Wind" for American audiences) and Monster Squad.  VHS tapes and cassette tapes were a thing; bugs would sometimes get into the former and DIE, ruining the tape.  I remember the old computers (I guess they were Apple II's - not certain) in my grade school and hurrying to finish my work so I could play Mario Bros., Montezuma's Revenge, or Spy Hunter.  Floppy disks!

• Brohoof 5

Nostalgia is a silly thing, it makes people think that the period they were born in is superior to those in the future, though if you went back in time things would actually get worse rather than better.

Anyway born in 98, had a SNES at one point but my family gave it away to a kid who basically had nothing in terms of gaming.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I was born in 1986, yet I remember the 80's, I remember playing Nintendo, my cousin's NES anyway, for Super Nintendo was my first console. The nostalgic I feel for the eighties, is seldom felt, the nineties are the decade I remember most, a lot of what I do such as playing Pac-Man or Tetris, kind of put me back in time, these are my favourite games, so when I play them I feel like I have gone back in time, when my father played these games at an arcade, then I did the same thing when I matured. I did grow up watching eighties cartoons, like the Thundercats, Care Bears, Dave the Gnome and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, this is the main attachment I have for the eighties, I also saw Naussica of the Valley of Wind in Japanese, with subtitles, we saw it on a local channel in Kyoto on my first trip overseas, it was my first time seeing Anime, so when I see the film again I instantly feel nostalgic, even when Disney dubbed it into English in 2004, that nostalgic is still there, finally, this was also the decade that gave us MST3k, my favourite TV show of all time.
https://youtu.be/bs0osMzTZQA

Edited by King Edouard
  • Brohoof 1

Heh....................the 80's were the 80's............some good...........some bad............Mostly Cheesy....Enjoy

• Brohoof 3

Nostalgia is a silly thing, it makes people think that the period they were born in is superior to those in the future, though if you went back in time things would actually get worse rather than better.

Many of the things I still enjoy today came out of the 80's.  And it's not really "nostalgia" if they never left you; I never stopped playing classic games.  Super Mario Bros. > Call of Duty.

• Brohoof 3

Many of the things I still enjoy today came out of the 80's.  And it's not really "nostalgia" if they never left you; I never stopped playing classic games.  Super Mario Bros. > Call of Duty.

Meh, it's that most nostalgic folks I've come across have this idea that if it wasn't made in the same period they were born in it is automatically bad.

• Brohoof 4

Meh, it's that most nostalgic folks I've come across have this idea that if it wasn't made in the same period they were born in it is automatically bad.

Well obviously that sort of thing is silly; good things have come out of every subsequent decade.  Bad, too.  In some ways I prefer looking back, but in other ways...  I'm glad to be precisely where I am at the moment.

• Brohoof 4

There were some pretty messed up toy lines in the 80's; though I honestly miss Food Fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ABhmCSI_w&feature=player_detailpage

But Patty Plate Glass was just plain disturbing.

post-26550-0-32865700-1428601302.jpg

The 80's had some great music.  Some awful music.  And some music that was so awful you had to love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scu81EW4UC8&feature=player_detailpage

^ That Lauper song was used in the Goonies II NES game. x )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4YnWcnAg14&feature=player_detailpage

• Brohoof 2

I was born in 1989 so I was too young for absurd hair or studded leather jackets.

There's some good stuff out of the 80s but I must admit I get annoyed by jaded 30-somethings complaining about newer cartoons.  I run into those a lot online.  80s was like any decade.  A few gems shining in mediocrity.  :P  

• Brohoof 1

I was not born in the in the 80s, but I like a lot of things from the eightees, the most memorable thing for me being the apparition of the first chapters of Extreme Metal music. Genres like Thrash/Old school Death/Old School Black and Prog. Metal defines my musical tastes as for the 80s. I like a lot of classic albums but more in the Thrash departement honestly. Aside from that I don't think there's other thing from the 80s that I could really care about.

Edited by ObliveonBr0ny

Ahhh the 80's,  how we miss that epic of band hair metal,  the happy

dances and bright colors that blinded our eyes also leggings.....

Than you get the  Iconic movies:

ET

Ghostbusters

The Lost Boys

Back to the Future all 3 of em

Star Wars

Star Trek

Dirty Dancing

and sooo many to.....count

My favs:

The Last Unicorn

Legend

Labyrinth

• Brohoof 4

I'm going to have to watch me some 80s transformers and other such cartoons, they have a certain appeal to them.

And of coarse, 80s Pony.

Debatable.

Some things were better, if not all things.

For example, there wasn't obamacare.

• Brohoof 1

Debatable.

Some things were better, if not all things.

For example, there wasn't obamacare.

Well technology is certainly better, social standards has improved (such as views on gays) and medicine has improved. So no, not all things were better.

Also, please don't turn this into a political debate, this thread isn't for that.

• Brohoof 1